Windows 2003 Active Directory Benefits

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

All my DCs are now W2K3. Can anyone point me to a definitive document that
describes the benefits to raising the functional level from Windows 2000 to
Windows 2003?
4 answers Last reply
More about windows 2003 active directory benefits

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/83347346-54d4-4963-8a4a-370a127fb375.mspx

    "Zippy2004" <Zippy2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.
    >
    > All my DCs are now W2K3. Can anyone point me to a definitive document that
    > describes the benefits to raising the functional level from Windows 2000
    > Windows 2003?

    Zippy,

    Do you have any WIN2000 Domain Controllers in your environment? Or, does
    the possibility exist that you might need one?

    Here are some links:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/b3674c9b-fab9-4c1e-a8f6-787126471271.mspx

    http://www.petri.co.il/what's_new_in_windows_server_2003_active_directory.htm

    I think that the link that Simon gave you is the HowTo on changing the
    domain-level and forest-level functionality.

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24012

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Zippy2004" <Zippy2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.
    >
    > All my DCs are now W2K3. Can anyone point me to a definitive document that
    > describes the benefits to raising the functional level from Windows 2000
    > Windows 2003?

    Hello Cary.

    No the last of my Windows 2000 DCs is gone and only Windows 2003 DCs are
    left. There won't be any new Windows 2000 DCs.

    I was just looking for a document that explains the benefits of a Windows
    2003 domain -- basically, why would I want to change the forest and
    comain-level from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003?

    Thanks for both links. I believe you hit on it with the 2nd link.

    Thanks everyone for their help.

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

    > Zippy,
    >
    > Do you have any WIN2000 Domain Controllers in your environment? Or, does
    > the possibility exist that you might need one?
    >
    > Here are some links:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/b3674c9b-fab9-4c1e-a8f6-787126471271.mspx
    >
    > http://www.petri.co.il/what's_new_in_windows_server_2003_active_directory.htm
    >
    > I think that the link that Simon gave you is the HowTo on changing the
    > domain-level and forest-level functionality.
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24012
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "Zippy2004" <Zippy2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.
    > >
    > > All my DCs are now W2K3. Can anyone point me to a definitive document that
    > > describes the benefits to raising the functional level from Windows 2000
    > > Windows 2003?

    Excellent!

    --

    > Hello Cary.
    >
    > No the last of my Windows 2000 DCs is gone and only Windows 2003 DCs are
    > left. There won't be any new Windows 2000 DCs.
    >
    > I was just looking for a document that explains the benefits of a Windows
    > 2003 domain -- basically, why would I want to change the forest and
    > comain-level from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003?
    >
    > Thanks for both links. I believe you hit on it with the 2nd link.
    >
    > Thanks everyone for their help.
    >
    > "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Zippy,
    >>
    >> Do you have any WIN2000 Domain Controllers in your environment? Or, does
    >> the possibility exist that you might need one?
    >>
    >> Here are some links:
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/b3674c9b-fab9-4c1e-a8f6-787126471271.mspx
    >>
    >> http://www.petri.co.il/what's_new_in_windows_server_2003_active_directory.htm
    >>
    >> I think that the link that Simon gave you is the HowTo on changing the
    >> domain-level and forest-level functionality.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cary W. Shultz
    >> Roanoke, VA 24012
    >> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >>
    >> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    >> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >>

    >> "Zippy2004" <Zippy2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.
    >> >
    >> > All my DCs are now W2K3. Can anyone point me to a definitive document
    >> > that
    >> > describes the benefits to raising the functional level from Windows
    >> > 2000
    >> > Windows 2003?

Windows Server 2003 Microsoft Active Directory Windows