HDD CRASH - Help please

October 4, 2004 8:19:39 AM

I need to replace the Hard Disc on my mum's PC and
reinstall XP Home. Trouble is, she can't find her disc
or licence number anywhere.
Can I install using another copy of XP Home and can I get
the licence number from anywhere? Here existing HDD
works intermittently so I amy be able to interrogate teh
registry in case it is stored somewhere there. Obviously
I'll have to authenticate it afterwards.

Any help/advice appreciated.
Thank you

More about : hdd crash

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 1:06:21 PM

In news:291901c4aa04$09a70b70$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Brian Gold <MSMail@Briangold.co.uk> typed:

>I need to replace the Hard Disc on my mum's PC and
> reinstall XP Home. Trouble is, she can't find her disc
> or licence number anywhere.
> Can I install using another copy of XP Home and can I get
> the licence number from anywhere? Here existing HDD
> works intermittently so I amy be able to interrogate teh
> registry in case it is stored somewhere there. Obviously
> I'll have to authenticate it afterwards.

It's not in the registry. You can find the Product key with any
of these:

ViewKeyXP www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/ViewKeyXP.exe (for Retail
versions only, and for pre-SP2 versions only)

AIDA32 http://www.aumha.org/freeware.htm

Everest http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1

Magical Jellybean www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Belarc Advisor www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Also note that you can use her existing product key only with
another CD of the same type: Full, Retail, or Generic OEM.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 1:13:34 PM

You will be able to get replacement key from Microsoft.
However you may need the CD, so as to install XP.

You may try installing XP from the the disc that you have
abd obtain a new license key from Microsoft. If you
received this copy of XP from hardware manufacturer(like
Dell, HP ... etc.) you may first want to approach the
hardware manufacturer. If you are not able to get help
from Hardware manufacturer you may still contact
Microsoft, and I am sure they will be able to guide you
through.

You may contact Microsoft at 1-800-936-4900, if you are
in US.

Regads,
Krishna Prabhu

October 4, 2004 10:39:47 PM

I thought the licence number was on a sticker on the top of the computer.
My computer builder put it there.

"Brian Gold" <MSMail@Briangold.co.uk> wrote in message
>I need to replace the Hard Disc on my mum's PC and
> reinstall XP Home. Trouble is, she can't find her disc
> or licence number anywhere.
> Can I install using another copy of XP Home and can I get
> the licence number from anywhere? Here existing HDD
> works intermittently so I amy be able to interrogate teh
> registry in case it is stored somewhere there. Obviously
> I'll have to authenticate it afterwards.
>
> Any help/advice appreciated.
> Thank you
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 6:34:56 AM