Windows XP Screensaver timeout problem

Tags:
  • Screensaver
  • Windows XP
October 4, 2004 12:39:46 AM

My screensaver and power schemes work OK when set to a one mimute
timeout, but if I set any other interval they will not start.

I have repaired XP but no improvement. I would rather not reinstall
XP.

Can anybody please give me a fix for this problem

--
Dave H

More about : windows screensaver timeout problem

October 4, 2004 5:03:34 AM

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 20:39:46 +0100, Dave H <Dave.H.1dkpcy@pcbanter.net>
wrote:

>My screensaver and power schemes work OK when set to a one mimute
>timeout, but if I set any other interval they will not start.
>
>I have repaired XP but no improvement. I would rather not reinstall
>XP.
>
>Can anybody please give me a fix for this problem

Hi Dave H

I also have problems with the power schemes. In my case, if I set the
time to 1 Min, the monitor shuts down at 1 Min as it should and
returns to life on mouse movement. If time is set to 2 Min, the
monitor flickers at two minutes and then stays on. Setting the time
to anything >2 Min results in no action.

Running a P4 with XP Home and SP2.

The registry contents WRT to time setting seem to be correct.

Another problem I have is infrequent stalling when switching
applications, and once in a while, an auto restart. The event log
shows hanging applications when this happens. I have turned off
any/all programs that are not in use frequently.

I hope someone has some ideas for us :)

Dave N
October 5, 2004 6:30:15 PM

Daven <daven@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:<ug71m09nit9olsv8fq1ucg7j1f8lk348lj@4ax.com>...
> I also have problems with the power schemes. In my case, if I set the
> time to 1 Min, the monitor shuts down at 1 Min as it should and
> returns to life on mouse movement. If time is set to 2 Min, the
> monitor flickers at two minutes and then stays on. Setting the time
> to anything >2 Min results in no action.
>
> Running a P4 with XP Home and SP2.

This is exactly the same timing with the standard screensaver problem
I have since I've done a windows update session (also Win XP, SP2,
screensaver: "Windows XP").

I will now try to deinstall my last updates done in this session one
by one and look what will happen. Here's a list of the updates:

- ATI Radeon driver (2 times)
- MS .NET Framework 1.1
- Update for Windows XP HighMAT support (KB831240)
- MS Windows Journal Viewer

Now there is also a the SP1 for .NET available:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=867460

I don't know whether this could solve the problem but I'll try this
last because you can't uninstall it.

Maybe you have analogue experiences with some Windows updates. Or:
Does anybody know whether the .NET SP1 can solve this problem (e.g.
according to the buglist in the link I posted above)?

Thanks for your help.

Yours
Benny
October 6, 2004 7:28:02 AM

On 5 Oct 2004 14:30:15 -0700, bennyhurst@gmx.net (Benny) wrote:

>Daven <daven@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:<ug71m09nit9olsv8fq1ucg7j1f8lk348lj@4ax.com>...
>> I also have problems with the power schemes. In my case, if I set the
>> time to 1 Min, the monitor shuts down at 1 Min as it should and
>> returns to life on mouse movement. If time is set to 2 Min, the
>> monitor flickers at two minutes and then stays on. Setting the time
>> to anything >2 Min results in no action.
>>
>> Running a P4 with XP Home and SP2.
>
>This is exactly the same timing with the standard screensaver problem
>I have since I've done a windows update session (also Win XP, SP2,
>screensaver: "Windows XP").
>

>I will now try to deinstall my last updates done in this session one
>by one and look what will happen. Here's a list of the updates:
>
>- ATI Radeon driver (2 times)
>- MS .NET Framework 1.1
>- Update for Windows XP HighMAT support (KB831240)
>- MS Windows Journal Viewer
>

>Now there is also a the SP1 for .NET available:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=867460
>
>I don't know whether this could solve the problem but I'll try this
>last because you can't uninstall it.
>

>Maybe you have analogue experiences with some Windows updates. Or:
>Does anybody know whether the .NET SP1 can solve this problem (e.g.
>according to the buglist in the link I posted above)?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Yours
>Benny

================
Hi Benny,

I may well be wrong, but I think that my Power Scheme timing problems
are related to the random application hangs that I am getting. I
can't relate either the hangs or the timing problems to any event or
softyware change that I am aware of. I know I had the problems before
I installed SP2.

If you find out anything interesting, please post. I will do the
same.

Daven
!