Epson Color Stylus 740 injet printer - pattern not printin..

When I print the test pattern after replacing the black cartridge that
pattern is missing in places. The colour pattern prints OK.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try in order to fix this
problem?
I've tried using the printers "clean" option but it is still missing
parts of the black pattern.

Regards Brian
20 answers Last reply
More about epson color stylus injet printer pattern printin

    Hi Brian
    Based on the model you have quoted the printer is probably well out of warranty
    so I suggest that you e-mail Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> and ask
    him for help, he will e-mail you an excellent manual that will almost certainly
    help. If it is under warranty then call your nearest Epson service agent or the
    supplier of the printer for advice.
    Tony

    Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:
    >When I print the test pattern after replacing the black cartridge that
    >pattern is missing in places. The colour pattern prints OK.
    >Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try in order to fix this
    >problem?
    >I've tried using the printers "clean" option but it is still missing
    >parts of the black pattern.
    >
    >Regards Brian

    Did it print OK before changing the cart? Did you completely run out of ink
    before changing the cart? OEM or aftermarket cart? Need a little
    information, please.

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    > When I print the test pattern after replacing the black cartridge that
    > pattern is missing in places. The colour pattern prints OK.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try in order to fix this
    > problem?
    > I've tried using the printers "clean" option but it is still missing
    > parts of the black pattern.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    I posted at the same time as Tony - absolutely contact Arthur Entlich as
    Tony suggests. Following his instructions, I was able to get my Epson
    Stylus 900 back in excellent working order.

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    > When I print the test pattern after replacing the black cartridge that
    > pattern is missing in places. The colour pattern prints OK.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try in order to fix this
    > problem?
    > I've tried using the printers "clean" option but it is still missing
    > parts of the black pattern.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    Before you try more vigorous cleaning run the Epson cleaning program a
    couple of times the without any further printing leave it to stand over
    night. Next day run a further clean then do a nozzle print out. This may be
    of help if you are not using OEM carts.

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    > When I print the test pattern after replacing the black cartridge that
    > pattern is missing in places. The colour pattern prints OK.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try in order to fix this
    > problem?
    > I've tried using the printers "clean" option but it is still missing
    > parts of the black pattern.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    Hi Brian,

    Please email me at my private address above and ask for the Epson
    Cleaning Manual and I will gladly send you a free copy.

    Please include the model number and problem, and if you know, what type
    of inks you are using,

    Thanks,

    Art

    Tony wrote:

    >Hi Brian
    >Based on the model you have quoted the printer is probably well out of warranty
    >so I suggest that you e-mail Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> and ask
    >him for help, he will e-mail you an excellent manual that will almost certainly
    >help. If it is under warranty then call your nearest Epson service agent or the
    >supplier of the printer for advice.
    >Tony

    Like he does not know he should call Epson if the thing is in warranty

    Burt wrote:

    >I posted at the same time as Tony - absolutely contact Arthur Entlich as
    >Tony suggests. Following his instructions, I was able to get my Epson
    >Stylus 900 back in excellent working order.

    Epson recommends Epson BRAND carts so you will have less problems.

    "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote:

    >Did it print OK before changing the cart? Did you completely run out of ink
    >before changing the cart? OEM or aftermarket cart? Need a little
    >information, please.
    >
    >"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> When I print the test pattern after replacing the black cartridge that
    >> pattern is missing in places. The colour pattern prints OK.
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try in order to fix this
    >> problem?
    >> I've tried using the printers "clean" option but it is still missing
    >> parts of the black pattern.
    >>
    >> Regards Brian

    Thanks for your reply Burt and others who have replied.
    I had not used my Epson printer for a while and noticed a bad print
    out. I did the test pattern and the pattern for the black ink was
    missing in parts of the pattern. I then changed the black cart and had
    the same problem. The printer is not under warrantee as I have had it
    for a long time. I don't use it very often as most of my printing is
    for text which I do on a laser printer, so the ink may have dried in
    parts of the printer. I'm hoping to get it fixed as I have some photos
    I'd like to print in colour.

    As this printer is aging I'm wondering if there have been any
    improvements in printout photo quality?
    I only things I have against it is that it's slow for high quality
    printing and tends to use a lot of ink on the paper so printing on
    both sides of the page is sometimes not possible with 80 gram paper.

    Regards Brian

    If your printer quality is the same as my Stylus 900, current printers
    produce better photo prints. That said, however, my ES 900 did very decent
    photos, and it was not difficult to clean the print head with Arthur
    Entlich's instructions. No need to take it to a repair facility for a print
    head clog as it is simple to do at home and it would probably be more cost
    effective to replace it rather than have it professionally done. Given that
    you don't print photos often I would fix it myself and enjoy printing with
    it. I switched to a Canon I960 for ease of refilling carts and being able
    to print borderless photos. The print quality is much better, technically,
    but the prints I did for years with the ES900 are very nice also. For the
    years I used it for photo printing I felt the result was really good. All
    relative!

    Burt wrote:

    >If your printer quality is the same as my Stylus 900, current printers
    >produce better photo prints. That said, however, my ES 900 did very decent
    >photos, and it was not difficult to clean the print head with Arthur
    >Entlich's instructions. No need to take it to a repair facility for a print
    >head clog as it is simple to do at home and it would probably be more cost
    >effective to replace it rather than have it professionally done. Given that
    >you don't print photos often I would fix it myself and enjoy printing with
    >it. I switched to a Canon I960 for ease of refilling carts and being able
    >to print borderless photos.

    I switched to Canon (IP4000) for the excellent photo quality with OEM
    inks, dual paper feed, and duplex printing as well as great speed.

    > The print quality is much better, technically,
    >but the prints I did for years with the ES900 are very nice also. For the
    >years I used it for photo printing I felt the result was really good. All
    >relative!
    >
    >"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    >

    >>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Did it print OK before changing the cart? Did you completely run out of
    >>>ink
    >>>before changing the cart? OEM or aftermarket cart? Need a little
    >>>information, please.
    >>>
    >>>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message

    >>Thanks for your reply Burt and others who have replied.
    >>I had not used my Epson printer for a while and noticed a bad print
    >>out. I did the test pattern and the pattern for the black ink was
    >>missing in parts of the pattern. I then changed the black cart and had
    >>the same problem. The printer is not under warrantee as I have had it
    >>for a long time. I don't use it very often as most of my printing is
    >>for text which I do on a laser printer, so the ink may have dried in
    >>parts of the printer. I'm hoping to get it fixed as I have some photos
    >>I'd like to print in colour.
    >>
    >>As this printer is aging I'm wondering if there have been any
    >>improvements in printout photo quality?
    >>I only things I have against it is that it's slow for high quality
    >>printing and tends to use a lot of ink on the paper so printing on
    >>both sides of the page is sometimes not possible with 80 gram paper.
    >>
    >>Regards Brian

    In general, the 740 is a pretty rugged printer, and can usually be
    brought back to its old glory with a bit of assistance.

    Art

    measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Burt wrote:
    >
    >>If your printer quality is the same as my Stylus 900, current printers
    >>produce better photo prints. That said, however, my ES 900 did very decent
    >>photos, and it was not difficult to clean the print head with Arthur
    >>Entlich's instructions. No need to take it to a repair facility for a print
    >>head clog as it is simple to do at home and it would probably be more cost
    >>effective to replace it rather than have it professionally done. Given that
    >>you don't print photos often I would fix it myself and enjoy printing with
    >>it. I switched to a Canon I960 for ease of refilling carts and being able
    >>to print borderless photos.
    >>

    >I switched to Canon (IP4000) for the excellent photo quality with OEM
    >inks, dual paper feed, and duplex printing as well as great speed.
    >
    >> The print quality is much better, technically,
    >>but the prints I did for years with the ES900 are very nice also. For the
    >>years I used it for photo printing I felt the result was really good. All
    >>relative!
    >>
    >>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message

    >>>Thanks for your reply Burt and others who have replied.
    >>>I had not used my Epson printer for a while and noticed a bad print
    >>>out. I did the test pattern and the pattern for the black ink was
    >>>missing in parts of the pattern. I then changed the black cart and had
    >>>the same problem. The printer is not under warrantee as I have had it
    >>>for a long time. I don't use it very often as most of my printing is
    >>>for text which I do on a laser printer, so the ink may have dried in
    >>>parts of the printer. I'm hoping to get it fixed as I have some photos
    >>>I'd like to print in colour.
    >>>
    >>>As this printer is aging I'm wondering if there have been any
    >>>improvements in printout photo quality?
    >>>I only things I have against it is that it's slow for high quality
    >>>printing and tends to use a lot of ink on the paper so printing on
    >>>both sides of the page is sometimes not possible with 80 gram paper.
    >>>
    >>>Regards Brian

    Hi measekite
    If you use to own a Epson printer than you'll be the second person in
    my replies that has switched to a Canon printer. I had a look at the
    Canon printers recently and there are many to choose from with a wide
    range in price. It must be difficult for a buyer to know what one to
    choose.
    I have a recently brought a Canon digital camera which made me
    interested in Canon printers.

    Regards Brian

    I have researched Canon,Epson and HP printers at great length. You can
    also. You can also read reviews at www.pcmag.com

    choose reviews and look for all of the Canon, HP, and Epson Reviews.

    The Canon IP4000 is the best value, the fastest, has like all of the
    PIXMA line dual paper feed and full duplex printing.

    The Canon IP8500 is the best standard format printer but it is pricey
    and uses an additional 3 ink carts. It does not print business document
    as well but it does print those subtle shades of color and probably
    prints skin tone slightly better.

    The Canon i9900 is the best of the best and it is a wide format printer
    that can print up 13x19; however it is not a Pixma and does not have the
    Pixma features.

    I would love to see a successor to this as a full fledged Pixma with a
    size up to 16x20 but that is not even a rumor at this point. I hope
    that info helps.

    Brian wrote:

    >measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Burt wrote:
    >>

    >>>If your printer quality is the same as my Stylus 900, current printers
    >>>produce better photo prints. That said, however, my ES 900 did very decent
    >>>photos, and it was not difficult to clean the print head with Arthur
    >>>Entlich's instructions. No need to take it to a repair facility for a print
    >>>head clog as it is simple to do at home and it would probably be more cost
    >>>effective to replace it rather than have it professionally done. Given that
    >>>you don't print photos often I would fix it myself and enjoy printing with
    >>>it. I switched to a Canon I960 for ease of refilling carts and being able
    >>>to print borderless photos.
    >>>

    >>I switched to Canon (IP4000) for the excellent photo quality with OEM
    >>inks, dual paper feed, and duplex printing as well as great speed.
    >>

    >>>The print quality is much better, technically,
    >>>but the prints I did for years with the ES900 are very nice also. For the
    >>>years I used it for photo printing I felt the result was really good. All
    >>>relative!
    >>>
    >>>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message

    >Hi measekite
    >If you use to own a Epson printer than you'll be the second person in
    >my replies that has switched to a Canon printer. I had a look at the
    >Canon printers recently and there are many to choose from with a wide
    >range in price. It must be difficult for a buyer to know what one to
    >choose.
    >I have a recently brought a Canon digital camera which made me
    >interested in Canon printers.
    >
    >Regards Brian

    I can second that comment from Art, as we still have 28 Epson 740 's running
    in our school now since 1999. Two years ago, just before summer a teacher
    took out an empty color cartridge, meaning to put in a new one. She forgot
    to ask me about it until September. The printer sat without a cartridge in
    its printhead for 10 weeks. She asked me for a new one in September and told
    me what she'd done. Needless to say I was fit to be tied when she explained
    the situation.
    After installing a new cartridge I went through about 15 cleaning cycles
    (about 5 per day) and got the yellow and red unclogged, but the blue only
    gave a hint of color. The color ran out and I stuck in a new cartridge (by
    the way, we used 3rd party inks from Inktek). After 6 months there was a
    little more blue but nothing to speak of. Last year I tried it again and
    what do you know the blue came through and it's still running.
    I always considered the 740 as one of the great breakthrough printers from
    Epson in its quality photo finishing. Today it's probably considered noisy
    and slow, but it still does an admireable job printing on good Epson paper.

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > In general, the 740 is a pretty rugged printer, and can usually be brought
    > back to its old glory with a bit of assistance.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > Brian wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks for your reply Burt and others who have replied.
    >> I had not used my Epson printer for a while and noticed a bad print
    >> out. I did the test pattern and the pattern for the black ink was
    >> missing in parts of the pattern. I then changed the black cart and had
    >> the same problem. The printer is not under warrantee as I have had it
    >> for a long time. I don't use it very often as most of my printing is
    >> for text which I do on a laser printer, so the ink may have dried in
    >> parts of the printer. I'm hoping to get it fixed as I have some photos
    >> I'd like to print in colour.
    >>
    >> As this printer is aging I'm wondering if there have been any
    >> improvements in printout photo quality?
    >> I only things I have against it is that it's slow for high quality
    >> printing and tends to use a lot of ink on the paper so printing on
    >> both sides of the page is sometimes not possible with 80 gram paper.
    >>
    >> Regards Brian

    Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi Brian,
    >
    >Please email me at my private address above and ask for the Epson
    >Cleaning Manual and I will gladly send you a free copy.
    >
    >Please include the model number and problem, and if you know, what type
    >of inks you are using,
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Art
    >

    >Brian wrote:
    >

    >> When I print the test pattern after replacing the black cartridge that
    >> pattern is missing in places. The colour pattern prints OK.
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try in order to fix this
    >> problem?
    >> I've tried using the printers "clean" option but it is still missing
    >> parts of the black pattern.
    >>
    >> Regards Brian

    Hi Arthur,
    I did like you said but still have not received
    the Epson Cleaning Manual from you. I've checked my e-mail.

    Regards Brian

    > Hi Arthur,
    > I did like you said but still have not received
    > the Epson Cleaning Manual from you. I've checked my e-mail.

    Patience Brian, Arthur's a busy man but it is worth the wait!

    I used his techniques on a clogged 440 and a 740 and both were restored to
    full functionality.

    Mike

    Hi Brian,

    Please let me know via private email if you still haven't received the
    manual. It did go out a few days ago, but I just changed ISP and it is
    possible something got lost in translation.

    I have spent the last two days moving email files around so, there may
    have been an error made somewhere.

    Art

    Brian wrote:

    > Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Brian,
    >>
    >>Please email me at my private address above and ask for the Epson
    >>Cleaning Manual and I will gladly send you a free copy.
    >>
    >>Please include the model number and problem, and if you know, what type
    >>of inks you are using,
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Art
    >>

    >>Brian wrote:
    >>

    >>>When I print the test pattern after replacing the black cartridge that
    >>>pattern is missing in places. The colour pattern prints OK.
    >>>Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try in order to fix this
    >>>problem?
    >>>I've tried using the printers "clean" option but it is still missing
    >>>parts of the black pattern.
    >>>
    >>>Regards Brian
    >

    > Hi Arthur,
    > I did like you said but still have not received
    > the Epson Cleaning Manual from you. I've checked my e-mail.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi Brian,
    >
    >Please let me know via private email if you still haven't received the
    >manual. It did go out a few days ago, but I just changed ISP and it is
    >possible something got lost in translation.
    >
    >I have spent the last two days moving email files around so, there may
    >have been an error made somewhere.
    >
    >Art
    >
    >Brian wrote:
    >
    >> Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi Brian,
    >>>
    >>>Please email me at my private address above and ask for the Epson
    >>>Cleaning Manual and I will gladly send you a free copy.
    >>>
    >>>Please include the model number and problem, and if you know, what type
    >>>of inks you are using,
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Art

    >> Hi Arthur,
    >> I did like you said but still have not received
    >> the Epson Cleaning Manual from you. I've checked my e-mail.
    >>
    >> Regards Brian

    Thanks Arthur, but I have not received the manual.
    What was the title of the subject of ther e-mail you sent to me?

    Regards Brian
    bclark@es.co.nz

    Hi Brian,

    it was the same as this thread:

    Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 inkjet printer - pattern not printing correctly

    I will send out another copy right now. It will be sent from the
    address I used above to send this posting from, please make sure your
    spam blocker is allowing it through. It is 60Kb in size, approximately.

    Thanks

    Art

    Brian wrote:

    > Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Brian,
    >>
    >>Please let me know via private email if you still haven't received the
    >>manual. It did go out a few days ago, but I just changed ISP and it is
    >>possible something got lost in translation.
    >>
    >>I have spent the last two days moving email files around so, there may
    >>have been an error made somewhere.
    >>
    >>Art
    >>
    >>Brian wrote:

    >>>Hi Arthur,
    >>> I did like you said but still have not received
    >>>the Epson Cleaning Manual from you. I've checked my e-mail.
    >>>
    >>>Regards Brian
    >

    > Thanks Arthur, but I have not received the manual.
    > What was the title of the subject of ther e-mail you sent to me?
    >
    > Regards Brian
    > bclark@es.co.nz

    Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi Brian,
    >
    >it was the same as this thread:
    >
    >Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 inkjet printer - pattern not printing correctly
    >
    >I will send out another copy right now. It will be sent from the
    >address I used above to send this posting from, please make sure your
    >spam blocker is allowing it through. It is 60Kb in size, approximately.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Art
    >
    >Brian wrote:
    >
    >> Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi Brian,
    >>>
    >>>Please let me know via private email if you still haven't received the
    >>>manual. It did go out a few days ago, but I just changed ISP and it is
    >>>possible something got lost in translation.
    >>>
    >>>I have spent the last two days moving email files around so, there may
    >>>have been an error made somewhere.
    >>>
    >>>Art

    >> Thanks Arthur, but I have not received the manual.
    >> What was the title of the subject of ther e-mail you sent to me?
    >>
    >> Regards Brian
    >> bclark@es.co.nz

    Thanks Arthur.
    I got the manual this time.
    One of my e-mail filters had put it into a different folder.

    Looks like the manual was worth the wait. I'll start reading it now...

    Regards Brian.

Printers Stylus Epson Peripherals