Unable to demote DC in Win2000 SP4

I need to remove AD and when I attempt to run dcpromo I get the following
error:

Active Directory Installation Failed
The operation failed because:
Failed to prepare for or remove the sysvol replication
"The file replication service cannot be stopped."

Event ID's
4011
4015
2 answers Last reply
More about unable demote win2000

    what's the source of the Event ID's? I did a search on www.eventid.net and
    got a couple of interesting answers. Take a look at that site, it might give
    you some ideas.

    Regards,
    /Jimmy
    --
    Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

    "thezack" <thezack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to remove AD and when I attempt to run dcpromo I get the following
    > error:
    >
    > Active Directory Installation Failed
    > The operation failed because:
    > Failed to prepare for or remove the sysvol replication
    > "The file replication service cannot be stopped."
    >
    > Event ID's
    > 4011
    > 4015

    I reshared my SYSVOL folder and that resolved my 4011 and 4015 errors.

    However, I receive the same error (see below) when attempting to demote my
    DC.

    When I attempt to manually stop the file replication service, it hangs then
    I have to End Task. I've tried rebooting the server and still the same
    result.

    Also, when I try to apply SP4, it hangs when analyzing your system. I let
    it run over night and still running with nothing in the progress bar. I
    clicked cancel and it closed normally.

    What I'm trying to do is demote this machine and reinstall the OS as it is
    having many problems. I have moved AD to another server and made it a GC
    server. Howver, when I take this machine down, I have users that cannot
    connect to a member server that is running our ERP software. The get the
    error: Logon server is unavailable.

    What are the chances of me sucessfully deleting the containers, reinstalling
    the OS, keeping the same machine name, make a DC and GC server and the
    clients not being any wiser and still connect to the member server running
    the ERP?

    "Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:

    > what's the source of the Event ID's? I did a search on www.eventid.net and
    > got a couple of interesting answers. Take a look at that site, it might give
    > you some ideas.
    >
    > Regards,
    > /Jimmy
    > --
    > Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
    >

    > "thezack" <thezack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I need to remove AD and when I attempt to run dcpromo I get the following
    > > error:
    > >
    > > Active Directory Installation Failed
    > > The operation failed because:
    > > Failed to prepare for or remove the sysvol replication
    > > "The file replication service cannot be stopped."
    > >
    > > Event ID's
    > > 4011
    > > 4015

Active Directory Microsoft Event Id Windows