HP DeskJet 970Cse Refill systems any good?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
May 7, 2005 5:55:14 PM

Hi!

I just bought a used "HP DeskJet 970Cse" and was wondering if anyone
had some good experiences with refill kits. If so, can you please tell
me which ones you like?

Thanks, New
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 8, 2005 2:00:55 AM

I have a couple years experience refilling the 45 and 78 carts. They are
temperamental at best. Figure on averaging 5 refills on the 45 and 2-3 on
the 78. But some carts never seem to cooperate. I used the system sold at
www.inkjetsaver.com . It works great for the 45, the snap-n-fill routine is
very good with them. Some carts last for 6-8 refills. The 78 is a whole
nuther story. Never run a cart even close to empty, always refill early and
don't waste your time on a cart that won't behave.

Keep a set of 3 45's and 3 78's, and rotate them through the printer. That
way it doesn't remember them and show them as empty.

"New" <newjunk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I just bought a used "HP DeskJet 970Cse" and was wondering if anyone
> had some good experiences with refill kits. If so, can you please tell
> me which ones you like?
>
> Thanks, New

May 8, 2005 3:58:08 AM

Hello New
Hmmm difficult question in some ways. I have found Inktec to be very good, they
produce a large range of refill kits.
The 970cse uses a 45 black and 78 Colour cartridge I think, the black cartridge
is fairly straightforward to fill beacsue it has no foam filling. The 78 is
foam filled and has three printheads (combined into one module) and becasue it
is foam filled and there are 3 times the chances of a problemy they can be a
bit tricky. If both cartridges are working well apart from low ink levels then
you will probably be OK. The process is a bit messy at home so wear gloves etc.
Ideally the 78 should be filled in a vacuum chamber and that is the only way I
have seen them repeatedly refilled successfully (I know people who say it works
OK without a chamber). The biggest issue you are likely to face with the colour
cartridge is air pockets after filling (hence the vacuum chamber which helps to
eliminate air pockets), if you dampen the head after filling and leave the
cartridge sitting upright overnight (re-dampen with water from time to time)
you will increase the chances of a successful refill.
Sorry I do not have a great opinion of home refill kits for foam filled
cartridges in general but many people are happy with them.
Tony

"New" <newjunk@despammed.com> wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I just bought a used "HP DeskJet 970Cse" and was wondering if anyone
>had some good experiences with refill kits. If so, can you please tell
>me which ones you like?
>
>Thanks, New

Related resources
May 8, 2005 6:56:28 AM

Hi again New
May I suggest that you carefully read what measekite has posted before in this
newsgroup and make your own judgement about his expertise. His knowledge is
almost nil and his experience with printers goes back only a few months, others
in this ng have years of experience.
He is rude and insults anyone who disagrees with him. I have no affiliation
with Inktec and if I was trying to get business I would have suggested that you
buy new cartridges. There is zero chance that refilling your cartridges will
damage your printer, the colour cartridge cannot leak and if the black
cartridge is going to leak it will do so while you are refilling it, not later
in the printer I have never seen a printer damaged by a leaking ink cartridge
in many years of printer servicing. There is as I said before a reasonable
chance that the refilling of the colour cartridge will be successful, the black
cartridge is almost certainly going to be OK. It is only messy if you are not
prepared, use a sink, ink won't hurt stainless steel, use gloves to avoid
staining your hands and follow the instructions carefully.

Good luck and please review measekites attitude by reading his previous posts,
that will help you decide on his worthiness.

Tony

"New" <newjunk@despammed.com> wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I just bought a used "HP DeskJet 970Cse" and was wondering if anyone
>had some good experiences with refill kits. If so, can you please tell
>me which ones you like?
>
>Thanks, New

May 8, 2005 11:44:54 AM

New wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just bought a used "HP DeskJet 970Cse" and was wondering if anyone
> had some good experiences with refill kits. If so, can you please tell
> me which ones you like?
>
> Thanks, New

Hi New.

You'll get a variety of answers to your question by knowledgeable
professionals with years of experience in selling and using refill kits
and probably a rebuttal (of sorts) from someone with no experience at
all either in using or selling refills yet with an ax to grind for
reasons unknown to anyone. I've kill filed this person and suggest you
do the same as he has nothing of value to add to this discussion.
Obviously you're seeking sound, professional advice which is always
available in this ng.
Thanks for asking and good luck.

Frank
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 8, 2005 5:27:04 PM

Tony wrote:

>Hi again New
>May I suggest that you carefully read what measekite has posted before in this
>newsgroup and make your own judgement about his expertise. His knowledge is
>almost nil and his experience with printers goes back only a few months, others
>in this ng have years of experience.
>He is rude and insults anyone who disagrees with him.

Tony da Tiger is a plant in the aftermarket and independent repair
business; therefore you cannot trust what he said due to his monetary
motivation. My opinions are personal opinions. I gain nothing if you
buy a Canon, HP or an Epson.

>I have no affiliation
>with Inktec

He is like a lobbyist that will say things to further his industry.
These people are very sneaky. There was another, WeStink, that was even
more blatant until I exposed him and then he started spamming the NG by
putting links to his wares.

>and if I was trying to get business I would have suggested that you
>buy new cartridges. There is zero chance that refilling your cartridges will
>damage your printer, the colour cartridge cannot leak and if the black
>cartridge is going to leak it will do so while you are refilling it, not later
>in the printer I have never seen a printer damaged by a leaking ink cartridge
>in many years of printer servicing.

Do you see any reputable aftermarket companies? If you find one do you
see any warranty that says "This cartridge is guaranteed not to leak and
if it does we will repair or replace your printer.?

>There is as I said before a reasonable
>chance that the refilling of the colour cartridge will be successful, the black
>cartridge is almost certainly going to be OK. It is only messy if you are not
>prepared, use a sink, ink won't hurt stainless steel, use gloves to avoid
>staining your hands and follow the instructions carefully.
>
>Good luck and please review measekites attitude by reading his previous posts,
>that will help you decide on his worthiness.
>
>Tony
>
>"New" <newjunk@despammed.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi!
>>
>>I just bought a used "HP DeskJet 970Cse" and was wondering if anyone
>>had some good experiences with refill kits. If so, can you please tell
>>me which ones you like?
>>
>>Thanks, New

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 8, 2005 7:07:10 PM

Frank wrote:

> New wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I just bought a used "HP DeskJet 970Cse" and was wondering if anyone
>> had some good experiences with refill kits. If so, can you please tell
>> me which ones you like?
>>
>> Thanks, New
>>
> Hi New.
>
> You'll get a variety of answers to your question by knowledgeable
> professionals with years of experience in

> selling

Is Frankie Crankie a seller in disguise?

> and using refill kits and probably a rebuttal (of sorts) from someone
> with no experience at all either in using or selling refills yet with
> an ax to grind for reasons unknown to anyone. I've kill filed this
> person and suggest you do the same as

Frankie Crankie

> has nothing of value to add to this discussion. Obviously you're
> seeking sound, professional advice

which I cannot give you

> which is always available in this ng.
> Thanks for asking and good luck.
>
> Frank
May 8, 2005 9:15:00 PM

I used to refill these for a few years and filled a 78 recently for someone,
successfully I might add. I used to get many 45 refills out of a cartridge
(lost count) and as many refills with the 78 as you want but the resolution
seems to go off after 4 or 5 refills, so just plan on 3 for best quality. I
think there's plenty of good kits out there, it's the method that's most
important though. I found drilling 3 holes in the front about 1.3" from the
top and filling from there with long syringes towards the head was the best
method as there is no way to overfill as the holes act as overflows.
Overfilling seems to not be a good thing with 78s. Fill until ink emerges
at each hole then draw .5ml out and tape over the holes. Keep the head in
damp tissue throughout. Change to dry tissue once the initial dripping
slows. Once the ink has stopped dripping (5 to 20 mins) put the cartridge
in the printer and leave it unused for several hours. This is the most
important part, if you print too soon or run cleaning cycles before internal
pressures have equalised and before any microscopic air bubbles have had a
chance to rise out of harms way, then you will get problems. After the
several hour wait try a test print and run a cleaning cycle if necessary.

"New" <newjunk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I just bought a used "HP DeskJet 970Cse" and was wondering if anyone
> had some good experiences with refill kits. If so, can you please tell
> me which ones you like?
>
> Thanks, New

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 8, 2005 9:15:01 PM

SteveB wrote:

>I used to refill these for a few years and filled a 78 recently for someone,
>successfully I might add. I used to get many 45 refills out of a cartridge
>(lost count) and as many refills with the 78 as you want but the resolution
>seems to go off after 4 or 5 refills, so just plan on 3 for best quality. I
>think there's plenty of good kits out there, it's the method that's most
>important though. I found drilling 3 holes in the front about 1.3" from the
>top and filling from there with long syringes towards the head was the best
>method as there is no way to overfill as the holes act as overflows.
>Overfilling seems to not be a good thing with 78s. Fill until ink emerges
>at each hole then draw .5ml out and tape over the holes. Keep the head in
>damp tissue throughout. Change to dry tissue once the initial dripping
>slows. Once the ink has stopped dripping (5 to 20 mins) put the cartridge
>in the printer and leave it unused for several hours. This is the most
>important part, if you print too soon or run cleaning cycles before internal
>pressures have equalised and before any microscopic air bubbles have had a
>chance to rise out of harms way, then you will get problems. After the
>several hour wait try a test print and run a cleaning cycle if necessary.

It sound really messy.

>"New" <newjunk@despammed.com> wrote in message
>

>>Hi!
>>
>>I just bought a used "HP DeskJet 970Cse" and was wondering if anyone
>>had some good experiences with refill kits. If so, can you please tell
>>me which ones you like?
>>
>>Thanks, New

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 19, 2005 1:24:51 PM

Thank you, Steve.

I understand that my printer model takes both pigment and dye based
inks.

Which ones of each do you recommend?
I mean, which brand names of inks?

Thank you,
New

SteveB wrote:
> I used to refill these for a few years and filled a 78 recently for
someone,
> successfully I might add. I used to get many 45 refills out of a
cartridge
> (lost count) and as many refills with the 78 as you want but the
resolution
> seems to go off after 4 or 5 refills, so just plan on 3 for best
quality. I
> think there's plenty of good kits out there, it's the method that's
most
> important though. I found drilling 3 holes in the front about 1.3"
from the
> top and filling from there with long syringes towards the head was
the best
> method as there is no way to overfill as the holes act as overflows.
> Overfilling seems to not be a good thing with 78s. Fill until ink
emerges
> at each hole then draw .5ml out and tape over the holes. Keep the
head in
> damp tissue throughout. Change to dry tissue once the initial
dripping
> slows. Once the ink has stopped dripping (5 to 20 mins) put the
cartridge
> in the printer and leave it unused for several hours. This is the
most
> important part, if you print too soon or run cleaning cycles before
internal
> pressures have equalised and before any microscopic air bubbles have
had a
> chance to rise out of harms way, then you will get problems. After
the
> several hour wait try a test print and run a cleaning cycle if
necessary.

> "New" <newjunk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > I just bought a used "HP DeskJet 970Cse" and was wondering if
anyone
> > had some good experiences with refill kits. If so, can you please
tell
> > me which ones you like?
> >
> > Thanks, New

May 20, 2005 12:08:14 PM

The 45 takes black pigmented ink only and the 78 takes dye ink only. I'm UK
based, I used to get my 78 ink and 45 black pigmented ink from two separate
companies that have both closed down now. I believe there are lots of good
colour ink kits out there but you have to be careful that you are getting
real pigmented black ink as some companies still don't know the difference
and try to sell you black dye ink which will work but will be feint and
spidery in comparison with pigment ink on plain paper. The ink I used to
use must have been good though, 4yr old photos haven't faded at all.

> Thank you, Steve.
>
> I understand that my printer model takes both pigment and dye based
> inks.
>
> Which ones of each do you recommend?
> I mean, which brand names of inks?
>
> Thank you,
> New
>
> SteveB wrote:
>> I used to refill these for a few years and filled a 78 recently for
> someone,
>> successfully I might add. I used to get many 45 refills out of a
> cartridge
>> (lost count) and as many refills with the 78 as you want but the
> resolution
>> seems to go off after 4 or 5 refills, so just plan on 3 for best
> quality. I
>> think there's plenty of good kits out there, it's the method that's
> most
>> important though. I found drilling 3 holes in the front about 1.3"
> from the
>> top and filling from there with long syringes towards the head was
> the best
>> method as there is no way to overfill as the holes act as overflows.
>> Overfilling seems to not be a good thing with 78s. Fill until ink
> emerges
>> at each hole then draw .5ml out and tape over the holes. Keep the
> head in
>> damp tissue throughout. Change to dry tissue once the initial
> dripping
>> slows. Once the ink has stopped dripping (5 to 20 mins) put the
> cartridge
>> in the printer and leave it unused for several hours. This is the
> most
>> important part, if you print too soon or run cleaning cycles before
> internal
>> pressures have equalised and before any microscopic air bubbles have
> had a
>> chance to rise out of harms way, then you will get problems. After
> the
>> several hour wait try a test print and run a cleaning cycle if
> necessary.
>>

>> "New" <newjunk@despammed.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I just bought a used "HP DeskJet 970Cse" and was wondering if
> anyone
>> > had some good experiences with refill kits. If so, can you please
> tell
>> > me which ones you like?
>> >
>> > Thanks, New

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 24, 2005 9:36:37 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

I also believe there are lots of good ink refill kits out there, but I
don't know which companies know the difference between dye ink and
pigment ink!

Is there an easy way figure this out, so I don't have to find out when
I see spider-legs on the page?

I thought I'd start up a collection of ink companies and just ask each
one. Maybe they'll talk to me.

Thank you!
New

!