Ipaq 2210 and WiFi help???

December 6, 2004 10:17:16 PM

Ok is it just me or is WiFi on the Ipaq 2210 just hit and miss

So got a CF WiFi card (Origo 802.11b 11M) same as Senao NL-2511CF

Anyway I installed the drivers for the card onto my Ipaq and could not get
them to work so hard to a hard reset on the Ipaq to clear all the drivers.

Reinstalled the drivers, plug the card in and set up the WEP code and it
connected via my wireless router.

Turn off Ipaq removed CD card as you would do, then tried again and I cannot
get it to connect with the router. The Wireless LAN Status utility tells me
I am connected but if I try to browse using IE on the Ipaq I cannot connect
to any sites, but I could the first time !

So is it just me, is the whole WiFi on Ipaq just flaky, is it the cheapo
card / software or is there something I'm missing here.

Is there an idiots guide to Pocket PC Wifi somewhere on the internet?

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Duncan

More about : ipaq 2210 wifi

December 6, 2004 10:45:09 PM

DeeBee wrote:
> Ok is it just me or is WiFi on the Ipaq 2210 just hit and miss
>
> So got a CF WiFi card (Origo 802.11b 11M) same as Senao NL-2511CF
>
> Anyway I installed the drivers for the card onto my Ipaq and could
> not get them to work so hard to a hard reset on the Ipaq to clear all
> the drivers.
> Reinstalled the drivers, plug the card in and set up the WEP code and
> it connected via my wireless router.
>
> Turn off Ipaq removed CD card as you would do, then tried again and I
> cannot get it to connect with the router. The Wireless LAN Status
> utility tells me I am connected but if I try to browse using IE on
> the Ipaq I cannot connect to any sites, but I could the first time !
>
> So is it just me, is the whole WiFi on Ipaq just flaky, is it the
> cheapo card / software or is there something I'm missing here.
>
> Is there an idiots guide to Pocket PC Wifi somewhere on the internet?
>
> Any help gratefully received
>
> Thanks
>
> Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I'm not being funny, but my 2210 works absolutely perfectly with a Sandisk
CF Wifi Card. Have you tried checking the website of the card manufacturer
to see if there are more recent drivers?

Are you on 1.10 version of ROM?

There is an idiot's guide at
http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
although it's not specifically for the 2210.

Hopefully someone will be along in a minute with a better link...

Good luck

Martin
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 10:52:39 PM

"Martin" <martin@scotland.org> wrote in message
> DeeBee wrote:
>> Ok is it just me or is WiFi on the Ipaq 2210 just hit and miss
>>
>> So got a CF WiFi card (Origo 802.11b 11M) same as Senao NL-2511CF
>>
>> Anyway I installed the drivers for the card onto my Ipaq and could
>> not get them to work so hard to a hard reset on the Ipaq to clear all
>> the drivers.
>> Reinstalled the drivers, plug the card in and set up the WEP code and
>> it connected via my wireless router.
>>
>> Turn off Ipaq removed CD card as you would do, then tried again and I
>> cannot get it to connect with the router. The Wireless LAN Status
>> utility tells me I am connected but if I try to browse using IE on
>> the Ipaq I cannot connect to any sites, but I could the first time !
>>
>> So is it just me, is the whole WiFi on Ipaq just flaky, is it the
>> cheapo card / software or is there something I'm missing here.
>>
>> Is there an idiots guide to Pocket PC Wifi somewhere on the internet?
>>
>> Any help gratefully received
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Duncan
>
> Hi Duncan,
>
> I'm not being funny, but my 2210 works absolutely perfectly with a Sandisk
> CF Wifi Card. Have you tried checking the website of the card manufacturer
> to see if there are more recent drivers?
>
> Are you on 1.10 version of ROM?
>
> There is an idiot's guide at
> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
> although it's not specifically for the 2210.
>
> Hopefully someone will be along in a minute with a better link...
>
> Good luck
>
> Martin

Hi Martin

No my ROM is still 1.00.

Did your 2210 come with ROM 1.10 or did you upgrade it yourself.

I know you can get a softpak from HP but I'm a little wary of flashing the
ROM

Cheers

Duncan
Related resources
December 7, 2004 12:55:16 PM

"DeeBee" <deebee@nospam.email.com> schreef in bericht
> Ok is it just me or is WiFi on the Ipaq 2210 just hit and miss
> Any help gratefully received

Set the wifi bridge to low speed, enable downscaling, no forced speed.
Try it without WEP.
Use hex OR ascii wep on both sides, do not mix hex and ascii
Maybe DHCP does not work, use fixed IP numbers on the 2210.

Cu
December 7, 2004 4:39:26 PM

<SNIP>

> Hi Martin
>
> No my ROM is still 1.00.
>
> Did your 2210 come with ROM 1.10 or did you upgrade it yourself.

Mine came with the 1.0 ROM. However, If it was me, I'd update the ROM...

Regards

Martin

> I know you can get a softpak from HP but I'm a little wary of
> flashing the ROM
>
> Cheers
>
> Duncan
December 7, 2004 4:40:23 PM

Martin wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>
>> Hi Martin
>>
>> No my ROM is still 1.00.
>>
>> Did your 2210 come with ROM 1.10 or did you upgrade it yourself.
>
> Mine came with the 1.0 ROM. However, If it was me, I'd update the
> ROM...
>
> Regards
>
> Martin

Stupid me. I meant to type "Mine came with the 1.10 ROM" Apologies.

>> I know you can get a softpak from HP but I'm a little wary of
>> flashing the ROM
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Duncan
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 6:32:18 PM

As I understand, you got it to work once after setting up the WEP encryption
correctly. However, after shutting down and attempt to use the CF Wifi card
again it wouldn't work. Correct? Did the WEP code get saved correctly? I
assume you tried resetting WEP again, but did it work again after doing
that? Are you using 64 or 128 bit WEP on your router? The fact that you
see a connection with the wireless "networkid" you defined on your router
tells me that the card is working. Now the problem is the configuration as
you have set it on the PDA.

I'm using an inexpensive Dell CF Wireless card in my HP2215 and it works
flawlessly. I've used it to connect to free wireless provided by hotels and
other merchants without having to do anything to configure it.

Mel Moy

"DeeBee" <deebee@nospam.email.com> wrote in message
> Ok is it just me or is WiFi on the Ipaq 2210 just hit and miss
>
> So got a CF WiFi card (Origo 802.11b 11M) same as Senao NL-2511CF
>
> Anyway I installed the drivers for the card onto my Ipaq and could not get
> them to work so hard to a hard reset on the Ipaq to clear all the drivers.
>
> Reinstalled the drivers, plug the card in and set up the WEP code and it
> connected via my wireless router.
>
> Turn off Ipaq removed CD card as you would do, then tried again and I
> cannot get it to connect with the router. The Wireless LAN Status utility
> tells me I am connected but if I try to browse using IE on the Ipaq I
> cannot connect to any sites, but I could the first time !
>
> So is it just me, is the whole WiFi on Ipaq just flaky, is it the cheapo
> card / software or is there something I'm missing here.
>
> Is there an idiots guide to Pocket PC Wifi somewhere on the internet?
>
> Any help gratefully received
>
> Thanks
>
> Duncan

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:30:22 AM

"Mel Moy" <dummy@cox.net> wrote in message
> As I understand, you got it to work once after setting up the WEP
> encryption correctly. However, after shutting down and attempt to use the
> CF Wifi card again it wouldn't work. Correct? Did the WEP code get saved
> correctly? I assume you tried resetting WEP again, but did it work again
> after doing that? Are you using 64 or 128 bit WEP on your router? The
> fact that you see a connection with the wireless "networkid" you defined
> on your router tells me that the card is working. Now the problem is the
> configuration as you have set it on the PDA.
>
> I'm using an inexpensive Dell CF Wireless card in my HP2215 and it works
> flawlessly. I've used it to connect to free wireless provided by hotels
> and other merchants without having to do anything to configure it.
>
> Mel Moy

Hi

Yes you are excatly right, it worked once when the drivers were installed
and I cannot get it to connect to pocket ie again. The Wireless LAN utility
shows it as connected but I cannot openm any web pages in ie.

I am using 128bit WEP but I have tried to get a connection with the WEP
turned off on the router.

I reality I am not so bothered about connecting it to my home network as I
use a laptop at home, but like you want to use it in WiFi hotspot whilst
away on business. Then I do not need to carry my laptop just for collecting
emails and updating avantogo.

Any ideas?

Duncan
!