Login to DC and user profile

What would be the easiest way to have a new user login and be assigned a
predetermined user profile on a local machine?

What I am looking for is "john doe" login on a pc, he has never logged in on
this machine, how can I get him to use a profile that is already on the pc.

Any help is appreciated.

Steve
6 answers Last reply
More about login user profile

    "S.C" <schjee@spams.com> wrote in message
    > What would be the easiest way to have a new user login and be assigned a
    > predetermined user profile on a local machine?
    >
    > What I am looking for is "john doe" login on a pc, he has never logged in
    on
    > this machine, how can I get him to use a profile that is already on the
    pc.

    If he has not profile he will always get the Default profile
    (of that particular machine.)

    If you wish him to be forced to have a particular profile,
    create a Mandatory profile for him (and make it fully
    mandatory) by not only renaming the file to NTUser.man
    but also rename and specify the directory with a .MAN
    extension.

    (To make absolutely sure, logon at least once for that user
    before giving him the account name & password.)

    He must now use that profile -- it will however be read only.
    (He can change it but changes will not be saved for next logon.)

    Such profiles are specified in User Properties of AD Users &
    Computers.

    Thanks Herb

    If I already have a "user" login on all the pc's that are the same I just
    need to direct the new login to that "user.man" profile in the user
    properties? Is that correct?

    Sorry but I have got thrown into this by default, and am very very new to
    the server side. Thanks for your patience.

    Steve

    > Thanks Herb
    >
    > If I already have a "user" login on all the pc's that are the same I just
    > need to direct the new login to that "user.man" profile in the user
    > properties? Is that correct?

    For NT the file is: NTUser.dat renamed to .man
    For 9x the file is: User.dat renamed to .man

    You will get a (sort of) mandatory profile that way.

    If you also place it in a .MAN extension directory you
    will get a TOTALLY mandatory profile -- no login
    without that profile being available.

    > Sorry but I have got thrown into this by default, and am very very new to
    > the server side. Thanks for your patience.

    What are you REALLY trying to accomplish?
    (Tell us that, rather than you the way you think
    it should be done.)

    What are we trying to accomplish ...... having one computer, 2000 Server
    with AD and DC, to control logins to the other 4 computers instead of having
    to load everyone in each computer .... which is almost driving me nuts
    considering we have about 150 members, not all use the computers, but a fair
    amount do, 20-30, we also want to give them some storage space eventually,
    our initial goal is to do the login then give storage space and then down
    the road, 2-3 years email, internal .

    Again thanks for your patience.

    Steve

    > What are we trying to accomplish ...... having one computer, 2000 Server
    > with AD and DC, to control logins to the other 4 computers instead of
    having
    > to load everyone in each computer .... which is almost driving me nuts
    > considering we have about 150 members, not all use the computers, but a
    fair
    > amount do, 20-30, we also want to give them some storage space eventually,
    > our initial goal is to do the login then give storage space and then down
    > the road, 2-3 years email, internal .

    None of that sounds like a requirement for a specific
    profile.

    Do all of these users get the SAME profile? If so,
    you could just modify the default.

    Or you could logon as each user, get their profile,
    modify it, and then give them the account.

    That's a lot of logons 120 (4 x 30) though.

    > Again thanks for your patience.
    >
    > Steve

    > > "S.C" <schjee@spams.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks Herb
    > > >
    > > > If I already have a "user" login on all the pc's that are the same I
    > just
    > > > need to direct the new login to that "user.man" profile in the user
    > > > properties? Is that correct?
    > >
    > > For NT the file is: NTUser.dat renamed to .man
    > > For 9x the file is: User.dat renamed to .man
    > >
    > > You will get a (sort of) mandatory profile that way.
    > >
    > > If you also place it in a .MAN extension directory you
    > > will get a TOTALLY mandatory profile -- no login
    > > without that profile being available.
    > >
    > > > Sorry but I have got thrown into this by default, and am very very new
    > > > the server side. Thanks for your patience.
    > >
    > > What are you REALLY trying to accomplish?
    > > (Tell us that, rather than you the way you think
    > > it should be done.)

    I would like two types of profiles ..... user and admin .......3-5 people
    would have admin privileges and the remainder would be a user ....thanks for
    you help and insight

    > "S.C" <schjee@spams.com> wrote in message
    > > What are we trying to accomplish ...... having one computer, 2000 Server
    > > with AD and DC, to control logins to the other 4 computers instead of
    > having
    > > to load everyone in each computer .... which is almost driving me nuts
    > > considering we have about 150 members, not all use the computers, but a
    > fair
    > > amount do, 20-30, we also want to give them some storage space
    eventually,
    > > our initial goal is to do the login then give storage space and then
    down
    > > the road, 2-3 years email, internal .
    >
    > None of that sounds like a requirement for a specific
    > profile.
    >
    > Do all of these users get the SAME profile? If so,
    > you could just modify the default.
    >
    > Or you could logon as each user, get their profile,
    > modify it, and then give them the account.
    >
    > That's a lot of logons 120 (4 x 30) though.
    >

    > > Again thanks for your patience.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
    > > > "S.C" <schjee@spams.com> wrote in message

    > > just
    > > >
    > > > For NT the file is: NTUser.dat renamed to .man
    > > > For 9x the file is: User.dat renamed to .man
    > > >
    > > > You will get a (sort of) mandatory profile that way.
    > > >
    > > > If you also place it in a .MAN extension directory you
    > > > will get a TOTALLY mandatory profile -- no login
    > > > without that profile being available.

    > > > What are you REALLY trying to accomplish?
    > > > (Tell us that, rather than you the way you think
    > > > it should be done.)

Login Microsoft Active Directory Windows