DVD decoder incompatibility

Hello.

I upgraded to XP Home Edition from Windows 98 SE. My computer now cannot
read discs in my DVD-RW drive. I have a Compaq Presario 7970. Anybody have
any ideas on where I can upgrade the driver _ if that'll solve the problem?
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about decoder incompatibility

    On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 09:01:03 -0700, Bill wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I upgraded to XP Home Edition from Windows 98 SE. My computer now cannot
    > read discs in my DVD-RW drive. I have a Compaq Presario 7970. Anybody have
    > any ideas on where I can upgrade the driver _ if that'll solve the problem?
    > Thanks.

    Yes, it sounds like you need to install (or reinstall) to get a version
    compatible with Win XP.

    The installers for some programs provide one set of files for Win9x and a
    different set of files for Win2000 and/or WinXP. In most cases, the Win2000
    versions will work with XP.

    You could check the documentation for what you had installed to see if it
    has a Win2000/WinXP option in the install routine or check the website for
    the product to see if there is a separate package available that is
    suitable for Win XP.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Hello Bill,

    Try getting drivers from the Compaq site OME's tend to have special drivers,
    you might even have to buy a CD from them the get your drivers back.
    I don't see any off their download site, so you might have to call them or
    email them the get the right drivers, also if you have any of the original
    OME cd's the drivers should be on there.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=94558&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=228

    Michael Ortega

    "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I upgraded to XP Home Edition from Windows 98 SE. My computer now cannot
    > read discs in my DVD-RW drive. I have a Compaq Presario 7970. Anybody have
    > any ideas on where I can upgrade the driver _ if that'll solve the
    > problem?
    > Thanks.

    You need to download the proper DVD codecs (not included in the normal
    WIndows installation). Do a search for "Fraunhofer DVD codecs" -
    download (<400kB) and install.
    Just had the same problem with a Presario 1600 and it works fine now!

Windows XP