Reselling Core2Duo On release day, how much will people pay

UnWorldly

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I know a kid who bought 3 xbox 360's, kept 1, sold one for double the price (effectively netting him a free one) and sold the third for like 150% so he made like about $250 and a free 360. It made me quite jealous he was sitting on profit and a free toy while people were still fiending for this silly thing and paying way too much; I am wanting to take advantage next time this happens, but this conroe thing doesn't seem quite as sure fire money maker as the 360 was. The 360 had all these stories about shortages and stuff before it released and all the drama with stores that couldn't honor pre-orders. All I am finding about conroe supply is some AMD fanboys on forums saying that we shouldn't count on being able to get core2's in july and that they won't be readily available until next year since intel still has a lot of p4's to get rid of.

Even if I can only obtain one and sell it back for more than I paid, I can take that money and hold on to it for a while to get a nicer cpu than I could otherwise afford (or just get the one I intended to get in the first place and keep the $$). I figure I could call every shop and vendor in town and make a list and hit every place I can scooping up these things, maybe camp out in front of the place I think is most likely to have them in stock, then hop on ebay and score some loot, but I need more info about the initial supply of this thing. There isn't enough info out there yet to even guess if it is worth the effort or if anybody is gonna pay extra for these, it would suck if there were enough for everybody and I couldn't make profit reselling them and I'm not rich so I don't want to gamble too much on this. I just wanna collect from the rich snobs who are willing to pay extra for my work in finding them a CPU.

How hard do you think it will be to get these things? Do any of you who are connected more closely to the retail business have clues about what will happen on release day? Will there be a mad rush like the 360? Will people be paying extra to get these like the 360? Would it be worth the work finding some of these and reselling them?

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I know a kid who bought 3 xbox 360's, kept 1, sold one for double the price (effectively netting him a free one) and sold the third for like 150% so he made like about $250 and a free 360. It made me quite jealous he was sitting on profit and a free toy while people were still fiending for this silly thing and paying way too much; I am wanting to take advantage next time this happens, but this conroe thing doesn't seem quite as sure fire money maker as the 360 was. The 360 had all these stories about shortages and stuff before it released and all the drama with stores that couldn't honor pre-orders. All I am finding about conroe supply is some AMD fanboys on forums saying that we shouldn't count on being able to get core2's in july and that they won't be readily available until next year since intel still has a lot of p4's to get rid of.

Even if I can only obtain one and sell it back for more than I paid, I can take that money and hold on to it for a while to get a nicer cpu than I could otherwise afford (or just get the one I intended to get in the first place and keep the $$). I figure I could call every shop and vendor in town and make a list and hit every place I can scooping up these things, maybe camp out in front of the place I think is most likely to have them in stock, then hop on ebay and score some loot, but I need more info about the initial supply of this thing. There isn't enough info out there yet to even guess if it is worth the effort or if anybody is gonna pay extra for these, it would suck if there were enough for everybody and I couldn't make profit reselling them and I'm not rich so I don't want to gamble too much on this. I just wanna collect from the rich snobs who are willing to pay extra for my work in finding them a CPU.

How hard do you think it will be to get these things? Do any of you who are connected more closely to the retail business have clues about what will happen on release day? Will there be a mad rush like the 360? Will people be paying extra to get these like the 360? Would it be worth the work finding some of these and reselling them?

You have a rotten moral and I would not answer your question evan if I knew the answer. :evil:

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
hehe taking advantage of the market. sell high when demand is high. i doubt conroe will be as popular as the xbox360. be sure to try it on the PS3 though.

No, a rotten moral on ebay is selling a Microsoft 360 BOX for full price of the unit. Seen it done a few times with different things... Its funny but really rotten when you think of the guy who opened it thinking he was gettin a good deal.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
hehe taking advantage of the market. sell high when demand is high. i doubt conroe will be as popular as the xbox360. be sure to try it on the PS3 though.

Agreed. You ahve to remember that the 360 had supply issues when it launched and that it had a vastly higher audience than the Core2 retail edition will have.

I ahve my doubts about the PS3 as the price is way high already quite a few people may decide the Wii or 360 is good enough... however I'm pretty sure the PS3 will ahve supply issues due to the inclusion of BlueRay (and the supposed low yields on the cell chip).

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
No, a rotten moral on ebay is selling a Microsoft 360 BOX for full price of the unit. Seen it done a few times with different things... Its funny but really rotten when you think of the guy who opened it thinking he was gettin a good deal.

There is always sombody who is worse, but that really doesn't justify behaving like an asshole yourself. :roll:

edit. Wow I got stars. After 42 posts this is my first dirty word.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
There won't be quite the mad rush, and I'll tell you why: Mom isn't buying them for her kids.

This will be a product that is purchased by big companies and hardware enthusiasts. That will never create the demand that a 360 or a PS3 would create. Not to mention, the hardware enthusiasts that you would undoubtedly be selling to would most likely not be the morons they would have to be to net you any worthwhile profits. Save your gas and your scruples and don't try to "get rich quick." If you try it, you will end up sitting on 3 or 4 very expensive pieces of equipment that you will eventually take an extreme loss on, just to get them out of your possession.

You are not your friend, and if you try it you WILL fail. Especially since you discussed it before you did it. Sorry to look supersticious, but its jinxed now :wink:

I should personally beat you with a stick for even thinking of this. But see'uns how I can't quite find you, I'll tell you don't do it, and walk away...

mpjesse

Splendid
people are stupid. when the iPod Video came out, i saw people paying $350 or more for one. Apple was selling them IN STOCK w/ free engraving and free 2nd day shipping for $299.99 on their website.

UnWorldly

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Meh, I don't have a need to get a core2 early, but I have a feeling other people do, and I would like those people to pay me, because I am providing a service to them. It isn't a rotten moral, it is satisfying a demand, people are paying for this voluntarily. I know so many kids who go crazy buying up these gfx cards and cpus and stuff as soon as they release because they always want to play the latest resource hogs without any lag. I have a feeling these kids just have alot of money to spend and some of them would be willing to buy cpu's off ebay for more than retail. It isn't illegal, it isn't immoral, its just a scheme I am considering so that I can have more money to build myself a decent machine in the next couple months.

I also know a kid who sold and xbox360 box, but I didnt mention it, somebody convinced him to repeal the auction at the last minute and not take some poor dude's money. I didnt mention something this dirty because even I have my morals.

Fine. You win. I shall buy your processor on ebay as long as you include free international shipping anywhere in the world.

What is your ebay name?

:arrow: Also, why dont large companies do this? Think about it. Microsoft could afford to buy up a million ps3 consols and sell them at 2-3x the cost. Plus it would limit competition. True, Sony would get the money from the consols, but they are not going to be makin much money, especialy if nobody buys any games cause nobody gots any consols.

hehehe

Hay... I should work for an evil company with lots of money... that would be fun.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I think you are missing a huge distinction here: all the things that you saw that were going for way over retail are consumer electronics. The market for CPU's is very different and I highly doubt you would be able to make any considerable amount of money.

Now with the next big thing (PS3?), you could make boatloads off some poor chap who really doesn't know what he is paying for.

My point is, you have the right strategy, just the wrong product.

TRENDING THREADS