Windows 98 clients in windows 2000 domain

HI,
I working for a firm having 500 computers having windows 98 at different
locations and they all are connected in workgroup without any security now my
form is planning to migrate to windows 2000 domain but they does not want to
migrate all the clients because cost involved in this so now they are asking
me to install windows 2000 domain and there should be connectivity between
all the sites
what i want to know is do i get all features with windows 98 client such as
deploying softwares,applying security policies etc

Windows 98 does not have either of the features you mention. You can gain
deployment features by purchasing and licensing Systems Management Server,
but it's not cheap and that money would be better spent on upgrading the
clients to Windows XP.

This is just my opinion, but every hour you spend deploying Windows 98
(especially in a 500-seat business environment) is an hour of wasted time.

Oli

"arunk_v" <arunk_v@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI,
> I working for a firm having 500 computers having windows 98 at different
> locations and they all are connected in workgroup without any security now
> my
> form is planning to migrate to windows 2000 domain but they does not want
> migrate all the clients because cost involved in this so now they are
> asking
> me to install windows 2000 domain and there should be connectivity between
> all the sites
> what i want to know is do i get all features with windows 98 client such
> as
> deploying softwares,applying security policies etc

One of our clients did something similar --they had a about a thousand
Windows 98 boxes in one dept (the rest were upgrading from NT to XP) and
went down the Terminal Services route. Nice and cheap. Got a good deal on
a thousand flat screens and made 'em all thin clients.

If costs an issue, you could look at leasing equipment --although with so
few machines, it might not be cost effective...

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services