Dell has Core 2 ready to go and working well in SLI

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/13/dell_xps700_to_feature_core2extreme/

It appears that Dell is just waiting on the word from Intel and the SLI doesn't seem to be an issue. I wish they said how high they clocked the core 2 and with what cooling.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/13/dell_xps700_to_feature_core2extreme/

It appears that Dell is just waiting on the word from Intel and the SLI doesn't seem to be an issue. I wish they said how high they clocked the core 2 and with what cooling.

Word.

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
Wow that looks like a mean rig! Pluse it mentions that it is overclock too. I wonder by how much? I'll stick to my AMD computer it runs fast enough for me.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
to Heyyou27 - I thought that clovertown is the server counterpart of kentsfield.

like xeon is to p4 or opteron to althlon.

I might be wrong tho

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
I won't buy a dell since they have crap for customer support! I also bought a computer from them a couple years ago and they never gave me my rebate of 200.00 I was on the phone with them numerous times, and still never got my money! Dell sucks!!!

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
@ rall

your problem is that you didnt speak to the manager of the managers.. it ALWAYS works.. at aleast for my mom,dad,sister and i. :)

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Man, the timing couldn't have been better!!! I'll be soon upgrading my work-computer workstation within the next month, as my employer has a corporate account with DELL...Yikes, don't know what to get: a woodcrest xeon WrkStn, an X6800, or E6700! :lol: happy times!

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
And? Given a choice between buying a Dell and taking a bullet, I'll take the bullet. It'd be the less painful experience.

LOL...In my case, I have no other choice but to go with DELL at work. However, I already began planning building my home rig! However, I had to laugh at your analogy of taking a bullet vs. a dell system...LOL :lol:

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Nice to see Core 2 working nice with SLI... heh especially seeing it in a Dell system.

I've been seeing a lot of negative reviews against dell systems...why's that? My experiences with dell systems, so far, have been very pleasant. But again, I just got into the BYO system rig not too long ago. I never new that dell had such a bad name here! 8O

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Wow that looks like a mean rig! Pluse it mentions that it is overclock too. I wonder by how much? I'll stick to my AMD computer it runs fast enough for me.
It does, and it better be for(probably) close to $10k. That's retarded spending that kind of money on a computer, that will be outdated in less than 2 years. :?

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
And? Given a choice between buying a Dell and taking a bullet, I'll take the bullet. It'd be the less painful experience.

LOL...In my case, I have no other choice but to go with DELL at work. However, I already began planning building my home rig! However, I had to laugh at your analogy of taking a bullet vs. a dell system...LOL :lol:

Yeah I understand a work environment. We have many Dells around my office too. Dells corporate level support is very good but consumer level sucks.

But I don't think you'll be getting an XPS for your work computer.

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006

Yeah I understand a work environment. We have many Dells around my office too. Dells corporate level support is very good but consumer level sucks.

But I don't think you'll be getting an XPS for your work computer.

Sad but true; anyway, a woodcrest or E6700 will be more than enough for what I do around...Encoding/Video Editing/IE/M$ jack.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
As you mentioned, we are the DIY market. Dell works against us in subtle ways, such as proprietary motherboards and PSU's.

Dell has the best support, though. I think I have gotten over $200 worth of hardware from their Support department on my Dell Inspiron 2200: A motherboard, two CD-RW/DVD drives, three power cables. That is the large reason people sometimes defect to OEM's: Amazing warranties/Peace of Mind. I don't remeber how much the warranty was, but the total cost of the machine was like $400...

~Ibrahim~

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
As you mentioned, we are the DIY market. Dell works against us in subtle ways, such as proprietary motherboards and PSU's.

Dell has the best support, though. I think I have gotten over $200 worth of hardware from their Support department on my Dell Inspiron 2200: A motherboard, two CD-RW/DVD drives, three power cables. That is the large reason people sometimes defect to OEM's: Amazing warranties/Peace of Mind. I don't remeber how much the warranty was, but the total cost of the machine was like $400...

~Ibrahim~

What a deal. IMO, Dells are the best pre-built computers. That's probably why all the companies and the government buys them.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I've been seeing a lot of negative reviews against dell systems...why's that? My experiences with dell systems, so far, have been very pleasant. But again, I just got into the BYO system rig not too long ago. I never new that dell had such a bad name here! 8O

The are many reasons. Dell uses proprietary components (PSU, mobos) which makes it difficult if not impossible to swap out for replacements. They also use PSUs with the lowest wattage they can get away with, again making it difficult to upgrade things like the video card. You can't overclock Dells (except for their highest-end models). If you want a better, quieter HSF, you're out of luck. And they do all this on purpose, so you can't upgrade your machine (and have to buy a new one). People are wising up to these tactics and rebelling. My last Dell had a very noisy CPU fan. When I asked Dell to solve the problem, they couldn't, because they only had one fan that would work with their system, and it had a proprietary 5 pin connector. The obvious solution was to replace the fan with a quieter one. There are hundreds of 80mm fans out there that could've been used, but none have that ridiculous 5 pin connector. After weeks of haggling I decided to take matters into my own hands. I got a case (with PSU), motherboard and HSF and transferred all the components to the new setup. And I swore that never again would I buy another Dell.