Windows XP Screensaver timeout problem

My screensaver and power schemes work OK when set to a one mimute
timeout, but if I set any other interval they will not start.

I have repaired XP but no improvement. I would rather not reinstall
XP.

Can anybody please give me a fix for this problem

--
Dave H
3 answers Last reply

    On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 20:39:46 +0100, Dave H <Dave.H.1dkpcy@pcbanter.net>
    wrote:

    >My screensaver and power schemes work OK when set to a one mimute
    >timeout, but if I set any other interval they will not start.
    >
    >I have repaired XP but no improvement. I would rather not reinstall
    >XP.
    >
    >Can anybody please give me a fix for this problem

    Hi Dave H

    I also have problems with the power schemes. In my case, if I set the
    time to 1 Min, the monitor shuts down at 1 Min as it should and
    returns to life on mouse movement. If time is set to 2 Min, the
    monitor flickers at two minutes and then stays on. Setting the time
    to anything >2 Min results in no action.

    Running a P4 with XP Home and SP2.

    The registry contents WRT to time setting seem to be correct.

    Another problem I have is infrequent stalling when switching
    applications, and once in a while, an auto restart. The event log
    shows hanging applications when this happens. I have turned off
    any/all programs that are not in use frequently.

    I hope someone has some ideas for us :)

    Dave N

    Daven <daven@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:<ug71m09nit9olsv8fq1ucg7j1f8lk348lj@4ax.com>...
    > I also have problems with the power schemes. In my case, if I set the
    > time to 1 Min, the monitor shuts down at 1 Min as it should and
    > returns to life on mouse movement. If time is set to 2 Min, the
    > monitor flickers at two minutes and then stays on. Setting the time
    > to anything >2 Min results in no action.
    >
    > Running a P4 with XP Home and SP2.

    This is exactly the same timing with the standard screensaver problem
    I have since I've done a windows update session (also Win XP, SP2,
    screensaver: "Windows XP").

    I will now try to deinstall my last updates done in this session one
    by one and look what will happen. Here's a list of the updates:

    - ATI Radeon driver (2 times)
    - MS .NET Framework 1.1
    - Update for Windows XP HighMAT support (KB831240)
    - MS Windows Journal Viewer

    Now there is also a the SP1 for .NET available:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=867460

    I don't know whether this could solve the problem but I'll try this
    last because you can't uninstall it.

    Maybe you have analogue experiences with some Windows updates. Or:
    Does anybody know whether the .NET SP1 can solve this problem (e.g.
    according to the buglist in the link I posted above)?

    Thanks for your help.

    Yours
    Benny

    On 5 Oct 2004 14:30:15 -0700, bennyhurst@gmx.net (Benny) wrote:

    >Daven <daven@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:<ug71m09nit9olsv8fq1ucg7j1f8lk348lj@4ax.com>...
    >> I also have problems with the power schemes. In my case, if I set the
    >> time to 1 Min, the monitor shuts down at 1 Min as it should and
    >> returns to life on mouse movement. If time is set to 2 Min, the
    >> monitor flickers at two minutes and then stays on. Setting the time
    >> to anything >2 Min results in no action.
    >>
    >> Running a P4 with XP Home and SP2.
    >
    >This is exactly the same timing with the standard screensaver problem
    >I have since I've done a windows update session (also Win XP, SP2,
    >screensaver: "Windows XP").
    >

    >I will now try to deinstall my last updates done in this session one
    >by one and look what will happen. Here's a list of the updates:
    >
    >- ATI Radeon driver (2 times)
    >- MS .NET Framework 1.1
    >- Update for Windows XP HighMAT support (KB831240)
    >- MS Windows Journal Viewer
    >

    >Now there is also a the SP1 for .NET available:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=867460
    >
    >I don't know whether this could solve the problem but I'll try this
    >last because you can't uninstall it.
    >

    >Maybe you have analogue experiences with some Windows updates. Or:
    >Does anybody know whether the .NET SP1 can solve this problem (e.g.
    >according to the buglist in the link I posted above)?
    >
    >Thanks for your help.
    >
    >Yours
    >Benny

    ================
    Hi Benny,

    I may well be wrong, but I think that my Power Scheme timing problems
    are related to the random application hangs that I am getting. I
    can't relate either the hangs or the timing problems to any event or
    softyware change that I am aware of. I know I had the problems before
    I installed SP2.

    If you find out anything interesting, please post. I will do the
    same.

    Daven

Screensaver Windows XP