Windows administration (subdomain model)

Hi,
I am newbie. I installed subdomain xyz.home.net. I am wondering how do I
allow users from home.net to access the resource (network share) of sudomain
xyz.home.net. For an example, if I setup a network share on xyz.home.net
server and how can the end user (home.com, root domain) access the subdomain
resource. I will be appreciated your information and help.

Thanks,

John Chow

Well first of all they need to know that this other domain exists so your
clients should be able to resolve the subdomain name in DNS. For a home
network you probably just have all your DNS zones running on the same
server?

There is an implicit trust automatically created between child and root
domains so you shouldn't have a permissions problem. From the root domain
PC, you should be able to map a drive to domain\share, where domain is the
NetBIOS name of the child domain.

"Johnny Chow" <jchow10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am newbie. I installed subdomain xyz.home.net. I am wondering how do I
> allow users from home.net to access the resource (network share) of
> sudomain xyz.home.net. For an example, if I setup a network share on
> xyz.home.net server and how can the end user (home.com, root domain)
> access the subdomain resource. I will be appreciated your information and
> help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Chow

Yes, I have DNS zones running on the same server. I am curious why
administrator or domain admin account in root domain is not part of build-in
administrator group and vis versa as default (subdomain environment).

Thank you,

John Chow

"Simon Geary" <simon_geary@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well first of all they need to know that this other domain exists so your
> clients should be able to resolve the subdomain name in DNS. For a home
> network you probably just have all your DNS zones running on the same
> server?
>
> There is an implicit trust automatically created between child and root
> domains so you shouldn't have a permissions problem. From the root domain
> PC, you should be able to map a drive to domain\share, where domain is the
> NetBIOS name of the child domain.
>
> "Johnny Chow" <jchow10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I am newbie. I installed subdomain xyz.home.net. I am wondering how do
>> I allow users from home.net to access the resource (network share) of
>> sudomain xyz.home.net. For an example, if I setup a network share on
>> xyz.home.net server and how can the end user (home.com, root domain)
>> access the subdomain resource. I will be appreciated your information
>> and help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John Chow

Barry

John Chow wrote:
> Yes, I have DNS zones running on the same server. I am curious why
> administrator or domain admin account in root domain is not part of build-in
> administrator group and vis versa as default (subdomain environment).
>
> Thank you,
>
> John Chow

It just isn't. Add it to Enterprise Admins if you really want