64bit939

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Alright so I have done it once again, I upgraded something that is forcing me to upgrade something else. I swear I never mean to do that, but it always helps justifying it to the wife. so here is my issue. I just got at dell 24" lcd widescreen monitor (by the way is simply amazing) but something I didnt think about was the fact that 1920x1200 is a high res for a game, just maybe my card cant handle that kinda res. well I am thinking about it now, I tried Toca 3 and it works perfectly, tried COD2 and it is completly unplayable. So what are my options, the recomended res for that monitor is 1920x1200 so it would be best for the monitor if I didnt go lower then that right? what video card should I get to handle cod2 and fear, hl2 at 1920x1200 with no issues? or am I talking crazy and I can just lower the res to a lower wide screen res? I have a x850xt right now.

Thanks everyone, any information on this would be great as I am new to the lcd world and new to the widescreen world

64bit939

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
that was one of my questions, I thought Lcd's dont perform good at all when they arent in there correct res. I was afraid to drop it down to something else as I know the monitor wants 1920x1200, so no damage and or quality to the monitor if I drop it down?

Cody_7

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
Well, the noticeable problem when lowing your res with an LCD in a game is the edges of most objects appear very jagged. That's my experience at least. With my 19" LCD monitor, it bothers me to run in any resolution lower than my max, so i try and run the highest if possible.

I don't often play CoD2 for the very reason it performs like a steaming pile of crap on most video cards inluding mine. If i run at 1280x1024 with textures on Extra, and everything else on medium my framerate often dips in the 20s!! The strange thing is, if I disable DX9 in the options menu [by setting it to DX7] my framerate jumps to 80! And even stranger, the only DX9 feature I see in CoD2 is bump-mapping and should not cripple someone's framerate like that. I just think the CoD2 engine is very bad.

So, here's my reccomendation: Unless you set your render mode to Direct X 7 [making it look similar to CoD1] the only other setting that seems to have a big impact on performance are your resolution settings. I would either do:

1) Switch to DX7, and turn on anti-aliasing and run in your full resolution (That's a very nice resolution your monitor has!) or
2) Leave the settings on high with DX9 and switch to a lower resolution like 1280x800 (this is the same widescreen ratio as the LCD's native one). It will look jagged, but will have the nice luster of DX9.

Hope I helped, and good luck!

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Uh, he meant play the game on medium or low quality settings. Not drop the resolution. That said, dropping the resolution won't damage your monitor, but it will make your game look fuzzy and crappy. So either way you're going to lose quality in-game.

64bit939

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
you helped a lot! I will try both options, I was told once that it caused damage so I was a little worried to do that to my new baby. But now that I know what it does I wont bother getting worried. I should have thought about the res and my video card, but I was so memorized by the monitor I didnt care about anything. would be awesome to get that kind of res on every game.

Thanks again!

Cody_7

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
Well first off, did you try both options? Which did you like better?

And the X800XL is a good card, but it would be a wise descision to upgrade your graphics card to run in higher resolutions. You can actually get the X1900XT stock Here for just under $390 which is a very good deal for a high-end card. It will last you a long time! I feel it is sometimes a curse to have an LCD with high resolutions and sometimes a beautiful thing :D

P.S. In response to qwertycopter
I recommended turning down his resolution or switching the render mode option to DX7 specifically because turning many of the other options to Low or Off makes little difference. Believe me, I've spent hours trying to figure the settings out in CoD2.

I also feel games look tons worse on a lower res with LCD's, qwertycopter, but sometimes you gotta deal with it :(