Does this mean imminent failure?

Harris2508

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
A very small event occurs when I shut down this PC at the end of the day and I'm wondering if this indicates that either the Powersupply or MB are getting ready to say goodby.

At the end of the day when I shutdown the PC, I flip a switch on a powerblock that turns off all power to the PC, monitor, etc. This is of course after Windows has shut down and the PC is off.

Just recently, when I shut off the power there appears to be a shot of power for about 1/2 second. The light on the front of the PC comes on then off and I can hear the fans giving a quick shot. This morning, before starting up, I turned on the power, left it on about 10 seconds and turned it off. The same thing happend. I'm wondering if this could be a potential power supply failure developing.

The power supply is a PC Power & Cooling 450 W unit about 3 to 4 years old. The rest of the system is as below:

Asus P4P800 SE, 2 G RAM
CPU: Intel Northwood 3.06 P4
HD: One 80 G ATA Maxtor
1 DVD-RW, 1 CD-R
No audio card

Thanks a lot for any thoughts. This is my business PC and I try to stay ahead of its problems. :D

--Bob

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
What do you mean by power block? Like a power bar / surge protector? Maybe that's the unit that's having problems, try a different one and see if it still happens. If it does then try a different psu.

Harris2508

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
Yes, the 'power block' is a box plugged into my UPS (which is always on) with 6 switched outlets. I had not thought of that. Very good suggestion!

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

--Bob

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
how could it be a PSU failing??

i think the shot of power is power stored in the PSU already and the PSU is releasing it?..just a thought.