Sign in with
Your question

Help building graphic design system...

Last response: in CPUs
July 14, 2006 8:59:22 AM

Hi this is my first post on the forums although I have looked around the site for a few months now.

I'm after a little help with regards to getting a system sorted for work, I'm due for a new one to upgrade my now pretty slugish G4 Mac and I was asked would I like a PC or MAC. Those who know Mac is the industry standard for graphic design still but I argued that I could put together a PC that would out perform and still be cheaper than getting a G5 Mac.

The latest G5 system available is the quad G5 (dual - dualcore G5 cpus) and the system I put together come to about £4k including a 23" monitor...rough idea of spec as follows:

quad g5
4gb RAM
250gb SATA drive
DVD burner
23" widescreen HD monitor
nvidia geforce 6600 256mb

As graphic designer programs use most are Photoshop, Illustrator, QuarkXpress, Flash, InDesign. Photoshop gets alot of heavy use with large files so the ability to handle those files is important. Also the ability to produce PDF of large catalogue from quark quickly and reliably is important.

I'm going to set a price limit of £3k on the system just as a guide open to any system suggestions AMD, Intel whatever. Systems that come with a warrenty are best gives me more leverage. I really just want a killer machine for less than an equalient spec mac.

Is it possible yet to work OS X on a PC as a boot option so I could still have OS X and windows??
July 15, 2006 3:37:15 PM

You could wait until the Mac Pro (Intel-based machines) come out in a few months.

A Conroe or AMD X2 system with 4GB RAM, a large HD and decent graphics card should be fine. You aren't making 3D art so the fastest system in the work isn't important.
July 15, 2006 4:35:21 PM

Quote:
Hi this is my first post on the forums although I have looked around the site for a few months now.

I'm after a little help with regards to getting a system sorted for work, I'm due for a new one to upgrade my now pretty slugish G4 Mac and I was asked would I like a PC or MAC. Those who know Mac is the industry standard for graphic design still but I argued that I could put together a PC that would out perform and still be cheaper than getting a G5 Mac.

The latest G5 system available is the quad G5 (dual - dualcore G5 cpus) and the system I put together come to about £4k including a 23" monitor...rough idea of spec as follows:

quad g5
4gb RAM
250gb SATA drive
DVD burner
23" widescreen HD monitor
nvidia geforce 6600 256mb

As graphic designer programs use most are Photoshop, Illustrator, QuarkXpress, Flash, InDesign. Photoshop gets alot of heavy use with large files so the ability to handle those files is important. Also the ability to produce PDF of large catalogue from quark quickly and reliably is important.

I'm going to set a price limit of £3k on the system just as a guide open to any system suggestions AMD, Intel whatever. Systems that come with a warrenty are best gives me more leverage. I really just want a killer machine for less than an equalient spec mac.

Is it possible yet to work OS X on a PC as a boot option so I could still have OS X and windows??

There is a rumor that MAC wksta will have 51xx and not Core 2. (Anand) You will be able to dual boot with them and Apple will include the CD.
Related resources
July 15, 2006 4:37:19 PM

Quote:
There is a rumor that MAC wksta will have 51xx and not Core 2. (Anand) You will be able to dual boot with them and Apple will include the CD.

Looks like the therapy of owning BaronBS is working. It seems he feels a way better now.
July 15, 2006 4:41:19 PM

Quote:

Looks like the therapy of owning BaronBS is working. It seems he feels a way better now.

I just don't like you. I find it easier to NOT HAVE A GOOD WORD TO SAY TO YOU.
July 15, 2006 4:53:25 PM

Quote:
I just don't like you.
I know, you like nobody including yourself. Anyway, thank you.
Quote:
I find it easier to NOT HAVE A GOOD WORD TO SAY TO YOU.

It is OK, we have no problems with that. We've just learned how to consume your BS and its actually fun humiliating you.
!