DNS SRV record of former PDC Emulator don't disappear when..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Object: DNS SRV record of former PDC Emulator don't disappear when the role
move to another dc

Hi,

Indeed, I've got 3 Windows 2000 Advanced Servers DCs in a windows 2000
domain.

When I move the PDC Emulator role on another DC in this domain, SRV record
(._ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.mydomain.com) of the former host which hold PDC
role, don't disappear! But a new SRV record is create beside old. Then I've
got 2 PDC SRV records! When I execute a "nltest /dsgetdc:mydomain.com /pdc",
it returns the good PDC host. It might check the date of recording to know
which is the good SRV record.

However, if I move the PDCE role back on the DC, the last created SRV record
is removed from the MSDCS PDC DNS section (._tcp.pdc._msdcs.mydomain.com)!

Anybody knows this problem?

Best Regards,

Julien

Admin Sys & Net
2 answers Last reply
More about record emulator disappear when
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Sounds like the original _pdc record was manually entered.

    Delete it. And restart netlogon.

    --
    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    "news microsoft" <julien.curto@gestrim.com> wrote in message
    > Object: DNS SRV record of former PDC Emulator don't disappear when the
    role
    > move to another dc
    >
    > When I move the PDC Emulator role on another DC in this domain, SRV record

    When you say "Moved" what do you mean explicitly?

    The word (moved) botthers me a bit since there are
    two technically specific terms with DIFFERENT
    repercussions: 'transfer' (the right way), and 'seize'
    (only for true emergencies -- don't use if you can
    avoid it.)

    Also pt (other message) suggests a good question:
    Wad the original record manually entered in DNS?

    Below are DNS guidelines (not specific to this problem)
    but but they include how to work on the records:

    DNS for AD
    1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
    2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
    3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
    4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
    be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)

    netdiag /fix

    ....or maybe:

    dcdiag /fix

    (Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
    nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

    Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
    servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

    Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
    output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

    Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
    [ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

Emulator DNS Microsoft Windows