Unexpected Replication

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces (More info?)

This is strange...

I used repadmin to disable outbound replication on my schema master. I then
did an ADprep on my schema master. It quarantined the changes on my server
for a period, but whilst monitoring in replmon I noticed that the changes
had managed to get to my other DC before I'd opened up outbound replication.

I know this sounds like BS, but it really happened like that. Anyone know of
any scenario in AD whereby replication would override my settings? I've seen
articles on forced replication, but not sure if that would cause this. Any
help appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about unexpected replication
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    Sean

    urgent replication (lockouts, etc) ignores normal schedules, but I don't
    think it has the ability to enable replication on the server (urgent gets
    pushed anyway?).
    Not much of an answer I know.

    Gordon

    "Sean Rooney" wrote:

    > This is strange...
    >
    > I used repadmin to disable outbound replication on my schema master. I then
    > did an ADprep on my schema master. It quarantined the changes on my server
    > for a period, but whilst monitoring in replmon I noticed that the changes
    > had managed to get to my other DC before I'd opened up outbound replication.
    >
    > I know this sounds like BS, but it really happened like that. Anyone know of
    > any scenario in AD whereby replication would override my settings? I've seen
    > articles on forced replication, but not sure if that would cause this. Any
    > help appreciated.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    > (urgent gets pushed anyway?).

    Gordon,

    Urgent replication triggers are pushed (like normal triggers) but outside of
    the normal replication Window. They use the normal replication topology
    (the existing connection objects and replication partners). Urgent
    replication triggers are intra-site only; Intersite replication still
    adheres to the original schedules.

    Password changes (and one or two other changes) are pushed directly to the
    PDCe via a discreet RPC call. This doesn't use the replication topology,
    and doesn't care about replication windows, etc.

    To Sean, the original poster...

    Are you sure that outbound replication was disabled?
    Have you made any configuration changes to the site links? Particularly the
    options value?

    --
    Paul Williams
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

    Thanks for the info guys.

    Definitely intra site was disabled on the schema master. It was the first
    thing we checked, but it was still in place. Strange thing was we were
    watching the replication in Replmon and it confirmed that the intra-site and
    inter-site replication was definitely stopped, but within a 10 minute period
    there was at least one successful replication cycle after that the
    replication quarantine we'd setup kicked in again. So intra-site and
    inter-site replication was still disabled. Seemed to kick in for some
    unforseen reason.

    It could have been urgent replication, the schema master was also the pdc
    emulator, so that might explain it. Can't find any details on how urgent
    replication works - does it work through all the queued replication and then
    apply the urgent changes, or does it ignore everything else and just deal
    with the urgent changes?

    More questions than answers at this stage, but we've logged a call with MS.
    If I hear anything I'll post it.
    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> (urgent gets pushed anyway?).
    >
    > Gordon,
    >
    > Urgent replication triggers are pushed (like normal triggers) but outside
    > of
    > the normal replication Window. They use the normal replication topology
    > (the existing connection objects and replication partners). Urgent
    > replication triggers are intra-site only; Intersite replication still
    > adheres to the original schedules.
    >
    > Password changes (and one or two other changes) are pushed directly to the
    > PDCe via a discreet RPC call. This doesn't use the replication topology,
    > and doesn't care about replication windows, etc.
    >

    > To Sean, the original poster...
    >
    > Are you sure that outbound replication was disabled?
    > Have you made any configuration changes to the site links? Particularly
    > the
    > options value?
    >
    > --
    > Paul Williams
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    > http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    > Can't find any details on how urgent replication works

    Stick this into Google: "urgent replication" trigger site:microsoft.com

    Anyway, here's one or two articles to get you going:
    --
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechRef/1465d773-b763-45ec-b971-c23cdc27400e.mspx
    -- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=232690

    > does it work through all the queued replication and then apply the urgent
    > changes, or does it ignore everything else and just deal with the urgent
    > changes?

    Urgent replication is simply a change notification sent to direct,
    intra-site replication partners outside of normal replication schedule
    (straight-away, basically).

    See the above link for more info.

    > More questions than answers at this stage, but we've logged a call with
    > MS. If I hear anything I'll post it.

    I'd be interested in knowing what PSS have to say. Hope to hear from you
    soon.

    --
    Paul Williams
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net

Windows Server Microsoft Active Directory Windows