In Win ME Control Panel-Add/Remove I have Internet Explorer.
When I click on it I get three options. One is Repair.
However in Win XP Control Panel - Add/remove I have only Internet Explorer
followed by Q and six digit number. When I click on Change/Remove it says:
The program uninstalls Q867801 and restores previous configuration.

Questions:
1. How to get to IE repair function in Win XP?
2. Is Q867801 an update to IE?
3. "Restores previous configuration" of what? IE?
4. Is there a risk that by accepting the choice "uninstalls Q867801 ..." I
will uninstall IE?

Thanks
Mike A

Hi Mike,

The repair/remove option only exists when IE has been upgraded. There has
been no upgrade to Internet Explorer since WinXP was released, only updates.

> Questions:

Ok, answers:

> 1. How to get to IE repair function in Win XP?

You don't, it doesn't exist. You can reinstall it by running the ie.inf file
located in the hidden system folder C:\Windows\Inf

> 2. Is Q867801 an update to IE?

Yes.

> 3. "Restores previous configuration" of what? IE?

Yes, before the Q867801 update.

> 4. Is there a risk that by accepting the choice "uninstalls Q867801 ..." I
> will uninstall IE?

No, IE is an integrated part of the system. That choice simply removes the
update.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"MikeA" <notme@notme.com> wrote in message
> In Win ME Control Panel-Add/Remove I have Internet Explorer.
> When I click on it I get three options. One is Repair.
> However in Win XP Control Panel - Add/remove I have only Internet Explorer
> followed by Q and six digit number. When I click on Change/Remove it says:
> The program uninstalls Q867801 and restores previous configuration.
>

> Thanks
> Mike A

Mike
Do you have SP2 installed if try this fix.
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=8436

--
Good Day
River_Rat

"MikeA" <notme@notme.com> wrote in message
In Win ME Control Panel-Add/Remove I have Internet Explorer.
When I click on it I get three options. One is Repair.
However in Win XP Control Panel - Add/remove I have only Internet Explorer
followed by Q and six digit number. When I click on Change/Remove it says:
The program uninstalls Q867801 and restores previous configuration.

Questions:
1. How to get to IE repair function in Win XP?
2. Is Q867801 an update to IE?
3. "Restores previous configuration" of what? IE?
4. Is there a risk that by accepting the choice "uninstalls Q867801 ..." I
will uninstall IE?

Thanks
Mike A

thank you both.