Restoring Active Directory and DNS only

Is there a way to restore active directory and DNS only? I don't want to
restore the system state data since not all programs are installed.
5 answers Last reply
More about restoring active directory only

    "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to restore active directory and DNS only? I don't want to
    > restore the system state data since not all programs are installed.

    No. Not really (as a restore, that is.)

    You can certainly do a DCPromo "cycle" IF you have
    another DC. DCPromo to non-DC, then back to DC.

    Similar for DNS -- if you have another (correct) DNS Server
    for the zone. If you don't then you will need to rebuild the
    zone which isn't that hard unless you have very many computers.

    > ...since not all programs are installed.

    I have no idea what the above portion means.

    System State is not about "all programs" nor is it clear
    what you mean by "are installed" in this context.

    > System State is not about "all programs" nor is it clear
    > what you mean by "are installed" in this context.

    I'm talking about the registry. If I don't have all the programs installed
    and then restore the registry, then I have invalid registry keys.

    > > System State is not about "all programs" nor is it clear
    > > what you mean by "are installed" in this context.
    >
    > I'm talking about the registry. If I don't have all the programs installed

    You mean when you made the backup? That's a pretty
    old backup.

    Is this your ONLY DC?

    (You cannot restore a DC with others present if the System
    State being restored is more than 60 days old -- i.e., the
    time set on Tombstone Lifetime by default.)

    > and then restore the registry, then I have invalid registry keys.

    Save the portion of the register perhaps?
    (Export) -- Import that later, after System State restore?

    Software is pretty much self-contained.

    The backup isn't old just a few days. But I don't want the previously
    software installed. But after I reinstall the OS and promo the DC, and then
    reboot into directory services safemode restore the System State. After that
    I reboot and I get services could not be started.

    I just my main thing is the services.

    > The backup isn't old just a few days. But I don't want the previously
    > software installed. But after I reinstall the OS and promo the DC, and
    then
    > reboot into directory services safemode restore the System State. After
    that
    > I reboot and I get services could not be started.
    >
    > I just my main thing is the services.

    Without specifics we can only comiserate. <grin>

    You might try a repair install or safe mode if you
    are just hanging on some problematic service.

Microsoft DNS Active Directory Windows