W2K Domain controler

ricardo

Can a W2k act as PDC in a NT domain ?

How can I check in a Windows NT who is its PDC ? And in a W2K Server ?

regards

Ricardo

"Ricardo" <Ricardo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can a W2k act as PDC in a NT domain ?

No, but only because there is no such thing as a
Win2000/2003 DC in an "NT domain" -- a domain
with even a single Win2000+ DC is by definition
and by having an Active Directory a Win2000+ AD
Domain.

If you only have one such Windows AD DC, then it will
be the PDC Emulator and provide similar services to the
to the BDCs as the PDC did -- but it is "just a DC" in
Win2000+.

> How can I check in a Windows NT who is its PDC?

Generally the Domain Admin should 'know' this as a matter
of having set it up -- but Server Manager will show it too.

> And in a W2K Server ?

(Same preface) But several tools including primarily the
AD Users and Computers will show it (right click on Domain
and check Roles for the PDC EMULATOR.)

> regards
>
> Ricardo

ricardo

OK, but I'd like to know if there's a command line that shows me informations
about the domain the server belong and if the server is a DC or not (if not,
who is its DC).

> OK, but I'd like to know if there's a command line that shows me
informations
> about the domain the server belong and if the server is a DC or not (if
not,
> who is its DC).

You didn't indicate command line the first time, but
there are several tools:

nltest /dclist:Domain_Name

....gets the list of DCs and shows the PDC (emulator)

NLTest /DSGetDC can get a bunch of different special roles/jobs:

/DSGETDC:<DomainName> -
Call DsGetDcName /PDC /DS /DSP /GC /KDC
/TIMESERV /GTIMESERV /NETBIOS /DNS /IP
/FORCE /WRITABLE /AVOIDSELF /LDA

DCDiag returns the names of the role holders as part of it's checks
that they are working. (But it's buried deep in the output.)

I couldn't get (the obvious tool) NTDSUtil to do it with a few
minutes testing -- NTDSUtil will transfer roles and you can
inspect a specific server but it doesn't seem to list those roles
if you don't know where they are located.

You didn't indicate the reason for needing a command line, but
if you don't like the easy GUI method then likely you are trying
to automate something and that means you will likely find the
above less that ideal (verbose output that will need to be
piped through Perl or find etc.)

I suspect a combination of DSQuery Servers and perhaps
DSGet servers might do it but I didn't work out the switches
needed.