can't delete former users roaming profile folders

Hi,
I use roaming profiles on a 2000 SBS server. Over the past years, we have
had people leave the company.

I removed the users from the domain, but now find that the roaming profiles
are still in our shared 'profiles' location.

when trying to take ownership using explorer, it crashes explorer.exe.

I read subinacl.exe should reset the ownership, but only gives options for
'file' or subdirectories. Everything i try on subinacl.exe /file
d:\profiles\user /setowner=Administrator /grant=Administrator=F

i've also tried /subdirectories d:\profiles\user\*.*

but every time i get 'invalid argument"

i just want to free up the space, any advise appreciated!
(could i just boot to safe mode then take ownership? AD wouldn't start and
the owner would probobly just be the sid in that case..... )

I'm sure large networks face this daily, but i can't find any good
documentation.

thanks,
ward
1 answer Last reply
More about delete users roaming profile folders

    Ward,

    I would suggest taking ownership and then deleting. Have not tried it but
    that should work. So, your thought was, as far as I can tell, right on.

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24012

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "ward" <ward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I use roaming profiles on a 2000 SBS server. Over the past years, we have
    > had people leave the company.
    >
    > I removed the users from the domain, but now find that the roaming
    > profiles
    > are still in our shared 'profiles' location.
    >
    > when trying to take ownership using explorer, it crashes explorer.exe.
    >
    > I read subinacl.exe should reset the ownership, but only gives options for
    > 'file' or subdirectories. Everything i try on subinacl.exe /file
    > d:\profiles\user /setowner=Administrator /grant=Administrator=F
    >
    > i've also tried /subdirectories d:\profiles\user\*.*
    >
    > but every time i get 'invalid argument"
    >
    > i just want to free up the space, any advise appreciated!
    > (could i just boot to safe mode then take ownership? AD wouldn't start and
    > the owner would probobly just be the sid in that case..... )
    >
    > I'm sure large networks face this daily, but i can't find any good
    > documentation.
    >
    > thanks,
    > ward

Roaming Profiles Active Directory Windows