Sign in with
Your question

HELP NEEDED URGENTLY!! CHANGED FAN AND OVERHEATING!!

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
July 14, 2006 9:47:19 PM

OK I am Running a P4 550 Socket 775 3.4Ghz CPU. It was using its stock Cooler and was idling at about 58c this wasnt an intel cooler it was a TaiSol Heatpipe cooler standard from Compaq. I have now changed this with a Sharkoon Twister Pure Copper Fan. This was in my other machine and was getting 43 degrees on the same CPU and spec machine (identical) running at 1200rpb. This one is going mad and the cpu is hitting 71!! What has changed??

At first i thoughtit was the thermal paste, i changed that. Its been running for 10 minutes. How long does it take to get going??

I now have suspicions that it is due to the bracket under the board not being the one supplied. They are exactly the same but could there be a mm difference between the contact from the heatsink to the CPU??

PLEASE HELP BEFORE MY HOUSE BLOWS UP!!

More about : needed urgently changed fan overheating

a b à CPUs
July 14, 2006 10:35:38 PM

a 1mm difference in the height of the heatsink would certainly produce these temps. That's why when you swap heatsinks with custom mounting brackets, you ALWAYS move the mounting bracket to the same system as the heatsink it goes with.

Edit: If temps are still a problem after you get this mounted properly, pick up a Zalman CNPS9500 This is of course assuming your case has enough room for it. Standard ATX mid-tower cases should have enough room. And if you're not already using this, pick up some Arctic Silver 5 as well.
July 15, 2006 8:04:07 AM

Thanks

Now i have placed my old heatsink back on and i am getting higher temps!!

Could it be due to me not cleaning surfaces with alcohol? I only used a kitchen towel then a microfibre cloth.

Now hitting 60 alot more often at idle.

Heatsink paste has changed but this heatsink paste is good
Related resources
July 15, 2006 8:27:05 AM

well, first off, heatsinks work by increasing the surface area of the processor (much like a suflay pan... or however you spell it) so a mm of space will seriously mess it up. Try to apply a VERY small ammount of arctic silver 5, by very little I mean about a half of a grain of rice's amount. Then press the heatsink on as tightly to the processors heat spreader as possible.

This should be more than enough cooling for it.

Ohh, make sure that your heatsinks arent dusty and that you have a good supply of air going through your case.
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2006 8:30:12 AM

actually... the proper way to apply AS 5 is to spread it around before attaching the heatsink to the board. AS 5 doesn't run or bleed, so when you put a glob in the middle of the heatsink.... it stays there. It's much more effective if you spread it around first.

Here's the exact method I use to determine if i have applied too much or too little AS 5.

1. put some AS 5 in the middle of the heatsink (NOT the processor... ALWAYS apply to the heatsink) and spread it around until it covers the entire base of the heatsink. When you look at the base face on, you shouldn't be able to see any of the aluminum or copper of the base. Move on to #2 only after you can no longer see the HS base material.

2. Look at the base of the heatsink edge on. If you can't see the layer of AS 5 you have just applied and spread around, you have applied the right amount.
July 15, 2006 8:38:48 AM

Ok and do i need to clean the surfaces with alcohol? As the copper heatsink had ceramic paste on it the one i am now using is metal. I did clean it with tissue and microfibre but not alcohol. There is no gap. I think contact is being made.
July 15, 2006 8:40:19 AM

notice that the thermal conductance rating is set at 0.001 inches? Yah, dont put too much, any conductor is an insulator if you follow basic electronics, and with too much of any conductor the resistance increases.

Your main objective is to evenly create contact between the heatspreader and the bottom of your heatsink with as little thermal transfer medium as possible.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions....

Goto instruction number nine.

"On an Intel P4 or Athlon64 type CPU with a large metal heat spreader, put a small amount of Arctic Silver onto the center of the heat spreader as shown in the photo.

Only a small amount of Arctic Silver is needed

P4- About the size of an uncooked grain of short-grain white rice or 1/2 of a BB.

Athlon64- About the size of one and a half uncooked grains of short-grain white rice or 3/4 of a BB."

Severeon-FTW!
July 15, 2006 8:43:52 AM

cleaning the surface will help, but after you clean the surface, if you are using a macro grain substance such as a ceramic compound, you should 'burnish' the surface of your processor and heatsink.

This is the process of spreading a large amount of thermal compound over the top of the processor and bottom of the heatsink and then slowly, using a microfiber rag, work the substance onto the surfaces as if you were waxing a car (small circles) do this untill you have visibly removed the substance.

This will fill in the microscopic imperfections in the finishes of the heatsink and proc.
July 15, 2006 8:49:19 AM

Is ceramic better or metal based? I have a ceramic and it seems really solid like wet playdoh lol is that right?? It doesnt spread easily at all.
July 15, 2006 8:53:41 AM

well, that is in debate. A ceramic is very interesting in the fact that it can be made to be better than any single element, for thermal conductance that is. It is also non-conductive which is a plus (atleast artic silver's ceramic is).

But, for the mean time silver based compounds with small particles are the best. And the substance that I have came too after about 4 others is arctic silver 5.

For a more clear picture, follow this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conductivity#Some_...
The purified synthetic diamond is a ceramic btw.

But, silver is the most effective material that is reasonably priced.
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2006 8:55:52 AM

Quote:
But, silver is the most effective material that is reasonably priced.

on that note.... pick up some of this
July 15, 2006 8:57:20 AM

*applause* HEAR HEAR my good man :D 

That was my next train of thought :p 
July 15, 2006 8:58:58 AM

OK. What should i clean with? Any personal recommendations as Artic Silver give way too many!! lol
July 15, 2006 9:02:51 AM

99% pure isopropyl alcohol if you can get it. You are wanting to get rid of everything, including the solvent you are using to clean it with. If that is unavaliable to you, I would clean it with what ever isopropyl alcohol you have avaliable, then burnish the cpu, then apply the final thermal paste.
July 15, 2006 9:05:31 AM

What am i burnishing with?
July 15, 2006 9:11:26 AM

I have nail varnish remover. This contains acetone,aquatriglycerides of ricinoleic acid and denatonium benzonate. It also says keey away from heat! lol will that do??
July 15, 2006 9:12:31 AM

oops! sorry for not being clear. You burnish the processor with the same ceramic that you will use as the transfer medium. So, you clean, burnish with ceramic, wipe off (DO NOT CLEAN AGAIN WITH ALCOHOL), then apply a small amount in the center of the processor, as stated in the instructions.
July 15, 2006 9:13:38 AM

I am using a metal based compound not ceramic?? :roll: lol
July 15, 2006 9:13:40 AM

you shouldnt clean with nail polish, it has extra chemicals in it that will stay and be a resistor to thermal transfer, nail polish was specificly pointed out by artic silver as a bad cleaner.
July 15, 2006 9:14:27 AM

Yep i noticed that thats why i thought id ask first. So i need to get that alcohol stuff.
!
preceding