mobo and cpu temperature

rider86

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
hi i have a asus m2n sli-deluxe (am2) mobo with a amd athlon64 3500+ Am2 cpu. I've been monitoring the temperature a lot and well i'm wondering if i should be alarmed. the mobo is consistenly running at 70-71 C and the cpu is running at 58-60 C. should i be worried about this. does anyone know the the capasity of these two items

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I would be worried in some respect, but I've never really seen an CPU temp cooler than the mobo temp. That's a 22 degree swing on the low end, but either way both temps are high for an AM2. What is your set up like? How many hdd's\optis?

BushLin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The motherboard/chipset temp seems very excessive and the CPU temp is above what I'd call normal but these figures are not necessarily accurate, the way to see if your system is unstable due to heat would be to run a test such as Prime95's torture test, this will run CPU, Memory and Chipset at 100% until the slightest error happens and then fails.
If your system can manage to run that constantly for 24 hours your cooling is enough to keep everything running at full load though I'd still open up the case and see how hot everything is to touch afterwards.
If the test fails then you're cooling isn't up to the job, if it was fine before then it may be a mass of dust stopping the fans moving and restricting airflow, the heatsink might not be making contact or perhaps something has failed.

Run a Prime95 torture test and see how long it survives, grab it here:

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

rider86

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I would be worried in some respect, but I've never really seen an CPU temp cooler than the mobo temp. That's a 22 degree swing on the low end, but either way both temps are high for an AM2. What is your set up like? How many hdd's\optis?

i have 1 hd
2 cd/dvd drives
1floppy

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
It may or may not help, but I would play around with some 120 or 80mm fans in your case to get some more air movement. I just replace 2 80mm fans with one high powered 120mm to the back of my case and it took my scsi drives down 20c as well as a system wide cool down of about 25%.

Even for AMD systems, that's really hot, especially for the board. pick up some 120mm fans (1 for the back blowing out, one for the front drawing air in). If 120mm's aren't an option, at least get some 80mm fans and distribute them the same way. Air flow should be from the front of the case to the back.

There is of course always the possibility that the sensors just aren't reporting properly. On rare occasions, this can be solved with a bios update.