Sign in with
Your question

How do I make a mirror image as a back up copy of my HDD?

Last response: in Windows 7
May 4, 2011 7:57:35 PM

I have an external enclosure. Could anyone point to me where to go and read in point blank detail step by step how to:
1. Make a mirror image backup copy of the pc hard drive including partitions and the OS...
2. How to set it in such a way that I could save the eventual changes produced in that backed up copy by doing in future just an incremental back up each time (of only what has changed since the previous backup).

I am running Windows 7 Home 64-bit.

I would appreciate any detailed explanation of the procedures.

Thank you kindly.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
May 4, 2011 8:56:24 PM

Image copies and incremental backups tend to be mutually exclusive. There may be something out there that can do it, but it would be the exception rather than the rule.
m
l
May 4, 2011 9:24:19 PM

sminlal said:
Image copies and incremental backups tend to be mutually exclusive. There may be something out there that can do it, but it would be the exception rather than the rule.

I was thinking the same thing. The reason for doing an image backup is for easier restore. The reason for doing incremental backups is for speed and/or requiring less room on your backup media.

I was thinking that he could do an image backup on a certain date, and do a separate full file-by-file backup at the same time. Then later he can do incremental backups. Maybe he doesn't even have to keep the file-by-file backup. If he ever had to restore he could restore with the image, then restore each incremental backup to it.

Either way I think he will have to find a good backup program and then determine how to apply it to achieve what he wants.
m
l
!