Restoring Active Directory and DNS only

Is there a way to restore active directory and DNS only? I don't want to
restore the system state data since not all programs are installed.

"Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to restore active directory and DNS only? I don't want to
> restore the system state data since not all programs are installed.

No. Not really (as a restore, that is.)

You can certainly do a DCPromo "cycle" IF you have
another DC. DCPromo to non-DC, then back to DC.

Similar for DNS -- if you have another (correct) DNS Server
for the zone. If you don't then you will need to rebuild the
zone which isn't that hard unless you have very many computers.

> ...since not all programs are installed.

I have no idea what the above portion means.

System State is not about "all programs" nor is it clear
what you mean by "are installed" in this context.

> System State is not about "all programs" nor is it clear
> what you mean by "are installed" in this context.

I'm talking about the registry. If I don't have all the programs installed
and then restore the registry, then I have invalid registry keys.

> > System State is not about "all programs" nor is it clear
> > what you mean by "are installed" in this context.
>
> I'm talking about the registry. If I don't have all the programs installed

You mean when you made the backup? That's a pretty
old backup.

Is this your ONLY DC?

(You cannot restore a DC with others present if the System
State being restored is more than 60 days old -- i.e., the
time set on Tombstone Lifetime by default.)

> and then restore the registry, then I have invalid registry keys.

Save the portion of the register perhaps?
(Export) -- Import that later, after System State restore?

Software is pretty much self-contained.

The backup isn't old just a few days. But I don't want the previously
software installed. But after I reinstall the OS and promo the DC, and then
reboot into directory services safemode restore the System State. After that
I reboot and I get services could not be started.

I just my main thing is the services.

> The backup isn't old just a few days. But I don't want the previously
> software installed. But after I reinstall the OS and promo the DC, and
then
> reboot into directory services safemode restore the System State. After
that
> I reboot and I get services could not be started.
>
> I just my main thing is the services.

Without specifics we can only comiserate. <grin>

You might try a repair install or safe mode if you
are just hanging on some problematic service.