Exch2003 Installation Mystery

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Just installed Exchange 2003 on a member server in a Win2003Server test
environment.

Ran forestprep and domain prep as part of the pre-installation steps.

When the installation was complete, I went to the DC to create a new
account.
At that point, I noticed that the AD had no idea that Exchange existed.
There were no Exchange-related tabs under the user properties.

This happened even after I rebooted both servers. The Exchange services were
running.
DNS was working.

Did I miss some hidden step during the installation process?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about exch2003 installation mystery
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    The extra tabs will only exist on machines that have had the Exchange tools
    loaded on them. You really shouldn't manage users directly from the domain
    controllers anyway. You should manage them from workstations.

    joe

    www.joeware.net

    johndoe wrote:
    > Just installed Exchange 2003 on a member server in a Win2003Server test
    > environment.
    >
    > Ran forestprep and domain prep as part of the pre-installation steps.
    >
    > When the installation was complete, I went to the DC to create a new
    > account.
    > At that point, I noticed that the AD had no idea that Exchange existed.
    > There were no Exchange-related tabs under the user properties.
    >
    > This happened even after I rebooted both servers. The Exchange services were
    > running.
    > DNS was working.
    >
    > Did I miss some hidden step during the installation process?
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    If you use the ADUC icon that comes with the Exchange tools you should see
    the extra tabs.

    "johndoe" <jdoe@ram.org> wrote in message
    > Just installed Exchange 2003 on a member server in a Win2003Server test
    > environment.
    >
    > Ran forestprep and domain prep as part of the pre-installation steps.
    >
    > When the installation was complete, I went to the DC to create a new
    > account.
    > At that point, I noticed that the AD had no idea that Exchange existed.
    > There were no Exchange-related tabs under the user properties.
    >
    > This happened even after I rebooted both servers. The Exchange services
    > were
    > running.
    > DNS was working.
    >
    > Did I miss some hidden step during the installation process?
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > The extra tabs will only exist on machines that have had the Exchange
    > tools loaded on them. You really shouldn't manage users directly from
    > the domain controllers anyway. You should manage them from
    > workstations.
    >
    > joe

    But not all tabs show up on a workstation. The dial-in permissions one
    for example

    > --
    > Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
    > www.joeware.net
    >

    > johndoe wrote:
    >> Just installed Exchange 2003 on a member server in a Win2003Server
    >> test environment.
    >>
    >> Ran forestprep and domain prep as part of the pre-installation steps.
    >>
    >> When the installation was complete, I went to the DC to create a new
    >> account.
    >> At that point, I noticed that the AD had no idea that Exchange
    >> existed. There were no Exchange-related tabs under the user
    >> properties.
    >>
    >> This happened even after I rebooted both servers. The Exchange
    >> services were running.
    >> DNS was working.
    >>
    >> Did I miss some hidden step during the installation process?
    >>

    >> Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Asher N" <compguy666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> The extra tabs will only exist on machines that have had the Exchange
    >> tools loaded on them. You really shouldn't manage users directly from
    >> the domain controllers anyway. You should manage them from
    >> workstations.
    >>
    >> joe
    >>
    > But not all tabs show up on a workstation. The dial-in permissions one
    > for example

    There was a fix issued for that dial-in tab problem a while back. The kb for
    it has been updated recently and the 'new' fix is to install adminpak.msi
    from Windows 2003 SP1. http://support.microsoft.com//kb/837490
    As far as I know that was the only missing tab problem when using XP.

Exchange Microsoft Active Directory Windows