Removing DC & DNS

Glen

Hi, We have 2 DCs and I want to remove 1 of them from Active Directory. The
one I want to remove (and it will be replaced) does not have any FSMO roles,
just a copy of the Global Catalog. It is an Active Directory-Integrated DNS
server as well. What would be the best course of action to take this out of
commision for both the DC and DNS roles? Thanks! -Glen

"Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, We have 2 DCs and I want to remove 1 of them from Active Directory.
The
> one I want to remove (and it will be replaced) does not have any FSMO
roles,
> just a copy of the Global Catalog.

Make sure you have (an)other GCs -- you can recover if you
don't but it is best to do it right.

> It is an Active Directory-Integrated DNS server as well.

Main issue is making sure no clients reference it as DNS server.

> What would be the best course of action to take this out of
> commision for both the DC and DNS roles? Thanks! -Glen

Make sure no clients reference it in DNS.

Run DCPromo (to non-DC)

Stop the DNS service (and mark it as manual in the Services
control panel) -- optionally remove it in ADD/REMOVE
programs control panel (Windows Components)

Glen

Hi Herb,

Thanks for the reply! One more quick question, should I put the new server
that will fill these roles in Active Directory before I remove the other one?
Thanks!

> Hi Herb,
>
> Thanks for the reply! One more quick question, should I put the new
server
> that will fill these roles in Active Directory before I remove the other
one?
> Thanks!

Sure, but it isn't really important.

If you're talking about a third server then it doesn't matter, as long as
there's DNS and a GC on the remaining server, as Herb said.

If you'd feel more comfortable putting the third box in then removing the
first then do that.

This article, which discusses replacing a DC, might be of some help to
you -although Herb's already covered all the details ;-)
-- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/24/47/

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

Glen

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot for all the help, I'm gonna do it this week. Take Care!