integrate server2000 and win2003 SBS?

I have a client that currently has an old server with win2000 installed. I'm
going to install another server with SBS and server2003. I will completely
configure the new server and they will be up and running. I would like then
to add the old server as a sort of backup and redundant machine for *some*
applications just in case the new server goes down for any reason.

I have been advised that there are issues with combining the two. I don't
quite know what the person was saying. Can anyone tell me, is there something
I should know about this? I can't believe 2003 would not be compatable with
2000. I think they specifically mentioned the domain and active directory.
thanks

I might post this to the Small Business Server News Group. There are some
very smart people in there who will be able to guide you to the proper
solution.

Essentially, when you install Small Business Server - whether it is SBS2000
or SBS2003 - you are creating a new Forest. It will be separate from any
existing Forests.

So, if you wanted an additional Domain Controller - which might not be such
a bad idea - you could join the existing WIN2000 Server ( you fail to
mention if this WIN2000 Server is a Stand-alone Server or a Domain
Controller ) to the SBS2003 domain / tree / forest and then run dcpromo on
it to make it an additional Domain Controller for that SBS2003 environment.
You just need to make sure that the forest-level and domain-level of the
SBS2003 environment will allow for WIN2000 Domain Controllers. This would
be your 'compatibility issue!

Now, whether there are issues with this configuration I do not know. You
would be better served asking someone in the SBS news group.

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com