Group Policy Problem

I have set up a group policy that sets a default screen save and
removed the screen saver tab if looking at display properies. This
policy is is based on username.

At one time, ServerA was logged in with a username that the policy
applies to and the policy took affect.

We didn't actually want this policy to apply to this server so we
changed the logon account to an account that is outside of the OU with
the screen saver policy.

When running gpresults, the screen saver policy is NOT listed a policy
that is applied to this machine. However, the computer locks out every
30 minutes and does not display the screen saver tab as per the policy.
I have tried runing gpupdate and that has not helped.

Is there something else I can do to disable this policy on this
machine?

thanks,
Jen
8 answers Last reply
More about group policy problem

    Tried that already. The account that the server logs in with is
    'Administrator'. It should be able to do anything. I found the
    registry key that allows me to see the screen saver tab but the options
    are greyed out and cannot be changed.

    I tried logging in as myself and the group policy applied as I
    expected. gpresults also showed the correct policies.

    When I logged off and then back on as administrator, I still couldn't
    change the screen saver settings. The administrator account is in an
    OU with no policies appied.

    Jen

    Jen wrote:
    > I have set up a group policy that sets a default screen save and
    > removed the screen saver tab if looking at display properies. This
    > policy is is based on username.
    >
    > At one time, ServerA was logged in with a username that the policy
    > applies to and the policy took affect.
    >
    > We didn't actually want this policy to apply to this server so we
    > changed the logon account to an account that is outside of the OU
    with
    > the screen saver policy.
    >
    > When running gpresults, the screen saver policy is NOT listed a
    policy
    > that is applied to this machine. However, the computer locks out
    every
    > 30 minutes and does not display the screen saver tab as per the
    policy.
    > I have tried runing gpupdate and that has not helped.
    >
    > Is there something else I can do to disable this policy on this
    > machine?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Jen

    OH yeah,

    I have also tried disabling the policy and that hasn't worked either.

    Jen

    Jen wrote:
    > Tried that already. The account that the server logs in with is
    > 'Administrator'. It should be able to do anything. I found the
    > registry key that allows me to see the screen saver tab but the
    options
    > are greyed out and cannot be changed.
    >
    > I tried logging in as myself and the group policy applied as I
    > expected. gpresults also showed the correct policies.
    >
    > When I logged off and then back on as administrator, I still couldn't
    > change the screen saver settings. The administrator account is in an
    > OU with no policies appied.
    >
    > Jen
    >

    > Jen wrote:
    > > I have set up a group policy that sets a default screen save and
    > > removed the screen saver tab if looking at display properies. This
    > > policy is is based on username.
    > >
    > > At one time, ServerA was logged in with a username that the policy
    > > applies to and the policy took affect.
    > >
    > > We didn't actually want this policy to apply to this server so we
    > > changed the logon account to an account that is outside of the OU
    > with
    > > the screen saver policy.
    > >
    > > When running gpresults, the screen saver policy is NOT listed a
    > policy
    > > that is applied to this machine. However, the computer locks out
    > every
    > > 30 minutes and does not display the screen saver tab as per the
    > policy.
    > > I have tried runing gpupdate and that has not helped.
    > >
    > > Is there something else I can do to disable this policy on this
    > > machine?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > Jen

    The screensaver policies are user specific. Logon as a user than can change
    the screensaver and make the necessary changes.

    --
    Paul Williams
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

    What I mean is that when I log in as 'administrator' the screen saver
    policy seems to be applied. I cannot change see the screen saver tab
    and the screen saver tab goes into affect after the 30 minute timeout
    that was applied.

    I did find the registry setting that allows me to see the screen saver
    tab but I cannot edit any of the values. I'll see if I can find the
    registry settings for the rest of the fields.

    thanks.

    Well,

    I found the registry settings and modified them to disable the screen
    saver. I did this while logged in as administrator.

    I can made the changes but they do not stick. Next time I look at the
    same registry key, the values go back to what they were.

    I'm starting to think I'll need to rebuilt the server.

    I guess you'll have to change the registry settings that control screensaver
    timeout. I can't remember these off the top of my head, as it's been a long
    time since I've played with that kind of thing. I'll have a look through
    some of my old notes and see if I can find it for you.

    > When I logged off and then back on as administrator, I still couldn't
    > change the screen saver settings. The administrator account is in an OU
    > with no policies applied.

    That's worrying. Are you saying that the screensaver tab is still hidden?
    Sounds like a case of registry tattooing, although I wouldn't have thought
    such a simple .adm would do this. Can you clarify if this is what you mean?
    Or do you mean that changes to the timeout by the administrator are not
    applied to the system when in a non-logged on state?

    --
    Paul Williams
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Hey Jen,
    Have you tried using a loopback policy? Microsoft does not recommend using
    alot of these, but we've found that the server OU is a perfect place for
    them. Typically we don't want user policies appling on these boxes.
    Basically, the loopback (with replace) tells it to ignore any user settings
    from the user's policy and use the user settings from the machine's policy
    (specifically the one with the loopback setting).

    "Jen" wrote:

    > Well,
    >
    > I found the registry settings and modified them to disable the screen
    > saver. I did this while logged in as administrator.
    >
    > I can made the changes but they do not stick. Next time I look at the
    > same registry key, the values go back to what they were.
    >
    > I'm starting to think I'll need to rebuilt the server.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Good point. You could try applying the settings to the computer via
    Loopback.

    To summarise what daluebb stated, loopback processing reads the user policy
    and applies it as computer policy. There are two modes to this merge and
    replace --the option (as a GPO setting) will explain more.

    --
    Paul Williams
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net

Policy Active Directory Windows