Login to DC and user profile

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 17, 2005 10:20:55 PM

What would be the easiest way to have a new user login and be assigned a
predetermined user profile on a local machine?

What I am looking for is "john doe" login on a pc, he has never logged in on
this machine, how can I get him to use a profile that is already on the pc.

Any help is appreciated.

Steve

More about : login user profile

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 10:20:56 PM

"S.C" <schjee@spams.com> wrote in message
> What would be the easiest way to have a new user login and be assigned a
> predetermined user profile on a local machine?
>
> What I am looking for is "john doe" login on a pc, he has never logged in
on
> this machine, how can I get him to use a profile that is already on the
pc.

If he has not profile he will always get the Default profile
(of that particular machine.)

If you wish him to be forced to have a particular profile,
create a Mandatory profile for him (and make it fully
mandatory) by not only renaming the file to NTUser.man
but also rename and specify the directory with a .MAN
extension.

(To make absolutely sure, logon at least once for that user
before giving him the account name & password.)

He must now use that profile -- it will however be read only.
(He can change it but changes will not be saved for next logon.)

Such profiles are specified in User Properties of AD Users &
Computers.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 11:23:16 PM

Thanks Herb

If I already have a "user" login on all the pc's that are the same I just
need to direct the new login to that "user.man" profile in the user
properties? Is that correct?

Sorry but I have got thrown into this by default, and am very very new to
the server side. Thanks for your patience.

Steve

> "S.C" <schjee@spams.com> wrote in message
> > What would be the easiest way to have a new user login and be assigned a
> > predetermined user profile on a local machine?
> >
> > What I am looking for is "john doe" login on a pc, he has never logged
in
> on
> > this machine, how can I get him to use a profile that is already on the
> pc.
>
> If he has not profile he will always get the Default profile
> (of that particular machine.)
>
> If you wish him to be forced to have a particular profile,
> create a Mandatory profile for him (and make it fully
> mandatory) by not only renaming the file to NTUser.man
> but also rename and specify the directory with a .MAN
> extension.
>
> (To make absolutely sure, logon at least once for that user
> before giving him the account name & password.)
>
> He must now use that profile -- it will however be read only.
> (He can change it but changes will not be saved for next logon.)
>
> Such profiles are specified in User Properties of AD Users &
> Computers.

April 18, 2005 12:03:22 AM

> Thanks Herb
>
> If I already have a "user" login on all the pc's that are the same I just
> need to direct the new login to that "user.man" profile in the user
> properties? Is that correct?

For NT the file is: NTUser.dat renamed to .man
For 9x the file is: User.dat renamed to .man

You will get a (sort of) mandatory profile that way.

If you also place it in a .MAN extension directory you
will get a TOTALLY mandatory profile -- no login
without that profile being available.

> Sorry but I have got thrown into this by default, and am very very new to
> the server side. Thanks for your patience.

What are you REALLY trying to accomplish?
(Tell us that, rather than you the way you think
it should be done.)
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 2:06:37 AM

What are we trying to accomplish ...... having one computer, 2000 Server
with AD and DC, to control logins to the other 4 computers instead of having
to load everyone in each computer .... which is almost driving me nuts
considering we have about 150 members, not all use the computers, but a fair
amount do, 20-30, we also want to give them some storage space eventually,
our initial goal is to do the login then give storage space and then down
the road, 2-3 years email, internal .

Again thanks for your patience.

Steve

news:o mydxX7QFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "S.C" <schjee@spams.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Herb
> >
> > If I already have a "user" login on all the pc's that are the same I
just
> > need to direct the new login to that "user.man" profile in the user
> > properties? Is that correct?
>
> For NT the file is: NTUser.dat renamed to .man
> For 9x the file is: User.dat renamed to .man
>
> You will get a (sort of) mandatory profile that way.
>
> If you also place it in a .MAN extension directory you
> will get a TOTALLY mandatory profile -- no login
> without that profile being available.
>
> > Sorry but I have got thrown into this by default, and am very very new
> > the server side. Thanks for your patience.
>
> What are you REALLY trying to accomplish?
> (Tell us that, rather than you the way you think
> it should be done.)

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 2:06:38 AM

> What are we trying to accomplish ...... having one computer, 2000 Server
> with AD and DC, to control logins to the other 4 computers instead of
having
> to load everyone in each computer .... which is almost driving me nuts
> considering we have about 150 members, not all use the computers, but a
fair
> amount do, 20-30, we also want to give them some storage space eventually,
> our initial goal is to do the login then give storage space and then down
> the road, 2-3 years email, internal .

None of that sounds like a requirement for a specific
profile.

Do all of these users get the SAME profile? If so,
you could just modify the default.

Or you could logon as each user, get their profile,
modify it, and then give them the account.

That's a lot of logons 120 (4 x 30) though.

> Again thanks for your patience.
>
> Steve

> news:o mydxX7QFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > "S.C" <schjee@spams.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks Herb
> > >
> > > If I already have a "user" login on all the pc's that are the same I
> just
> > > need to direct the new login to that "user.man" profile in the user
> > > properties? Is that correct?
> >
> > For NT the file is: NTUser.dat renamed to .man
> > For 9x the file is: User.dat renamed to .man
> >
> > You will get a (sort of) mandatory profile that way.
> >
> > If you also place it in a .MAN extension directory you
> > will get a TOTALLY mandatory profile -- no login
> > without that profile being available.
> >
> > > Sorry but I have got thrown into this by default, and am very very new
> > > the server side. Thanks for your patience.
> >
> > What are you REALLY trying to accomplish?
> > (Tell us that, rather than you the way you think
> > it should be done.)

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:58:05 PM

I would like two types of profiles ..... user and admin .......3-5 people
would have admin privileges and the remainder would be a user ....thanks for
you help and insight

!