HDD CRASH - Help please

I need to replace the Hard Disc on my mum's PC and
reinstall XP Home. Trouble is, she can't find her disc
or licence number anywhere.
Can I install using another copy of XP Home and can I get
the licence number from anywhere? Here existing HDD
works intermittently so I amy be able to interrogate teh
registry in case it is stored somewhere there. Obviously
I'll have to authenticate it afterwards.

Any help/advice appreciated.
Thank you
4 answers Last reply
More about crash please

    In news:291901c4aa04$09a70b70$a301280a@phx.gbl,
    Brian Gold <MSMail@Briangold.co.uk> typed:

    >I need to replace the Hard Disc on my mum's PC and
    > reinstall XP Home. Trouble is, she can't find her disc
    > or licence number anywhere.
    > Can I install using another copy of XP Home and can I get
    > the licence number from anywhere? Here existing HDD
    > works intermittently so I amy be able to interrogate teh
    > registry in case it is stored somewhere there. Obviously
    > I'll have to authenticate it afterwards.

    It's not in the registry. You can find the Product key with any
    of these:

    ViewKeyXP www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/ViewKeyXP.exe (for Retail
    versions only, and for pre-SP2 versions only)

    AIDA32 http://www.aumha.org/freeware.htm

    Everest http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1

    Magical Jellybean www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

    Belarc Advisor www.belarc.com/free_download.html

    Also note that you can use her existing product key only with
    another CD of the same type: Full, Retail, or Generic OEM.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    You will be able to get replacement key from Microsoft.
    However you may need the CD, so as to install XP.

    You may try installing XP from the the disc that you have
    abd obtain a new license key from Microsoft. If you
    received this copy of XP from hardware manufacturer(like
    Dell, HP ... etc.) you may first want to approach the
    hardware manufacturer. If you are not able to get help
    from Hardware manufacturer you may still contact
    Microsoft, and I am sure they will be able to guide you
    through.

    You may contact Microsoft at 1-800-936-4900, if you are
    in US.

    Regads,
    Krishna Prabhu

    I thought the licence number was on a sticker on the top of the computer.
    My computer builder put it there.

    "Brian Gold" <MSMail@Briangold.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I need to replace the Hard Disc on my mum's PC and
    > reinstall XP Home. Trouble is, she can't find her disc
    > or licence number anywhere.
    > Can I install using another copy of XP Home and can I get
    > the licence number from anywhere? Here existing HDD
    > works intermittently so I amy be able to interrogate teh
    > registry in case it is stored somewhere there. Obviously
    > I'll have to authenticate it afterwards.
    >
    > Any help/advice appreciated.
    > Thank you

    This app works in XP SP2:

    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/

    "Brian Gold" <MSMail@Briangold.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I need to replace the Hard Disc on my mum's PC and
    > reinstall XP Home. Trouble is, she can't find her disc
    > or licence number anywhere.
    > Can I install using another copy of XP Home and can I get
    > the licence number from anywhere? Here existing HDD
    > works intermittently so I amy be able to interrogate teh
    > registry in case it is stored somewhere there. Obviously
    > I'll have to authenticate it afterwards.
    >
    > Any help/advice appreciated.
    > Thank you

Hard Drives Windows XP