New Epson wide format printers R2400, 4400, 4800, 7800, 9800

Hi

I've info and pictures of the range of new Epson printers being
announced later this month at:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html

The 2100/2200, 4000, 7600 and 9600 are being replaced with
the R2400, Stylus Pro 4400, 4800, 7800 and 9800

All use the new Ultrachrome K3 inks and are supposed to be quite an
advance, especially for printing black and white.

There was a working link to the reference manual (pdf) for the 4400/4800
but I'm not sure if it will stay up :-(

bye for now

Keith Cooper
(email addr is on the web page)
18 answers Last reply
More about epson wide format printers r2400 4400 4800 7800 9800

    How does this differ from the ink in the R800/1800?

    Keith Cooper wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I've info and pictures of the range of new Epson printers being
    >announced later this month at:
    >http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html
    >
    >The 2100/2200, 4000, 7600 and 9600 are being replaced with
    > the R2400, Stylus Pro 4400, 4800, 7800 and 9800
    >
    >All use the new Ultrachrome K3 inks and are supposed to be quite an
    >advance, especially for printing black and white.
    >
    >There was a working link to the reference manual (pdf) for the 4400/4800
    >but I'm not sure if it will stay up :-(
    >
    >bye for now
    >
    >Keith Cooper
    >(email addr is on the web page)

    Looking at the R2400 and if my maths are correct it will cost in the UK
    £448, if that's the case, a very good price.

    "Keith Cooper" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've info and pictures of the range of new Epson printers being
    > announced later this month at:
    > http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html
    >
    > The 2100/2200, 4000, 7600 and 9600 are being replaced with
    > the R2400, Stylus Pro 4400, 4800, 7800 and 9800
    >
    > All use the new Ultrachrome K3 inks and are supposed to be quite an
    > advance, especially for printing black and white.
    >
    > There was a working link to the reference manual (pdf) for the 4400/4800
    > but I'm not sure if it will stay up :-(
    >
    > bye for now
    >
    > Keith Cooper
    > (email addr is on the web page)

    > How does this differ from the ink in the R800/1800?

    No gloss optimiser (glop)

    For the larger printers it is unfortunate that the dual photo and matte
    black inks of the 4000 are replaced with just one.

    One gripe with my 9600 is the waste of ink involved in changing from one
    black to the other. I've got some details from the ref manual on the
    page at:
    http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/4800.html
    which show the different inks in the 4400 (old ultrachromes) and the
    4800 (K3 Ultrachromes)

    Keith

    Well, for one thing, the colors are different.

    Then R800/R1800 use red and blue, cyan, magenta, yellow and light gray
    and one of two blacks, plus the gloss optimizer, which is a clear coating.

    The K3 set (k, as in black, 3 as in 3 levels) Use CcMmYKk-k. Meaning
    two levels of cyan, two levels of magenta, yellow, and three levels of
    black. The idea is to have a "built in ink set for B&W images. The
    three levels of black will produce a nearly perfect black and white
    image with no tint or metamerism, and a 200-300 expected fade resistance.

    Again, the colors are pigment colorant based. the colors will be
    somewhat more subtle, and will probably work better with matte surfaces.

    Art

    measekite wrote:

    > How does this differ from the ink in the R800/1800?
    >
    > Keith Cooper wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I've info and pictures of the range of new Epson printers being
    >> announced later this month at:
    >> http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html
    >>
    >> The 2100/2200, 4000, 7600 and 9600 are being replaced with
    >> the R2400, Stylus Pro 4400, 4800, 7800 and 9800
    >>
    >> All use the new Ultrachrome K3 inks and are supposed to be quite an
    >> advance, especially for printing black and white.
    >>
    >> There was a working link to the reference manual (pdf) for the
    >> 4400/4800 but I'm not sure if it will stay up :-(
    >>
    >> bye for now
    >>
    >> Keith Cooper
    >> (email addr is on the web page)

    £599 inc.VAT guide price (50% more than the R1800), June release. Will be
    interesting to see how the guide price translates - initial supplies will
    likely to be snapped up as was the case with the original R1800 and Stylus
    2100.

    See http://dpnow.com/1789.html

    "Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Looking at the R2400 and if my maths are correct it will cost in the UK
    > £448, if that's the case, a very good price.
    >
    > "Keith Cooper" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I've info and pictures of the range of new Epson printers being
    >> announced later this month at:
    >> http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html
    >>
    >> The 2100/2200, 4000, 7600 and 9600 are being replaced with
    >> the R2400, Stylus Pro 4400, 4800, 7800 and 9800
    >>
    >> All use the new Ultrachrome K3 inks and are supposed to be quite an
    >> advance, especially for printing black and white.
    >>
    >> There was a working link to the reference manual (pdf) for the 4400/4800
    >> but I'm not sure if it will stay up :-(
    >>
    >> bye for now
    >>
    >> Keith Cooper
    >> (email addr is on the web page)

    I had a long chat with one of Epson's engineers from Japan about this. The
    R800/R1800 inks are medium density and the physical properties of the
    pigment particles are optimsied for glossy printing - even without the gloss
    optimiser on. The R1800 is regarded as a consumer printer.

    The R2400, aimed at professionals, uses UltraChrome K3 inks formulated for
    maximum colour gamut, especially in shadow areas and so have higher density
    inks. The retention of light cyan and magenta should also allow for smoother
    tones. But there is no gloss optimiser, though this won't worry most pros or
    advanced amateurs who spend most of their time printing on matt or
    semi-glossy anyway. The three levels of black ink should minimise colour
    dots in monochrome prints, therefore reducing metamerism.

    http://dpnow.com/1789.html

    Ian

    > How does this differ from the ink in the R800/1800?
    >
    > Keith Cooper wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I've info and pictures of the range of new Epson printers being announced
    >>later this month at:
    >>http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html
    >>
    >>The 2100/2200, 4000, 7600 and 9600 are being replaced with
    >> the R2400, Stylus Pro 4400, 4800, 7800 and 9800
    >>
    >>All use the new Ultrachrome K3 inks and are supposed to be quite an
    >>advance, especially for printing black and white.
    >>
    >>There was a working link to the reference manual (pdf) for the 4400/4800
    >>but I'm not sure if it will stay up :-(
    >>
    >>bye for now
    >>
    >>Keith Cooper
    >>(email addr is on the web page)

    Hmmm I've had to sit on this info for the best part of a month because of a
    signed NDA... which expired today.

    http://dpnow.com/1789.html

    "Keith Cooper" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've info and pictures of the range of new Epson printers being
    > announced later this month at:
    > http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html
    >
    > The 2100/2200, 4000, 7600 and 9600 are being replaced with
    > the R2400, Stylus Pro 4400, 4800, 7800 and 9800
    >
    > All use the new Ultrachrome K3 inks and are supposed to be quite an
    > advance, especially for printing black and white.
    >
    > There was a working link to the reference manual (pdf) for the 4400/4800
    > but I'm not sure if it will stay up :-(
    >
    > bye for now
    >
    > Keith Cooper
    > (email addr is on the web page)

    The gloss optimizer is built-in and the new ink formulations are
    supposed to have a higher dmax printing black, and a supposed larger
    color gamut than even dye-based printers.

    http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/K3-Preview.shtml

    "These printers use a new generation of pigment-based inks called
    UltraChromeK3. According to Epson these offer the widest gamut of ANY
    ink on the market, including dye based inks."

    "UltraChromeK3 inks are reputed to offer, in addition to a very wide
    colour gamut, an increase of .2 Dmax. This is a dramatic increase in
    the density of the blacks."

    "One of the areas where Epson's current Ultrachrome inks have been
    criticized is in their handling of glossy paper. There is bronzing
    visible, and while most fine art photographers prefer matte papers in
    any event, there are always jobs and projects that require glossy
    paper.

    The new UltraChromeK3 inks utilize something called High-gloss
    Microcrystal Encapsulation Technology, which apparently provides a
    resistance to bronzing on glossy papers that closely approaches that of
    the amateur R800 and R-1800 printers with their special Gloss Optimizer
    cartridge. This capability is now apprently built right into the ink's
    suspension technology."

    The 4000 is the original A2 UltraChrome model, the 4400 is a new model using
    just three colours plus black and is aimed at graphics printing (maps,
    diagrams, drawings, etc.) while the 4800 is the 4000 replacement using
    UltraChrome K3 inks.

    The new large format models (not the 2400) have pressurised ink cartridges
    to increase ink capacity without increasing the size of the cartridges.

    See: http://dpnow.com/1789.html

    Ian

    >> How does this differ from the ink in the R800/1800?
    >
    > No gloss optimiser (glop)
    >
    > For the larger printers it is unfortunate that the dual photo and matte
    > black inks of the 4000 are replaced with just one.
    >
    > One gripe with my 9600 is the waste of ink involved in changing from one
    > black to the other. I've got some details from the ref manual on the
    > page at:
    > http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/4800.html
    > which show the different inks in the 4400 (old ultrachromes) and the
    > 4800 (K3 Ultrachromes)
    >
    > Keith

    Also less ink waste now:

    "Unlike on the 7600 and 9600, where changing the black cartridge meant
    that all of the ink lines were flushed, at a cost of about $75 in
    wasted ink into the maintenance tank, with the new printers only the
    line for the black cart that's being replaced are flushed. The others
    are capped. This means that changing blacks is now just a matter of
    minutes, and at a very modest cost in wasted ink; just of that one
    cartridge."

    More details on:

    http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/K3-Preview.shtml

    > http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html
    I've updated the new epson pages with info collected from various
    sources.
    Also
    http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson4800.html

    Nice to know that the 'rumors page' was pretty much spot on (Ok, so my
    first guess last year of '9700' wasn't! :-)

    It's interesting to see the R2400 info where Epson mention their new
    applications suite
    "Epson Creativity Suite including Epson RAW Print, Epson File Manager,
    Epson Darkroom Print to enhance and simplify the workflow from image
    selection through to final print out, even for camera RAW files"

    bye for now

    Keith Cooper

    Full specs:

    4800:

    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/WideFormat/WideFormatDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Overview&oid=-12801&category=Wide+Format+Printers

    2400:

    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Specs&oid=53540920&category=Products

    Deryck

    The message <spam-B9D82B.16201607052005@newsfe3-gui.server.ntli.net>
    from Keith Cooper <spam@spam.com> contains these words:

    > Hi

    > I've info and pictures of the range of new Epson printers being
    > announced later this month at:
    > http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html

    > The 2100/2200, 4000, 7600 and 9600 are being replaced with
    > the R2400, Stylus Pro 4400, 4800, 7800 and 9800

    > All use the new Ultrachrome K3 inks and are supposed to be quite an
    > advance, especially for printing black and white.

    > There was a working link to the reference manual (pdf) for the 4400/4800
    > but I'm not sure if it will stay up :-(

    > bye for now

    > Keith Cooper
    > (email addr is on the web page)

    Can you explain how they can pressurize the cartridges to improve
    capacity? To my knowledge, liquids can't really be pressurized to
    increase volume very much.

    Art

    Ian Burley wrote:

    > The 4000 is the original A2 UltraChrome model, the 4400 is a new model using
    > just three colours plus black and is aimed at graphics printing (maps,
    > diagrams, drawings, etc.) while the 4800 is the 4000 replacement using
    > UltraChrome K3 inks.
    >
    > The new large format models (not the 2400) have pressurised ink cartridges
    > to increase ink capacity without increasing the size of the cartridges.
    >
    > See: http://dpnow.com/1789.html
    >
    > Ian

    Do I hear trumpets sounding, boy, that was a no brainer, and I have no
    idea why it took them so long to figure that one out. I suspect if they
    hadn't gotten consumer backlash on that ridiculous waste ink, nothing
    would have changed.

    Art

    tyranix95@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Also less ink waste now:
    >
    > "Unlike on the 7600 and 9600, where changing the black cartridge meant
    > that all of the ink lines were flushed, at a cost of about $75 in
    > wasted ink into the maintenance tank, with the new printers only the
    > line for the black cart that's being replaced are flushed. The others
    > are capped. This means that changing blacks is now just a matter of
    > minutes, and at a very modest cost in wasted ink; just of that one
    > cartridge."
    >
    > More details on:
    >
    > http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/K3-Preview.shtml

    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it has something to do with the internal
    space saved that was occupied by venting and baffles.

    Ian

    "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Can you explain how they can pressurize the cartridges to improve
    > capacity? To my knowledge, liquids can't really be pressurized to
    > increase volume very much.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > Ian Burley wrote:
    >
    >> The 4000 is the original A2 UltraChrome model, the 4400 is a new model
    >> using just three colours plus black and is aimed at graphics printing
    >> (maps, diagrams, drawings, etc.) while the 4800 is the 4000 replacement
    >> using UltraChrome K3 inks.
    >>
    >> The new large format models (not the 2400) have pressurised ink
    >> cartridges to increase ink capacity without increasing the size of the
    >> cartridges.
    >>
    >> See: http://dpnow.com/1789.html
    >>
    >> Ian

    Hi Ian,

    I just did some more research on this issue. There are a few things of
    interest. The new ink cartridges have two two tubes going into them,
    apparently one provides the pressure, the other is the outlet for the ink.

    The new inks have a higher pigment level overall and should therefore
    last longer (in terms of amount used). The old cartridges did have a
    lot of wasted space, but it was designed that way because they work at
    standard atmosphere, and need to have room to breath so they did not get
    pressed which would pressurize them and cause the ink to leak from the
    heads.

    The new printers have received very positive reviews form the beta
    testers. The inks were reformulated in terms of color and other features.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich wrote:

    > Hi Ian,
    >
    > I just did some more research on this issue. There are a few things of
    > interest. The new ink cartridges have two two tubes going into them,
    > apparently one provides the pressure, the other is the outlet for the ink.

    Wonder if this could be made into a CIS - maybe feasable with the two
    tube arrangement.

    > The new inks have a higher pigment level overall and should therefore
    > last longer (in terms of amount used). The old cartridges did have a
    > lot of wasted space, but it was designed that way because they work at
    > standard atmosphere, and need to have room to breath so they did not get
    > pressed which would pressurize them and cause the ink to leak from the
    > heads.
    >
    > The new printers have received very positive reviews form the beta
    > testers. The inks were reformulated in terms of color and other features.
    >
    > Art
    >

    > Ian Burley wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it has something to do with the
    >> internal space saved that was occupied by venting and baffles.
    >>
    >> Ian
    >>
    >> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Can you explain how they can pressurize the cartridges to improve
    >>> capacity? To my knowledge, liquids can't really be pressurized to
    >>> increase volume very much.
    >>>
    >>> Art

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 09:31:23 GMT, "Ian Burley"
    <infoplsremove@dp-now.com> wrote:

    >I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it has something to do with the internal
    >space saved that was occupied by venting and baffles.

    As usual, Epson's explanations are baffling... ;-)

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

Printers Epson Format Peripherals Product