frssysvol error

I have two domain controllers (win2000) and one member server (win2003 &
SQL2000) in a single domain forest with three sites. The PDC and the SQL
server are in our main bldg, the other domain controller is in a remote
facility. I setup a site and DNS has all devices properly noted. I setup
intersite communication with IP, not SNMP. I have checked the event logs
and after setting the intersite communications I get no more communication
events.

When I run dcdiag on the domain everything seems to pass except test
frssysvol. The error is:

There are errors after the SYSVOL has been shared. The SYSVOL can prevent
the AD from starting.

I have been unable to locate any explaination of this test failure nor can I
determine if replication is working as there apparently is no simple tool
that tests the directory and reports yea or nay.

What is the problem here and is there a fix??

thanks

dave Admin

Hello,
Ensure that the permission within SYSVOL is set to default?
Have a look at the follow KB to apply the default permissions to the SYSVOL.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842162

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"dave Admin" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> skrev i meddelandet
>I have two domain controllers (win2000) and one member server (win2003 &
>SQL2000) in a single domain forest with three sites. The PDC and the SQL
>server are in our main bldg, the other domain controller is in a remote
>facility. I setup a site and DNS has all devices properly noted. I setup
>intersite communication with IP, not SNMP. I have checked the event logs
>and after setting the intersite communications I get no more communication
>events.
>
> When I run dcdiag on the domain everything seems to pass except test
> frssysvol. The error is:
>
> There are errors after the SYSVOL has been shared. The SYSVOL can prevent
> the AD from starting.
>
> I have been unable to locate any explaination of this test failure nor can
> I determine if replication is working as there apparently is no simple
> tool that tests the directory and reports yea or nay.
>
> What is the problem here and is there a fix??
>
> thanks
>
> dave Admin

What are the errors in the NtFrs event log after the one that says that FRS
is no longer preventing this machine from becoming a DC?

Run them through here:
-- www.eventid.net

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the registry for parameters in a key. All was Okay.

I ran two utilities from this KB and both ran fine. The SYSVOL and NETLOGON
shares passed all tests and are being properly shared. I also checked a
registry key for proper parameters, that was OK also.

I mistated the original post, the dcdiag test for frssysvol passes, it jsut
includes the error message I wrote. I wonder if the message is more
cosmetic than a real error.

dave Admin

I ckecked out
"Chriss3 [MVP]" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Ensure that the permission within SYSVOL is set to default?
> Have a look at the follow KB to apply the default permissions to the
> SYSVOL.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842162
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "dave Admin" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> skrev i meddelandet
>>I have two domain controllers (win2000) and one member server (win2003 &
>>SQL2000) in a single domain forest with three sites. The PDC and the SQL
>>server are in our main bldg, the other domain controller is in a remote
>>facility. I setup a site and DNS has all devices properly noted. I setup
>>intersite communication with IP, not SNMP. I have checked the event logs
>>and after setting the intersite communications I get no more communication
>>events.
>>
>> When I run dcdiag on the domain everything seems to pass except test
>> frssysvol. The error is:
>>
>> There are errors after the SYSVOL has been shared. The SYSVOL can
>> prevent the AD from starting.
>>
>> I have been unable to locate any explaination of this test failure nor
>> can I determine if replication is working as there apparently is no
>> simple tool that tests the directory and reports yea or nay.
>>
>> What is the problem here and is there a fix??
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> dave Admin

Paul,

The server is a DC, has been for three years. Staff can log on fine, print
server works, DNS works. AD works fine as far as I can tell. There are no
errors in the event log related to AD. The sysvol and netlogon shares are
properly shared. the dcdiag test frssysvol does pass, it just includes the
error msg.

The event log is huge, I did not find any reference to FRS preventing the
machine from becoming a DC.

I wonder if I can just upgrade to Server2003, adprep /forestprep and
/domainprep ran without errors.

dave Admin

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What are the errors in the NtFrs event log after the one that says that
> FRS
> is no longer preventing this machine from becoming a DC?
>
> Run them through here:
> -- www.eventid.net
>

> --
> Paul Williams
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
> http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net

> The server is a DC, has been for three years. Staff can log on fine,
> print server works, DNS works. AD works fine as far as I can tell. There
> are no errors in the event log related to AD. The sysvol and netlogon
> shares are properly shared. the dcdiag test frssysvol does pass, it just
> includes the error msg.

The message that I'm referring to happens whenever FRS starts - it says that
FRS has finished initialising SYSVOL and that it is no longer stopping the
DC from being a DC.

> The event log is huge, I did not find any reference to FRS preventing the
> machine from becoming a DC.

Good.

> I wonder if I can just upgrade to Server2003, adprep /forestprep and
> /domainprep ran without errors.

This won't fix anything, but there may not be an issue anyway.

The error that you describe is likely a warning stating that FRS hasn't been
able to replicate. Restart NtFrs and watch out for the message I'm talking
about. Once this has happened (this is expected and good) see what happens
next. I suspect you'll see warnings saying can't replicate, can replicate,
etc.