Windows 2003 Active Directory Benefits

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

All my DCs are now W2K3. Can anyone point me to a definitive document that
describes the benefits to raising the functional level from Windows 2000 to
Windows 2003?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/83347346-54d4-4963-8a4a-370a127fb375.mspx

"Zippy2004" <Zippy2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.
>
> All my DCs are now W2K3. Can anyone point me to a definitive document that
> describes the benefits to raising the functional level from Windows 2000
> Windows 2003?

Zippy,

Do you have any WIN2000 Domain Controllers in your environment? Or, does
the possibility exist that you might need one?

Here are some links:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/b3674c9b-fab9-4c1e-a8f6-787126471271.mspx

http://www.petri.co.il/what's_new_in_windows_server_2003_active_directory.htm

I think that the link that Simon gave you is the HowTo on changing the
domain-level and forest-level functionality.

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Zippy2004" <Zippy2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.
>
> All my DCs are now W2K3. Can anyone point me to a definitive document that
> describes the benefits to raising the functional level from Windows 2000
> Windows 2003?

Hello Cary.

No the last of my Windows 2000 DCs is gone and only Windows 2003 DCs are
left. There won't be any new Windows 2000 DCs.

I was just looking for a document that explains the benefits of a Windows
2003 domain -- basically, why would I want to change the forest and
comain-level from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003?

Thanks for both links. I believe you hit on it with the 2nd link.

Thanks everyone for their help.

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

> Zippy,
>
> Do you have any WIN2000 Domain Controllers in your environment? Or, does
> the possibility exist that you might need one?
>
> Here are some links:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/b3674c9b-fab9-4c1e-a8f6-787126471271.mspx
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/what's_new_in_windows_server_2003_active_directory.htm
>
> I think that the link that Simon gave you is the HowTo on changing the
> domain-level and forest-level functionality.
>
> --
> Cary W. Shultz
> Roanoke, VA 24012
> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>
> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
>

> "Zippy2004" <Zippy2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.
> >
> > All my DCs are now W2K3. Can anyone point me to a definitive document that
> > describes the benefits to raising the functional level from Windows 2000
> > Windows 2003?

Excellent!

--

> Hello Cary.
>
> No the last of my Windows 2000 DCs is gone and only Windows 2003 DCs are
> left. There won't be any new Windows 2000 DCs.
>
> I was just looking for a document that explains the benefits of a Windows
> 2003 domain -- basically, why would I want to change the forest and
> comain-level from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003?
>
> Thanks for both links. I believe you hit on it with the 2nd link.
>
> Thanks everyone for their help.
>
> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Zippy,
>>
>> Do you have any WIN2000 Domain Controllers in your environment? Or, does
>> the possibility exist that you might need one?
>>
>> Here are some links:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/b3674c9b-fab9-4c1e-a8f6-787126471271.mspx
>>
>> http://www.petri.co.il/what's_new_in_windows_server_2003_active_directory.htm
>>
>> I think that the link that Simon gave you is the HowTo on changing the
>> domain-level and forest-level functionality.
>>
>> --
>> Cary W. Shultz
>> Roanoke, VA 24012
>> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>>
>> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
>> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
>>

>> "Zippy2004" <Zippy2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.
>> >
>> > All my DCs are now W2K3. Can anyone point me to a definitive document
>> > that
>> > describes the benefits to raising the functional level from Windows
>> > 2000
>> > Windows 2003?

TRENDING THREADS