graphics card recommendations

evanster

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
hey guys. im new here. i just have a quick question on opinions of which AGP graphics card would best suit me. I have a relatively "old" sony vaio pcv-rx640 with 512mb RAM, 1.3 GHz intel processor and its running with a 19" dell lcd monitor. I want a good graphics card (preferably under $200) strictly for use with digital video editing, that is rendering and replaying movies. I dont play games often enough to NEED it for game playing.

Reason I ask is because I just got a copy of adobe premiere and importing videos through firewire is terrible. The quality is grainy and it lags like you wouldnt believe. This also applies to playing any videos or tv shows I buy off itunes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cleeve

Illustrious
Reason I ask is because I just got a copy of adobe premiere and importing videos through firewire is terrible.

Something is terribly wrong and it has nothing to do with the videocard.

Firewire is digital, whatever you get through it should offer an identical picture quality to whatever the source file is.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Reason I ask is because I just got a copy of adobe premiere and importing videos through firewire is terrible.

Something is terribly wrong and it has nothing to do with the videocard.

Firewire is digital, whatever you get through it should offer an identical picture quality to whatever the source file is.
My thoughts exactly.

Cody_7

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
It sounds like the source file must not be of good quality... specifically if you describe it as "grainy".

Since you do video editing, i'm not sure if you know or not but i'll mention it anyway: The video quality on my MiniDV camera looked excellent on tape, and on the Tv... but once I copied to to my PC with any program (In a max of 640x480 resolution) it wasn't very good quality. I was suprised.

As for the video card, a Radeon 9800 or This X800XL 256MB AGP video card is a good choice. The X800 is only just over $100 which is an excellent price. The X800 is a good gaming card (I know you don't do that) but will last alot longer than the 9800.

It's up to you, of course. Oh, and I found a page on the net that the PC you're using has an integrated card; just make sure it has an AGP upgrade slot.