AMD fanboy (me) with quite positive Intel experience...

xodustrance

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
My dog chewed threw my Ibook powercord, so I had to borrow an old system from my father-in-law.

Systems specs (dont laugh):
PIII - 650
512 mb SDRAM (4x128)
Gforce 2 (gts I believe) card
Homebuilt top of the line components and chipset for that time.

Ok here is where it gets interesting. I wiped the HD clean, a WD 2 meg cache 7200 rpm 40 gig. I installed Windows XP on it.

Odd thing is, it took almost HALF THE time to install than my AMD system.
My AMD system is -
XP 2600
DDR PC3000 CL2 ram
Radeon 9800 pro
Nforce2 MSI mobo
WD 80 gig, 7200 rpm 8 meg cahce HD

Any ideas how this possible? I do have 4 HD's on my amd system, Audigy 2 platinum, etc. Do the additional components slow down an install?

Im scratching my head on this one, in fact, Im halfway to scratching my next AMD system in favor of an intel one. I really cannot figure this out, by all accounts, it should not be.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
My dog chewed threw my Ibook powercord, so I had to borrow an old system from my father-in-law.

Systems specs (dont laugh):
PIII - 650
512 mb SDRAM (4x128)
Gforce 2 (gts I believe) card
Homebuilt top of the line components and chipset for that time.

Ok here is where it gets interesting. I wiped the HD clean, a WD 2 meg cache 7200 rpm 40 gig. I installed Windows XP on it.

Odd thing is, it took almost HALF THE time to install than my AMD system.
My AMD system is -
XP 2600
DDR PC3000 CL2 ram
Radeon 9800 pro
Nforce2 MSI mobo
WD 80 gig, 7200 rpm 8 meg cahce HD

Any ideas how this possible? I do have 4 HD's on my amd system, Audigy 2 platinum, etc. Do the additional components slow down an install?

Im scratching my head on this one, in fact, Im halfway to scratching my next AMD system in favor of an intel one. I really cannot figure this out, by all accounts, it should not be.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah that is perplexing. I've never seen a newer chip install XP slower, but then the PIII can use the generic WIndows drivers where the AMD/nVidia drivers may take longer. I wou dsay you would have to time it and note how long the Installing Devices takes. Also newer drivers have extra compontents to register in the Registry -- Installing Components.

That is the only way since the HD is faster and the chip is faster.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
time flies when you arent paying attention

time goes slow when you are..

It probably took longer, but seemed shorter because you payed less attention, ....

there is no way it would have been shorter, so its just a attention issue.. and memory issue..

xodustrance

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
One last question, if you get the time -

Could this be a sign of failing hardware? The only reason I say this, is because I install XP on my amd system every few months (performance slows, and I dont use a virus program due to minimizing resource use, this was a top o the line system when raddy 9800's were first out) and I have the install times practically memorized. About 12 minutes from start to finish.

The huge boost in speed came from when u first insert the WinXP cd, and it takes time to load all those drivers, and then select the hd and it copies over all the files. This usually takes a few minutes on my AMD pc, but it flew through this process. Could a sick HD possibly cause this?

xodustrance

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Interesting point about the attention, but I was sitting there when it installed as I usually do. While it would be a reasonable assumption, still an assumption none the less.

I have a BSIT with a perfect 4.0 GPA, currently in grad school for CS. Im not mistaken in any sort of manner, please trust me on this.

There is an obvious difference in speed, I can tell with WOW's very involved installation process, or in simple browsing behaviors. I am sure if I ran a compiler, I would notice a great reduction in overall speed as well.

xodustrance

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Thanks Oenomel, I wasnt sure if a sick HD could be it.

I will sawp it for a newer one laying around and see if that improves.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
One last question, if you get the time -

Could this be a sign of failing hardware? The only reason I say this, is because I install XP on my amd system every few months (performance slows, and I dont use a virus program due to minimizing resource use, this was a top o the line system when raddy 9800's were first out) and I have the install times practically memorized. About 12 minutes from start to finish.

The huge boost in speed came from when u first insert the WinXP cd, and it takes time to load all those drivers, and then select the hd and it copies over all the files. This usually takes a few minutes on my AMD pc, but it flew through this process. Could a sick HD possibly cause this?

That could be another reason. Like I said, I've never seen that and I've installed XP A LOT of times. Your CD coul dbe malfunctioning too. I've had that happen where all of a sudden it takes a long time open the CD folder or load an autorun.

My guess is that you used the AMD sysytem CD a lot more than your dad did. Cds and HDs have moving parts and they do die slow deaths sometimes.