printing envelopes with samsung laser printer?

Has anyone used a Samsung laser printer for printing envelopes? How
well did it work? I need to print approx 200 envelopes at a time.
Aaron
7 answers Last reply
More about printing envelopes samsung laser printer

    aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
    > Has anyone used a Samsung laser printer for printing envelopes? How
    > well did it work? I need to print approx 200 envelopes at a time.
    > Aaron

    I haven't personally, but be aware that there are certain types of envelope
    you *cannot* put through a laser - self seal being the obvious, as the heat
    will melt the glue and it will adhere itself to the drum (as well as
    anywhere else). I wouldn't want to replace a £100 part because of a 2p
    envelope.

    Just one question - is there any reason you can't print labels and stick
    them on? That's what I do. OK, it's an extra step, but I'd rather do a
    little more work than have my printer (I was going to say 'expensive
    printer' but Samsung don't make expensive printers) damaged by an envelope.
    I've always used Avery (because they guarantee their labels won't peel off
    until you need them to so, presumably, that means if, in the unlikely event
    that, a sheet of their labels /did/ damage your printer, they'd pay for the
    replacement part).

    The other added bonus with Avery is the little Office plugin - lines
    everything up for you, you just add your text, stick the labels in the
    printer and hit print.

    three issues - the paper path, how many can be stacked or placed into a
    cassette, and the glue issue that Miss Tick mentions. Years ago I had an
    HPIIIP printer that didn't have a straight paper path. It bent the
    envelopes enough to crease them and make them unuseable. I then purchased an
    HP5P that has an auxilliary paper exit tray that opens at the rear of the
    printer and an upper paper feed tray that opens from the front (in addition
    to the built-in cassette paper tray under the printer.) Envelopes and
    fairly heavy card stock print well from the top feed tray with the rear exit
    open. Although I have stacked four or five at a time, the feed pickup
    sometimes doesn't pick up an envelope. Since I don't do large runs like you
    describe, feeding then one at a time is no problem. The largest run I do is
    40 or so. My cassette is not designed for envelopes. Although there are
    envelopes that are sold specifically for use in laser printers to solve the
    glue issue, I have always used standard #10 business envelopes - the real
    cheapies in boxes of 500. So far, I haven't had a problem with them. The
    glue does stick very lightly from the heat, but it immediately pulls open
    with no damage to the printer or envelope. I do understand Miss Tick's use
    of labels, but I prefer the appearance of the address printed directly on
    the envelope and also can print the return address at the same time. I have
    done a good number of mailmerge envelope runs this way with no problem.

    > aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
    >> Has anyone used a Samsung laser printer for printing envelopes? How
    >> well did it work? I need to print approx 200 envelopes at a time.
    >> Aaron
    >
    > I haven't personally, but be aware that there are certain types of
    > envelope you *cannot* put through a laser - self seal being the obvious,
    > as the heat will melt the glue and it will adhere itself to the drum (as
    > well as anywhere else). I wouldn't want to replace a £100 part because of
    > a 2p envelope.
    >
    > Just one question - is there any reason you can't print labels and stick
    > them on? That's what I do. OK, it's an extra step, but I'd rather do a
    > little more work than have my printer (I was going to say 'expensive
    > printer' but Samsung don't make expensive printers) damaged by an
    > envelope. I've always used Avery (because they guarantee their labels
    > won't peel off until you need them to so, presumably, that means if, in
    > the unlikely event that, a sheet of their labels /did/ damage your
    > printer, they'd pay for the replacement part).
    >
    > The other added bonus with Avery is the little Office plugin - lines
    > everything up for you, you just add your text, stick the labels in the
    > printer and hit print.
    >

    > --
    > In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    thank you for your suggestion! there areVERY good reasons why my
    preference is to print the evelope using a laser printer.

    1. addressee address printed directly onto envelope. no need
    for additional
    label affixing step

    2. Return address with LOGO also printed at same time!

    3. Additional info can also be printed on envelope. Eg: FIRST
    CLASS MAIL,
    NEWS, ANTIQUE POSTCARD ENCLOSED, etc.

    I have been using the HP laserjet 1200 which does work. I am posting
    the question because Samsung printers are less expensive and does have
    faster printers than the HP 1200.

    best, Aaron

    I have a Samsung ML1510 (Don't laugh) it's only an 'El Cheapo',
    actually I was looking for a replacement for the dreaded Epson C62
    and came across this at Dabbs Computers, Bolton, UK for about £48 -
    and it proved to be a real work horse, I got this initially to make
    printed circuit boards by using 'Toner Transfer paper' and does a
    remarkable job infact the C62 is just ornament now as it does almost
    everyhting.

    It has already had two toner refill's, I found I could refill the
    toner for about £6 instead of replacing the entire toner unit for
    around £60.

    Decide on the model and check the following and you can save a lot of
    money by getting refills instead of toner cartridge unit, which
    incidentally contains the drum unit, hence the expense..

    http://www.refilltoner.com/samsungRefillCom.html

    The site not only tells you the models that are refillable but
    explains and shows how to do it.

    This particular one does crease the envelopes slightly in one corner -
    DON'T TAKE THIS AS SAYING THAT ALL OTHER MODELS ARE THE SAME, this is
    after all an 'El Cheapo' but the text is crisp as can be expected, so
    you really would need to check this point, I would expect a reasonably
    priced printer be able to cope in this respect and not have this
    problem, no doubt I'm gonna' get told to use laser lables....!

    Another thing before we get told it ain't a laser printer (as we know
    them) it's actually a LED (light emitting diode) printer, a laser is
    only polarised light afterall no matter what the light source, but is
    usually at the red end of the light spectrum running into the
    infra-red - akin to the laser unit in a CD/DVD player.

    I only wished I bought it before the C62.....!

    Cheers Davy

    Davy says
    Hope you don't mind the above copy, saves me doing it all again,seem
    to recall I answered the same question a page or two back.

    I WILL ADD HOWEVER, the envelopes I use are self seal, this I did not
    mention, I think there are such things as 'laser envelopes' but if
    they are self seal or not I will be corrected, its just that I had
    the impression that the ones I used were - the sticky stuff did not
    suffer and no jams to date but just that crease in the one corner as
    though the rollors can't guide the paper - I imagine better models
    would be able to cope in this respect, but do check and see the model
    you are getting is refillable - saves pounds/dollars if you do.

    Cheers again

    Aaron - if you haven't bought the printer yet why not take a handful of
    envelopes to your nearest computer store and get a demonstration. Another
    little quirk you need to consider - How close to the edge of the envelope
    will the printer print? The top margin for printing to start on the
    envelope is important for placement of your return address. My HP5p laser
    (an oldie but goodie) printer prints 1/4 inch from the left side wher the
    paper guide is located so it work perfectly for return addresses.

    Burt <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote:
    > Aaron - if you haven't bought the printer yet why not take a handful of
    > envelopes to your nearest computer store and get a demonstration. Another
    > little quirk you need to consider - How close to the edge of the envelope
    > will the printer print? The top margin for printing to start on the
    > envelope is important for placement of your return address. My HP5p laser

    Only if the OP is in the USA I think, it's not the habit to print the
    return address on the front of the envelope (or anywhere for that
    matter) in Europe.

    > (an oldie but goodie) printer prints 1/4 inch from the left side wher the
    > paper guide is located so it work perfectly for return addresses.

    --
    Chris Green

    I have no problems printing the return address. MS Word has the
    facility under Tools/Envelopess where it will store the 'from
    address'

    Both addresses are fully ajustable ie. left or right, up or down - no
    doubt there are other programmes for your purpose.

    I usually print the 'from' address in the top left hand corner on the
    DL sized envelopes
    ..
    Davy.

Printers Samsung Laser Printer Peripherals