Cuora

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2005
I found Geekwoman's article about "Games Women Can Enjoy" most interesting, however, it seemed to be directed more to teenage girls than actual women. As a female gamer, educated woman, I am generally drawn to RPG games with my first one being the original EverQuest which I started playing about 5 years ago. I still play EQ Live as it is now called since EQ2 came out and I play that also. One thing I took issue with was the generalized statement that "Many of the avid players of the older games Everquest 2 and Dark Age of Camelot are migrating to WoW."
First off, Everquest 2 is NOT an older game, EQ2 was launched November 8, 2004 (WOW was launched November 23, 2004 according to what I found in their press release). This makes EQ2 older by 15 days, hardly what I would call an "older " game. I know lots of people, both male and female who like to "try" different games for a period, but usually end up coming back to whatever game they have the most time into. As far as MMORPG's, Everquest is definitely one if not the most challenging one out there and there are times I have wanted to shake Sony for the timesinks they put in, but the challenges are what keeps me coming back and why I have stayed. I play both EQ and EQ2 and enjoy both games. I am a casual player, not a hardcore grinder. I have heard that WOW is easier than EQ or EQ2 and if that helps bring more ladies into the games, I think that is great. :) In the end, I think both younger women and older women can be great gamers, they need to know it is not a "man's world" and not feel like gaming is something that affects their feminity. As the author of the article pointed out, there are many games that are appealing to women, and sometimes not so cutesey games either. My husband loves the fact that I like to play online games as well as single player games. Most of his friends wish their wives did. It's mainly a matter of finding out what interests them and diving in head first!

riser

Illustrious
Off topic and all.. but where did you come from?

Every time some gaming article gets posted on here, someone comes out of the woodwork to post some lengthy review of the review.. and says the good and bad about the article.

What would be great is if whomever would stop sending people over to start this crap posting up in these forums.

Ever since all this gaming stuff started appearing, new accounts pop up and post this exact same crap.

I'm under the impression that one person has multiple accounts and posts under them.

Anyhow, I'm tired of seeing this kind of crap popping up around here.

Read the forums, no one really cares about this stuff.

/rant.

dhlucke

Polypheme
These gaming articles are the most retarded thing I've seen here.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I agree with you, on one condition. Women gamers should have to register with a nude photo database, so us guys can evaluate your <i>game play</i>. Nothing like stroking it fantasizing about a hot female gamer :cool:

Oh you touch my Tralala

dhlucke

Polypheme
Too much spanking it talk from you buddy. Go stand in the corner!

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny

offgreen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
The articles about women and games are getting real old real fast. I don't care what women play, because most don't and outside I small faction no one cares. If they play games, so be it. Big deal.

I agree with you, on one condition. Women gamers should have to register with a nude photo database, so us guys can evaluate your game play. Nothing like stroking it fantasizing about a hot female gamer

Oh yeah, a lot of those hotties out there playing BF2 and WoW...

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Are you that young?

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.</font color=green>

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Hands up who cares about this poorly written article that almost reads like it was written by a man?

Anyone? Anyone? You down the back!!! What? You were just scratching your nose? Oh fine.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

DFenn

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
This is a re-post of what I said in another thread but I think that it's relevant here (and I can't be 4rsed retyping it!)

----------

I am a long term reader of THG (since mid-late 90's) and I have seen the site grow and grow. I have always recommended THG to my friends and colleages but I do have to admit that some of the 'new' articles leave a lot to be desired.

I am a bit of a gamer so I don't mind the odd gaming article; looking at the technology behind Valve's HDR graphic enhancements and LAN party coverage sort of articles I enjoy but the recent gaming 'dross' that has been appearing on the site is seriously damaging the credibility of the site.

I also read AnandTech, ExtremeTech, The Register and HardOCP (and dare I say the BBC tech news), to be honest I have started reading them more and THG less.

You need to get back to basics, you should now by now 'content is king' on the Internet, if you don't have decent content you will start to lose readers and without your readers you will become nothing.

Enough ranting, despite current problems I will continue to read THG in the hope that things will get better.

Daz
www.tk42.co.uk

----------

ps. I'm not one of the 'dummy' accounts that you think has been set-up, it just that I only post when I feel I have something to say (most of the time I just sit back and watch you all flame each other to death).

K7S5A, XP2200, 768RAM, 9600XL, 120HDD
(Grumpy Old Gamer)

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I like the point you make about gaming article that revolve around gaming technology. I always enjoy reading that sort of stuff. Where as the latest article makes me want to stab my eyes out with a spoon.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
O come on, You can admit it. It's not a big deal :tongue:

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)

riser

Illustrious
I just read your PS on your post....

I never called you a fake account. I called the author a fake account.

Now, why would you assume someone called you a fake account??

Hmm...

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
It's all one big conspiracy man

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
ksoth, is that you?

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
what kind of sausage?

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
If you're refering to my post I did get it. I was being niaive (sp?) for comic reasons.