Not running like it should...

Cramer

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot i was directed here by a friend.

My Comp i believe is running under what it should be. I have to have everything turned down short of Res graphics wise running mainly source games and RO (UT engine) which shouldnt tax it too much. The res i have in 1280*1024 being a LCD... Im just wondering where the bottleneck is or if i should be looking software probs, or if its just plain poor, heres the specs:

Important Stuff:
Generic Asus MB
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz
1 Gig of Value Select Corsair RAM
GigabyteGeForce 6600GT (AGP)
Creative Audigy 4 SB

Now i know its all crappy sort of stuff, im a student and so im poor :oops:

Unimportant Stuff:
BenQ 17" LCD FP71E
Studio works or some crapppy LG 17" CRT
Generic Multimedia KB
Logitec G5
Really Expensive Antec PSU (no middle ground on those D: )

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Sorry for asking a question to YOUR question but........what is your comp NOT or SHOULD be doing? YOu didn't say what the problem was ??? :?

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
i dont know if the 6600GT can hold 1280x1024 in games. That's probably your bottleneck. Try to reduce detail/resolution and see if it helps

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Kinda waiting for your response to paybax there, however, if your machine just seems slow, Cntrl+Alt+Del and how many process are running? I've recently became aware that some software really use up a lot of CPU power,(Qwests new install stuff for their DSL). I have seen 50+ process running in the back ground choking an otherwise good comp to a crawl. Check out this list.
I've been able to get a machine running smooth, off the network, with only 12 processes running. It was a gaming box and for what it was it just flew!

Plekto

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Check the bios.

First, make sure the onboard networking and audio and anything else that you might have a real PCI card installed for is OFF.

Next, double-check the settings themselves. The AGP aperature needs to be the same size as your video card - if it's only 16MB or something silly, it'll bottle-neck you to death.

Also check the main settings as well. I once had a computer that ran a bit slow and figured it out a month later - the CPU was set to 1.8Ghz instead of 2.4. Oops.

Cramer

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
well when i say isnt performing up to scratch im saying on 2 year old games its dropping down to as little as 15fps with everything lowest apart from Res. I have alot in the task manager (around 20) but its all important. Thanx for that list BTW

Im gonna dig up a network card and stop using the onboard. And have a squiz in BIOS, Should HT be turned off? i mean its not like i use many multithreaded progs. It sped up someone elses comp that ive seen.