Dell has Core 2 ready to go and working well in SLI

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/13/dell_xps700_to_feature_core2extreme/

It appears that Dell is just waiting on the word from Intel and the SLI doesn't seem to be an issue. I wish they said how high they clocked the core 2 and with what cooling.
33 answers Last reply
More about dell core ready working
  1. Quote:
    http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/13/dell_xps700_to_feature_core2extreme/

It appears that Dell is just waiting on the word from Intel and the SLI doesn't seem to be an issue. I wish they said how high they clocked the core 2 and with what cooling.

Word.
  2. It would be nice to see what they're clocking it to.
  3. Wow that looks like a mean rig! Pluse it mentions that it is overclock too. I wonder by how much? I'll stick to my AMD computer it runs fast enough for me.
  4. I'm not upgrading to Conroe, but Clovertown may be a different story.
  5. You mean kentsfield? clovertown is the server chip.. Xeon.
  6. That is one dell I wouldn't mine having :) No one could tell its a dell besides it having an XPS logo 8) 8)
  7. to Heyyou27 - I thought that clovertown is the server counterpart of kentsfield.

like xeon is to p4 or opteron to althlon.

I might be wrong tho
  8. I won't buy a dell since they have crap for customer support! I also bought a computer from them a couple years ago and they never gave me my rebate of 200.00 I was on the phone with them numerous times, and still never got my money! Dell sucks!!!
  9. @ rall

your problem is that you didnt speak to the manager of the managers.. it ALWAYS works.. at aleast for my mom,dad,sister and i. :)
  10. Nice to see Core 2 working nice with SLI... heh especially seeing it in a Dell system.
  11. And? Given a choice between buying a Dell and taking a bullet, I'll take the bullet. It'd be the less painful experience.
  12. Man, the timing couldn't have been better!!! I'll be soon upgrading my work-computer workstation within the next month, as my employer has a corporate account with DELL...Yikes, don't know what to get: a woodcrest xeon WrkStn, an X6800, or E6700! :lol: happy times!
  13. Quote:
    And? Given a choice between buying a Dell and taking a bullet, I'll take the bullet. It'd be the less painful experience.

LOL...In my case, I have no other choice but to go with DELL at work. However, I already began planning building my home rig! However, I had to laugh at your analogy of taking a bullet vs. a dell system...LOL :lol:
  14. Quote:
    Nice to see Core 2 working nice with SLI... heh especially seeing it in a Dell system.

I've been seeing a lot of negative reviews against dell systems...why's that? My experiences with dell systems, so far, have been very pleasant. But again, I just got into the BYO system rig not too long ago. I never new that dell had such a bad name here! 8O
  15. Quote:
    Wow that looks like a mean rig! Pluse it mentions that it is overclock too. I wonder by how much? I'll stick to my AMD computer it runs fast enough for me.
    It does, and it better be for(probably) close to $10k. That's retarded spending that kind of money on a computer, that will be outdated in less than 2 years. :?
  16. Quote:
    And? Given a choice between buying a Dell and taking a bullet, I'll take the bullet. It'd be the less painful experience.

LOL...In my case, I have no other choice but to go with DELL at work. However, I already began planning building my home rig! However, I had to laugh at your analogy of taking a bullet vs. a dell system...LOL :lol:

Yeah I understand a work environment. We have many Dells around my office too. Dells corporate level support is very good but consumer level sucks.

But I don't think you'll be getting an XPS for your work computer.
  17. Quote:

Yeah I understand a work environment. We have many Dells around my office too. Dells corporate level support is very good but consumer level sucks.

But I don't think you'll be getting an XPS for your work computer.

Sad but true; anyway, a woodcrest or E6700 will be more than enough for what I do around...Encoding/Video Editing/IE/M$ jack.
  18. Whatever. I'll do a Xeon workstation then. :wink:
  19. As you mentioned, we are the DIY market. Dell works against us in subtle ways, such as proprietary motherboards and PSU's.

Dell has the best support, though. I think I have gotten over $200 worth of hardware from their Support department on my Dell Inspiron 2200: A motherboard, two CD-RW/DVD drives, three power cables. That is the large reason people sometimes defect to OEM's: Amazing warranties/Peace of Mind. I don't remeber how much the warranty was, but the total cost of the machine was like $400...

~Ibrahim~
  20. Quote:
    As you mentioned, we are the DIY market. Dell works against us in subtle ways, such as proprietary motherboards and PSU's.

Dell has the best support, though. I think I have gotten over $200 worth of hardware from their Support department on my Dell Inspiron 2200: A motherboard, two CD-RW/DVD drives, three power cables. That is the large reason people sometimes defect to OEM's: Amazing warranties/Peace of Mind. I don't remeber how much the warranty was, but the total cost of the machine was like $400...

~Ibrahim~

What a deal. IMO, Dells are the best pre-built computers. That's probably why all the companies and the government buys them.
  21. companies lik dell arent bad at all, i will only buy my gaming comps custom though
  22. Quote:
    I've been seeing a lot of negative reviews against dell systems...why's that? My experiences with dell systems, so far, have been very pleasant. But again, I just got into the BYO system rig not too long ago. I never new that dell had such a bad name here! 8O

The are many reasons. Dell uses proprietary components (PSU, mobos) which makes it difficult if not impossible to swap out for replacements. They also use PSUs with the lowest wattage they can get away with, again making it difficult to upgrade things like the video card. You can't overclock Dells (except for their highest-end models). If you want a better, quieter HSF, you're out of luck. And they do all this on purpose, so you can't upgrade your machine (and have to buy a new one). People are wising up to these tactics and rebelling. My last Dell had a very noisy CPU fan. When I asked Dell to solve the problem, they couldn't, because they only had one fan that would work with their system, and it had a proprietary 5 pin connector. The obvious solution was to replace the fan with a quieter one. There are hundreds of 80mm fans out there that could've been used, but none have that ridiculous 5 pin connector. After weeks of haggling I decided to take matters into my own hands. I got a case (with PSU), motherboard and HSF and transferred all the components to the new setup. And I swore that never again would I buy another Dell.
  23. Forgot to add my signature, didn't know this was gonna turn into a Dell bashfest. :lol:
  24. Is this the C-Net forum?

This discussion is about their speed.
  25. I know. My family thinks one day they will just come out and strangle me if I ask for another part. Even though I told them I could switch out a motherboard, they had an On-Site guy come over. Then I remembered this was a laptop motherboard, not a desktop, ;)

Ducky, where do you get those quotes? They are great. And talking about signatures, I love it, TheMaster!

Dell has gotten a lot smarter with their newer Dells. They, finally, have gotten rid of the whole black thing, and my Dell 5150 has a beatiful white side cover. There I did it, said "beatiful" and "Dell" in the same sentence. Anyways, they have actually put in some handy diagnostic LED's. Very helpful. When I got the machine, it was DOA. A few minutes of waiting, and the first thing the tech. asks is what is the arrangement of the numbered lights. I didn't even notice them. 2 and 3 were lit, and in seconds he told me the memory wasn't inserted correctly. Fixed it perfectly.

I am with you kukito. I need to put in a GPU inside the 5150 so that it will quit hogging the memory. Funny thing is that a X1300 or a X1600 won't work; some kind of bug and no PCI GPU's either because when you disable the onboard, it automatically defaults to the PCI-e x16 slot. Anyways, it has a very tiny (literally speaking and in wattage) 305W PSU, and it houses a P4 Dual-Core 2.8GHz. Don't those things gobble up like 200W on load? Well, I'm going to try and put a X800 inside and see what happens. I think it'll work, but anything graphically heavy, like a game, and I might start seeing BSOD's...Thankfully it is an Office-PC, so no games. Hopefully no games.

~Ibrahim~
  26. Quote:

The are many reasons. Dell uses proprietary components (PSU, mobos) which makes it difficult if not impossible to swap out for replacements. They also use PSUs with the lowest wattage they can get away with, again making it difficult to upgrade things like the video card. You can't overclock Dells (except for their highest-end models). If you want a better, quieter HSF, you're out of luck. And they do all this on purpose, so you can't upgrade your machine (and have to buy a new one). People are wising up to these tactics and rebelling. My last Dell had a very noisy CPU fan. When I asked Dell to solve the problem, they couldn't, because they only had one fan that would work with their system, and it had a proprietary 5 pin connector. The obvious solution was to replace the fan with a quieter one. There are hundreds of 80mm fans out there that could've been used, but none have that ridiculous 5 pin connector. After weeks of haggling I decided to take matters into my own hands. I got a case (with PSU), motherboard and HSF and transferred all the components to the new setup. And I swore that never again would I buy another Dell.

hmm.. They had one fan that would fit, but did you get the fan replaced? Because usually they will replace fan+heatsink granted it was the CPU fan. I know there has been a few issues with a certain modle where the solder points of the heatsink were bad and it made a loud noise when coupled with the fan.
  27. Quote:
    I've been seeing a lot of negative reviews against dell systems...why's that?

I see the FUD factory is at full swing again. :roll: As long as you're buying a mini tower design (no sff cases), the mobo and the power supply in a Dell will generally be that of the ATX standard. (mobo's are usually mATX), meaning that any mobo and power supply will fit. It's been that way for at least 2002. I was just given a Dimension XPS R450 (circa '98 ), and it does indeed have a proprietary-type psu (connectors, haven't looked at the size of the psu yet), but the mobo is classic Fullsize ATX format, meaning any ATX or mATX mobo will fit in it.
  28. I personally dislike mATX motherboards, ALOT. They are way too small and it makes cabling worse.

On cabling and case arrangement, Dell seems like Overdrive PC compared to what HP does. Give me a day or two to find this particular system and upload a picture. I have no idea how it still runs, a bloody miracle I don't see flames coming out of it.

~Ibrahim~
  29. Quote:
    I personally dislike mATX motherboards, ALOT. They are way too small and it makes cabling worse.

On cabling and case arrangement, Dell seems like Overdrive PC compared to what HP does. Give me a day or two to find this particular system and upload a picture. I have no idea how it still runs, a bloody miracle I don't see flames coming out of it.

~Ibrahim~

Word.
  30. Quote:
    I personally dislike mATX motherboards, ALOT. They are way too small and it makes cabling worse.

And I feel the opposite. I prefer a mATX board. I don't need 5 pci slots or two pci-e 16x slots. One graphics slot and two to three pci slots is all I'd ever need, so mATX boards fit the bill. I also appreciate the space savings when coupled with a mATX case.
  31. I've looked at some mATX cases, and I feel like it might take 30-minutes for me to put some memory in because it so cramped that the PSU, CD/DVD Drive, and the CPU fan are either touching or within milimeters of each other. Sometimes you have to remove the PSU and CD/DVD drive to get a good look at where the memory even is!

True, I do like the small size of the cases and would love to have to, except for the hard upgradability. And on some mATX cases you need a mATX power supply, which are not in amazing supply. It would be a fun adventure to build a SFF/mATX computer, but I like the openness of a ATX case and motherboard.

I really wish that they could improve mATX motherboard/cases because ONLY mATX mobo's have onboard video, a must for offices. You get a whole lot of features AND video, but if you want a GPU+Motherboard in the same price, you will be stuck with a budget motherboard and a budget GPU. What I mean is that in quality/features and price, mATX win because of their onboard GPU's.

Right now, I just might need to build an SFF/Office Build....But I will choose an ATX case.

~Ibrahim~
  32. Quote:
    I've looked at some mATX cases, and I feel like it might take 30-minutes for me to put some memory in because it so cramped that the PSU, CD/DVD Drive, and the CPU fan are either touching or within milimeters of each other. Sometimes you have to remove the PSU and CD/DVD drive to get a good look at where the memory even is!

True, I do like the small size of the cases and would love to have to, except for the hard upgradability. And on some mATX cases you need a mATX power supply, which are not in amazing supply. It would be a fun adventure to build a SFF/mATX computer, but I like the openness of a ATX case and motherboard.

I really wish that they could improve mATX motherboard/cases because ONLY mATX mobo's have onboard video, a must for offices. You get a whole lot of features AND video, but if you want a GPU+Motherboard in the same price, you will be stuck with a budget motherboard and a budget GPU. What I mean is that in quality/features and price, mATX win because of their onboard GPU's.

Right now, I just might need to build an SFF/Office Build....But I will choose an ATX case.

~Ibrahim~
    I agree. I like full towers and although they take up more room, and are heavier, cabling is much easier and it's just easier to troubleshoot...etc with everything out in the open to see.
  33. Exactly. I forgot to mention a large point: heat! You can't put as many fan's in as you like, if you choose a mATX case and your list of CPU fan's may dwindle as some of best are also some of the largest. SLi is out, for heat, power, and space reasons.

SFF PC's may be good for Office Computers, but the openess and ease of ATX case will give many ethusiasts peace of mind. There are a few gaming OEM SFF boxes, like the Hornet by Monarch or the FragBox by Falcon Northwest. Shuttle is good, as well.

mATX motherboard + mATX/SFF Case = Nightmare
    mATX Motherboard + ATX Case = A match made in heaven

OK, the match might not have been made in heaven, but it sure better than a mATX case. Like I said, it would be fun to try to do a build in a mATX case, but I'd pick my large and beefy ATX case over it any day.

~Ibrahim~
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Dell SLI Product