File synchronization question?

We have a GPO that has been working fine since we implemented it. Lately it
has been letting people use offline files. The funny thing is that in the
GPO we have the "disable offline files" as enable. We have looked
everywhere. Is there anyway to stop this from happening besides going to
everyones PC and using the folder options in control panel? Or is there a
way to remove previous policies from users computers? We are using Windows
2000 w/ SP4 servers and all our PC's have Windows 2000 w/ SP4. Any help
would be nice. Thanks in advance for the help.

Craig

When I try to run "gpresult" I get that it "is not recognized as an internal
or external command, operable program or batch file." Any more sugestions?

Craig

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Logon to a suspect machine and run RSoP (or gpresults if Windows 2000) and
> see what policies are applying. Pay particular attention to the offline
> files settings.
>
> --
> Paul Williams
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
> http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net

I downloaded the gpresult.exe and it still will not let me run it from
command promt. On the other hand it will let me open the .exe from the
folder and it will run but not stay on the screen so that I can look at it.
Any thoughts about what I may be doing wrong?

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Yes, download it. It's a free download from Microsoft if you don't have the
> Resource Kit installed.
>
> --
> Paul Williams
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
> http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net

I might jump in for a second.

ACFINC,

I am going to assume that you simply downloaded gpresult from the Microsoft
web site. Where did you place the executable? Let's say that you place it
in a folder located at c:\support\utilities\win2000\gpresult. You would
actually have to have the command prompt at that location. So, you would
have to have the blinking cursor sitting in front of
c:\support\utilities\win2000\gpresult>. Or, you could make that location
part of the path.....

Assuming that you are at that location ( that really long path that I
mentioned.... ) you would there enter gpresult.exe with all of the necessary
switches.

Is this what you are doing? And it is still not working?

I would simply download the executable again. Sometimes things become
corrupted during the download....although I would think that this is not the
case since you can double-click on the .exe file and the command box pops
up - for that millisecond!

Here are a couple of articles that might help you with gpresult:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Resultant-Set-Policy-Queries-GPRESULT.html
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-10590-5671057.html

And the link to the download, just in case:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/gpresult-o.asp

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"ACFINC" <ACFINC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded the gpresult.exe and it still will not let me run it from
> command promt. On the other hand it will let me open the .exe from the
> folder and it will run but not stay on the screen so that I can look at
> it.
> Any thoughts about what I may be doing wrong?
>
> "ptwilliams" wrote:
>
>> Yes, download it. It's a free download from Microsoft if you don't have
>> the
>> Resource Kit installed.
>>
>> --
>> Paul Williams
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>> http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net

Thanks for the help Cary that worked I was pointing to the wrong directory.
As for the file sync. problem I had to end up going to each machine and go
into the control menu and then to file settings "I think that is right" and
deny it from there and we no longer have the file sync problem.

Thanks for all your help,

Craig

Glad to help!