Asus P5WDH Deluxe

joeyjeremy

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Hey Guys Im planning to get a good motherboard and im upgrading my old copmuter so it has the updated technology of PCI-Express and DDR2 etc..

Im just want to know if this is a good motherboard... and also why its good and if you have heard anything good and bad about it...???

Today I asked some shop and they said this model was discontinued already, whereas some shops say its not even out yet and its the only motherboard is supports the new conroe processor coming out in a couple of weeks (Im From australia)

Im also worried about this thing it was said on this site:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Asus_177.html

Note: In order for a Core 2 DUO (Conroe) processor to work with this mainboard you may require to perform a BIOS update which will require an older processor or contacting Asus for a new BIOS chip. OcUK does not provide a BIOS flashing service and will not accept used product back unwanted as this board does support Conroe with Asus latest BIOS.

Thanks GUYS!! More Infomation the better and i can stop pulling my hair out!! :p :p :p :p

joeyjeremy

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
keep coming with suggestions and some answers to my questions

*sorry i havent been up to date with teh technology its been 5 years i havent upgraded my comp* :p
becoz its been good enough

kye3k1

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I have this very board and I have a pentium D 805
Everything works good, I have overclocked te CPU to 3.6GHz. I couldnt figure you why it wouldnt let me get my CPU past 3.6GHz despite the CPU only being 35C. I have just installed the extra programs that tell you the temp of the mobo and CPU etc and found something very disturbing. The mobo is 50C! Should it be this high? I know that the mobo came with a little fan maybe I should put that on? but I wouldnt know where to put it. How can I reduce the temperature of the mobo
I have a Thermaltake Kandalf Super tower with 4 fans, one of which nicelt aligned to take away the CPU heat from the HSF.

Would knocking up the multiplier and lowering the FSB help or would that just make it worse?
i.e multiplier 25
FSB 144

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I have one, I really like it. My system temp reads 47-51c, but a thermometer shows the case temp is just 38c at full load. Sensors can be mis calibrated.

You can order a BIOS chip from Asus, it's $20 in the US. This board has everything someone could want. It's unknown if it will work with retail Conroes or not, just that the shipping BIOS does not work with the Engineering Samples.

landlocked32371

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
i just recieved my board, and parts for a D805 build with this mobo yesterday. this is a VERY fully featured board. if you do not intend on using some of the extras, you MAY be better of waiting for something a little less featured, for less money.

the big sell on this for me was the 100% hardware controlled backup, and the external SATA port. Add to that the compatibility with Conroe made it an easy choice for me.

the other reasoning i used, is that this board is based on an existing motherboard and 775 chipset that has already been out for a while.

965, while less expensive, it is also brand new. and all brand new technology can be buggy. it doesnt mean it necessarily WILL be.

all that being said, the gigabyte boards do look very interesting, and had they been available a couple of weeks ago id have been VERY tempted to try one out.

also, whatever you buy, do NOT skimp on a power supply. plan on spending $75-$100 on a good quality one. MANY issues can arise with lower quality PSU's that can be extremely frustrating.

anyway...thats my 2 cents worth of opinion.

kye3k1

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
So my mobo at 50C is nothing to worry about?
I have added the extra little fan that comes with the mobo and it reduced it by 3C
I have PC Probe II installed (bundled with the mobo) and it reads the mobo as in the dangerous temperature zones. Is it just pissing me off or is it really something I should look into?

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I use sensors view and have it show system temp minus twelve degrees. My case is cool, the heatsinks are cool too. The sensor is WRONG!

It gives me a excuse to RMA it if it's a bad overclocker too. :wink:

The sound on this board it the best I ever heard. Driverless RAID, WiFI, and a remote I'll never use. It has the 1333 MHz strap, and many other great overclocking features.

kye3k1

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
My motherboard has peaked at 57C. So you are saying the sensors are wrong? In this case my mobo is 45C which is the peak it can go to. I am not too sure about this, it still seems a little hot, after all the CPU is always cooler, and thats not normaly the case :?

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
It must be wrong. The CPU can not be cooler than the temp of the case with air cooling.

Put a thermometer in the case some where near the top and see the real temp. Then subtract the difference from you readings. The mobos sensor in right above the RAM slots.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
A drug store, Wallmart, super market, some store(I don't know much about the UK), a electronic one that measures a persons temperature will work.

Volleypro

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Not trying to ninja your thread but can you guys tell me if this board will work with a Nvidia 7800GTX? I just purchased this board and was planning on putting my old 7800GTX into it.

However, I received a PM from a friend that said:

"Have fun trying to get it to work. Crossfire and sli don't work together. You will need to either get a new m/b or get ati v-cards only."

Is this accurate? If so, can you suggest a decnet but not too pricy video card to get? That is until I can afford dropping money on a good one? :)

Thanks,

landlocked32371

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
I just assmebled my system last night. Went together perfectly, POSTed, partitioned, installed XP, and anti virus just fine. I still need to install a bunch of drivers, but i started getting sleepy.

Im using a nvidia 7600gs, and it works just fine. I realize that its not a top notch gaming card, but then im not huge into games. Newegg had it for $99 after the rebate.

I was far more interested in photoshop performance, so i spent a bit more money on ram, and an entry level dual core processor. In Jan/Feb i will likely get a mid range conroe, and if i start getting more into games, a more game oriented video card since the next generation will be directx 10 capable.

I havent done any overclocking yet. Id like to wait a bit and get everything stable and burned in before i do that.

Hey CONROE....What would you recommend to burn in the system? From what ive read, Prime95 seems to be what most people use. Any opinions?

Do you think i should install anything else before i hook up to the internet?

coolrmaster

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
3.6 with a pentium d 805? I should have my p5w dh by next weekend and pland to oc the d 805 as well. Hoping for at least 3.8ghz on air. I will use this until the conroe frenzy settles down then pick one up. I tried the gigabyte 965-ds3 and had to send it back because of some problems.

other parts:
Zalman HSF
gskill DDR-800 4-4-4-12
7900gt
150gb raptor

Jetpac

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
my friend has 805 prime stable at 4.01 ON AIR.
using the top zalman cooler (figure 8 heat pipe, cant remember the model now)

Rift

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
heck, I can't even find anyone who has this board in stock. The one vendor who said they had it oin their website sent me an email that it was actually on backorder. Anybody have a source that actually has these?