HP LaserJet 2300 "feature": HP-only toner?

Our new HP LaserJet 2300n comes with this advertised feature: "The printer
checks for authentic HP print cartridges". Does this mean what I think it
means? Only HP toner cartridges are allowed? And HP considers this a
feature to advertise, along with things like the page-per-minute speed and
memory size?

For what is worth, HP is not the only one who chipped its Toner. The good old
days of taking the empty toner cartridge and drill a hole to fill toner are
gone. You see, the chip has to be replaced each time the toner is rebuilt or
refurb'd now. I think HP started with the LJ 1300, 2300, 4100, etc. There are
litigations in different courts pit the OEM makers vs Reman'd toner vendors. I
have heard some vendor's would allow non-OEM toner in its printer but the
print speed will be less than half. Don't remember where I read that now.

Dewaine

ljb wrote:

> Our new HP LaserJet 2300n comes with this advertised feature: "The printer
> checks for authentic HP print cartridges". Does this mean what I think it
> means? Only HP toner cartridges are allowed? And HP considers this a
> feature to advertise, along with things like the page-per-minute speed and
> memory size?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

I suggest that you talk to compatible suppliers and remanufacturers of 2300
cartridges, there is at least one supplier of chips that can replace the chip
on the cartridge (very simple to replace). Remanufactured 2300 cartridges are
definitely available in most if not all parts of the world, done properly there
are no patent implications. You can also buy the chips but probably only in
lots of 10 or something like that (you would probably have to buy the same
quantity of toner also from the same source). So I suggest you look to buy
compatibles or remanufactured cartridges since home refilling of one cartridge
more than once or twice has serious complications. A reputable supplier will
provide a product every bit as good as an OEM cartridge (some are actually
better for certain models!!!!).
Tony

Tony wrote:

>I suggest that you talk to compatible suppliers and remanufacturers of 2300
>cartridges, there is at least one supplier of chips that can replace the chip
>on the cartridge (very simple to replace). Remanufactured 2300 cartridges are
>definitely available in most if not all parts of the world, done properly there
>are no patent implications. You can also buy the chips but probably only in
>lots of 10 or something like that (you would probably have to buy the same
>quantity of toner also from the same source). So I suggest you look to buy
>compatibles or remanufactured cartridges since home refilling of one cartridge
>more than once or twice has serious complications. A reputable supplier will
>provide a product every bit as good as an OEM cartridge (some are actually
>better for certain models!!!!).
>Tony da Tiger
>
>ljb <ljb220@mindspring.com.nospam> wrote:
>

>>Our new HP LaserJet 2300n comes with this advertised feature: "The printer
>>checks for authentic HP print cartridges". Does this mean what I think it
>>means? Only HP toner cartridges are allowed? And HP considers this a
>>feature to advertise, along with things like the page-per-minute speed and
>>memory size?

To follow up my own post, having actually found the answer: yes the
toner cartridges are 'chipped', but the printer does not require use of
only those cartridges. Apparently if you use a non-HP cartridge in
the 2300 (and yes they are available), the printer will 'scold' you
through its front panel, and certain features like toner status won't work,
but the printer will print. I still think it's funny that HP considers
it a feature to 'check for authentic HP print cartridges'.

ljb wrote:
> Our new HP LaserJet 2300n comes with this advertised feature: "The printer
> checks for authentic HP print cartridges". Does this mean what I think it
> means? Only HP toner cartridges are allowed? And HP considers this a
> feature to advertise, along with things like the page-per-minute speed and
> memory size?

This machine doesn't insist on HP-only cartridges. That's actually
illegal under the laws of most countries. The machine has a number of
features in it for tracking toner usage and does predictive analysis of
when a cartridge will need replacing. It can do this via the embedded
web server of by HP Web Jetadmin.

If you use a non-HP cartridge then the machine doesn't know how much
toner was in it to start with and therefore can't work out how much
toner is left in order to do its analysis of when it will need replacing.

--
Mushroom