FOLDER REDIRECTION

Windows 2000 W/SP4

I have a Group Policy in place for Folder Redirection to redirect everyone's
folder to his or her home path.

>> I want to exclude my music folder and to stay in their local PC.

Unfortunately, this is not an option in the configuration of Folder
Redirection. While there might be a way to script this, you might be
better approaching this from another tack. If this is a corporate network,
you might arrange for the adoption of a policy that does not allow personal
music on the network.

You might even find that this poses a significant legal risk to the
organization as you do not have control of the legitimacy of the licenses to
the music. Court prescient has ruled that network administrators and
organizations can be held liable for software installed on computers -- even
things done by users of which they had no prior knowledge. It is not too
much a stretch to extend this to other media.

I would take steps to prevent the storage of music rather than the
management of it.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"communities.microsoft.com" <Vik> wrote in message
> Windows 2000 W/SP4
>

> I have a Group Policy in place for Folder Redirection to redirect
> everyone's folder to his or her home path.
>

>>> I want to exclude my music folder and to stay in their local PC.

peter

Is there a way to create a group policy to the path of the folder, maybe
using the registry.

Thank you in advance

"Ryan Hanisco" <rhanisco@flagshipis.com> wrote in message
> Unfortunately, this is not an option in the configuration of Folder
> Redirection. While there might be a way to script this, you might be
> better approaching this from another tack. If this is a corporate
> network, you might arrange for the adoption of a policy that does not
> allow personal music on the network.
>
> You might even find that this poses a significant legal risk to the
> organization as you do not have control of the legitimacy of the licenses
> to the music. Court prescient has ruled that network administrators and
> organizations can be held liable for software installed on computers --
> even things done by users of which they had no prior knowledge. It is not
> too much a stretch to extend this to other media.
>
> I would take steps to prevent the storage of music rather than the
> management of it.
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> FlagShip Integration Services
> Chicago, IL
>
> "communities.microsoft.com" <Vik> wrote in message
>> Windows 2000 W/SP4
>>

>> I have a Group Policy in place for Folder Redirection to redirect
>> everyone's folder to his or her home path.

Paulie

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004

I also would like to NOT redirect the My Music folder. It's bizarre that you
have the choice with the My Pictures folder but not with the My Music. Does
anybody know how to write a GPO .adm to resolve this issue? Thanks in advance
for any help.

"Peter" wrote:

> Is there a way to create a group policy to the path of the folder, maybe
> using the registry.
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> "Ryan Hanisco" <rhanisco@flagshipis.com> wrote in message
> > Unfortunately, this is not an option in the configuration of Folder
> > Redirection. While there might be a way to script this, you might be
> > better approaching this from another tack. If this is a corporate
> > network, you might arrange for the adoption of a policy that does not
> > allow personal music on the network.
> >
> > You might even find that this poses a significant legal risk to the
> > organization as you do not have control of the legitimacy of the licenses
> > to the music. Court prescient has ruled that network administrators and
> > organizations can be held liable for software installed on computers --
> > even things done by users of which they had no prior knowledge. It is not
> > too much a stretch to extend this to other media.
> >
> > I would take steps to prevent the storage of music rather than the
> > management of it.
> >
> > --
> > Ryan Hanisco
> > MCSE, MCDBA
> > FlagShip Integration Services
> > Chicago, IL
> >
> > "communities.microsoft.com" <Vik> wrote in message
> >> Windows 2000 W/SP4
> >>

> >> I have a Group Policy in place for Folder Redirection to redirect
> >> everyone's folder to his or her home path.

TRENDING THREADS