Compaq 7020 response time?

G

Hi,

What's all this about the 7020 having a response time of 40ms?! Anything I can find states 25ms (typical). I've even spoken to Compaq UK and they say it's 25ms! Where does this 25ms rise and 15ms fall info come from?

If anyone's got any proof of this can they email it to deeko@bigfoot.com please? I think I'd want to return it if that's the case! I have to say I'm pretty happy with it 3D games (UT etc) but it ghosts a bit in 2d when you move the mouse pointer around and drag windows etc.

Cheers,

Deeko.

G

It ghosts less than nearly any other flat panel you will find. Don't worry about it.

My personal opinion is that most of the response time numbers are worth nothing for comparison to each other, and only your eyes can tell you what is right. Whether Compaq wants to say the response time is 25ms or 40ms makes no difference to me, as I am completely satisfied with what I would say is one of the monitors with the least amount of ghosting possible on today's technology.

99% of the information I have seen from Compaq states that the response time is 25ms, and I'm inclined to believe that that number is probably the correct one. The only place I have seen the (15 + 25)ms response time listed is in the user's manual on the cd included with the monitor. Regardless, the monitor ghosts very little.

G'day,
epoth

G

Hi epoth...

Yeah...I think you're right m8...the 7020 only ghosts in a few circumstances (in 2d) and I honestly haven't noticed it doing so in games....I'm inclined to think the manual's actually wrong!

Cheers,

Deeko.

G

Hmmmm. I have a 7020, and I can't find a situation where it appears to ghost ever. You sure it's not a setting of some sort? I would think ghosting would occur in 3D games much more than 2D. However, I never see ghosting in 2D at all.

Ron

G

Wait a sec. Are you connecting to the LCD using the analog or the DVI connector? I'm connected using the DVI connector which could make a difference. If you're connected via analog, I highly recommend getting a vid card with a DVI connector as the image is much better in my opinion. Lots of cards now have a DVI connector, and it depends on how much you want to spend. I have a Gainward Gefore 3 (not a TI) that works GREAT.

Ron

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think my TFT7020 looks amazing and its only running in Analogue. I can't wait till my Ti4600 arrives and I can utilize the DVI!
I also don't notice to much ghosting so I'm very happy with this monitor.

"Why can't I be the man? I mean, I DO have harmony balls..." -epoth

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I quote an email I got from Compaq tech support: "The TFT7020 response time specs are 25 ms for rise-time and 15 ms for fall-time.
The total response time would be 40 ms. The typical panel specs (that should be
applicable to the one that this customer has) are 25 ms for rise-time and 15 ms
for fall-time. The Users Guide states a Typical Response Time of 15+25 ms.
The Compaq website states a Typical Response Time of 25 ms.

Thank You,
Compaq eServices"

Also, teh manual does say 15+25, and the tech the TFT7020 uses is diffuse film- if u compare the VG171 and TFT7020, you'll see they are the same LCD panel.

Sig of the week.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 03/04/02 03:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I'm using DVI on a Radeon 8500...the only time I can see any ghosting is in Win XP when I move the mouse pointer or a window about very quickly....I get about 2.5-5mm of a trail...not a great deal I suppose really!! I played UT for ages last night and stll didn't notice any ghosting even when looking carefully! I'm also using the 2.50 compaq monitor drivers that WinXP forwarded my way a couple of days ago! Radeon drivers are 6.43 WinXP betas!

Regards,

Deeko.

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
i better get me this monitor, but does the veiwsonic 171 ghost as little as ther compaq. if so i think i go with viewsonic...

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
If ghost is your concern and only concern, I will wait for the next generation lcd and see how it envolved!

if what you are after is comfort viewing, sharpness and a beautiful stable image with min destop space, any one of those 2 lcd will do the job and much better then any crt imo!

G

imo advising someone to wait....hmmm....

Jack Burton is a great man...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Comfort viewing is very subjective. W/ TFT7020's monster contrast and brightness, it ain't that comfortable (yes I turned setting way down, but still can't get it to look like my CRT in brightness and contrast).

Sig of the week.