Sign in with
Your question

Task host

Last response: in Windows 7
November 11, 2009 11:31:28 AM

I am getting the message when I am trying to restart or shutdown Windows 7 Professional "1 program still needs to close: (Waiting for) Task Host Window
Task Host is executing shutdown tasks, and stopping tasks that are already running.

There are NO tasks running. This has been going on for days now. What causes this crappy annoyance and how can I fix it?

More about : task host

a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2009 12:34:05 AM

Try rebooting while in Safe Mode. Press F8 repeating while booting to enter.

If the problems continues there, I'll have you remove all non-essential services next to narrow down the cause.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2009 2:49:18 AM

Check the event viewer to see if there are any system errors at the time you shut down.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 12, 2009 10:32:42 AM

In safe mode problem does not appear.

In event viewer i found next error:
Log Name: System
Source: atikmdag
Date: thu. 12.11.09 13:13:29
Event ID: 43029
Task Category: DAL
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Description:
Display is not active

My graphic card :
MSI RX2600XT
Vendor ATI Technologies Inc. ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
Driver: atiumdag 8.14.10.0678 - ATI Catalyst 9.7

And second monitor is not active.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2009 10:52:14 AM

Potential fix from here.

Navigate to your C:Windows\System32\drivers (assuming Windows is installed in C: with default path). Look for atikmdag.sys and hover your mouse over it. If this driver version number is different from the latest driver version, it needs to replaced. So what you do is:

1. Download the latest driver version and extract the contents of the .exe file (this should happen when you double click on the .exe, if not, use 7zip to extract it).
2. Rename your current atikmdag.sys file to atikmdag.sys.old.
3. Look for atikmdag.sy_ in the folder where you extracted the latest drivers.
4. Copy atikmdag.sy_ to WindowsSystem32drivers folder.
5. Open command prompt in Administrator mode (start menu->programs->accessories->right click command prompt->Run as Administrator).
6. Navigate to your Windows\System32\drivers folder. (example cd C:\Windows\System32\drivers)
7. Type expand atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys
8. Reboot computer.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2009 10:56:04 AM

Safe mode uses windows default drivers. That's likely why it isn't happening there. Try updating your driver as Viper said, and it should take care of that.
m
l
November 12, 2009 5:08:11 PM

I installed a new driver and after first restart the message did not appear.
After the second restart message appeared again.
I think it is a driver or Windows bugs.In any case, thank you for your time
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2009 5:21:52 PM

Does the error keep occuring in the event viewer?
m
l
November 12, 2009 5:37:14 PM

No, no same error in event viewer but the task host screen it still appears :( 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2009 6:44:10 PM

Check out the solution from lucifervn
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/699-host-pr...
Open up Task Scheduler.
Expand and go to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> RAC.
Click on View menu, and then enable Show Hidden Tasks (so that a tick appear beside it).
Right click on RACAgent (Windows Vista) or RACTask (Windows 7), and select Disable so that the status appears as Disabled.
m
l
November 12, 2009 7:58:48 PM

I follwed the steps and disabled RACTask (Windows 7) ,but didn’t work, screen is still there.I found an interesting warning in event viewer:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Date: thu. 12.11.09 22:42:15
Event ID: 11
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM

Description:
Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

Maybe this is the problem ?
m
l
December 9, 2009 8:55:04 AM

I have similar problem. When I Shut down Windows 7. I get end task message/whaiting program to quit for split second and then Windows Shuts down - pc also.

Dont know what problem could be? Becase I didn't expirieced any of this messages at Shut down procedure in Windows Vista.

Im using Windows 7 x64bit Ultimate Edition an have instaled NOD32 Antivirus 4.0 with latest build. This Antivirus is also x64bit edition and is reported to be working&compatible with Windows 7.

Please help me determine and fix this issue that is anoying me.
Thanks!
m
l
!