which monitor would you get? 20" widescreens...

turbonetdis

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
i just sold my dual display setup of NEC 1880sx's and now i'm in the market for a 20"+ widescreen with at least 1680x1050 resolution and 8ms response time. I've not yet decided if I need the luxuries of PIP and a plethora of inputs, although having them would be nice.

-I'm a gamer as well as an industrial design student (I do quite a bit of cad work, but I like to play demanding games like doom 3, fear, etc...)
-I'm don't really care if the monitor is matte or gloss.
-I do care about asthetics and build quality

the players:

ACER 20" AL2032WA

Pros- beautiful design, ~$100 cheaper than the lcd's below, built in speaker (probably not very important although it is nice when surround sound is not necessary eg. doing regular school work), Ferrari F-20 look without the Ferrari red scheme

Cons- no PIP, doesn't have the inputs the others have, can't pivot and height is not adjustable

ASUS 20.1" PW201

Pros- beautiful design, has every input I can possibly need, PIP, build, fit and finish, pivot and height adjustable, built-in webcam, no dead pixel 3yr warrantee, built in speakers and headset output

Cons- most expensive of bunch

Gateway FPD2185

Pros- one inch bigger than the others, has every input, PIP (transparent ability), price is fair for what it has

Cons- warrantee is 1yr, no dvi cable, fit and finish not as good as two above, no speakers or headset output

I'm leaning towards the ASUS, but maybe some of you guys might have some personal experience with them that can help me make a final decision.
THANKS in advance... =)

The_One

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Hi,

Over in the CE section under LCD's, there's some talk about a Gateway. There's one guy over there who just got one and really loves it. I need a new monitor and I've been looking at 19" but I'm going to CC to check out the Gateway. More than I wanted to spend, but then I hope to live with it for a while so maybe I'll suck it up and jump to widescreen. Good Luck!

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Just a quick note, I don't know much about those particular screens but if you want to run them in resolutions that high you will need a damn fast video card. Probably 7900gt or 1900xt at a minimum.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
There's the BenQ FP202W, which I'm using, and it's great. When I first got it, it was putting out a lot of heat, way more than an LCD should. Without warning, I rebooted and when the monitor turned on all I got was a white screen with vertical black bars. Two days later, it started working, and a few days later it was putting out no heat at all. I was shocked.

I would keep it, but I said I'd sell it to a friend for $150 so I could by the Viewsonic VX2025wm. THG reviewed it and said it was better than the BenQ, the Acer Ferrari, and an NEC. I'll probably order it this weekend.

eric71a

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
On thing i would look at are the Samsung monitors there is a 215tw and 205bw i think that is there models numbers. The 215 is almost identical to the gatway. The 205 is a basic monitor (no PIP, or component video). Both have the resolution and the response times you are looking for. I have seen the 215 for $550 to $600 and the 205 is a SAMS for $350.

if you look on

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

you will see talk about the Gatway monitor and some of the problems some have with it.