Having troubles with my 9600.

kroth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Hi everybody, my friend told me you guys could maybe help me out. Ok, I have had this video card for quite awhile. It is a radeon 9600 series, and has been awesome until about a week or two ago. At first I din't realize think it was my video card, thought it was a bug or something. I play WoW, and my comp ran perfectly, without lag, until those two weeks or so ago. I then started having continual disconnections due to high latency. It became unplayable, so I started palying on my laptop. It ran fine, which ruled out my internet, because they both have the same connection. So I decided to take some steps to address my problems. I defragged my harddrive, and then went to the ATI site and was updating my drivers. DL'ed the Catalyst Central Control Package, since I already had .NET. I then restarted, and that is when everything got really bad.

When it booted up my colors were distorted and so was the size of everything. It was bad. I did a lot to try and fix it. First I messed with resolution. Instead of setting to the new resolution, it would go right back to what it came in as, 6x4 or something. I uninstalled all the ATI drivers, DL'ed all the stuff tried it again. Same huge and poorly colored screen. If you guys have any suggestions, please help me out. I tried a ton of other stuff (under the direction of my friend) but none of it worked. I currently have no drivers installed, so pretty much no graphics card, and it makes it look kinda normal, but there are many limitations w/o a video card, so help me out please.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I actually had something like this happen with my 9600. I would install the latest drivers, and upon restart, the screen would become a mess of different colored blocks, so bad that I had to turn off the computer and use my on board graphics to reinstall my 9600 and use the original drivers that came with it. I finally had to go to the Omega drivers site and try downloading and installing several different driver versions until I found one that worked. I think I ended up using the Omega Catalyst 5.1 drivers, which was enough to get CS:S working.

kroth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Ya, the next thing I'm gonna try is taking the thing out, cleaning it, and reinstalling it as if it were a completely new card with all the original drivers. Hopefully tha'll work. Thanks for the omega thing, I'll try that once I get the old drivers running.

kroth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Hi guys I posted this in the normal graphics card forum too, but I'm geting different help ehre so I figured I'd ask. And Gary you've gone through this so you may have ahd a similar problem.

k, thank you very much for the tips. I have already asked blizz for help and they suck at life. I ran through all your steps, all the programs, wipe my comp of all ad/spyware/viruses, and then made sure everything ATI was gone (I cant use Catalyst because it requires ATI drivers being used, and with them being used I cant see anything, so I used Control Panel and Driver Cleaner Pro). I reinstalled the new drivers from the website. Same result. I am now trying to reinstall the old drivers from the original CD as if it were a new card but I'm getting some errors.

Error #1: INF Error
No video driver found

Error #2: Setup was unable to complete this installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup.

k, how do I do error 2. Thanks for helpin me, keep it comin guys

-Kroth