Unable to remove Active Directory from server due to a pro..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 3, 2005 6:19:03 PM

I have a server that i attempted to remove active directory on. It stops in
the middle of the removal and pops up a message "Isass.exe has to be
terminated or aborted, the memory could not be read. To terminate click ok,
to debug click cancel" With either of those choices, the computer seems to
continue uninstalling but then then two error windows popup. The first
saying the remote procedute call failed. The second is a System Shutdown box,
with a timer" I need to remove active directory and rebuild it. Do I need
to reformat the hardrive? By the way I was using dcpromo/forceremoval.
Christian Gutierrez
IT Intermediate
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 12:46:16 AM

Christian,

I was going to suggest that you use the /forceremoval switch but it seems by
the last sentence that you are. Have you been able to run an A/V program on
your system? It sounds like there might be a virus.

You might want to simply unplug it and then format the hard drives really
well and then reinstall WIN2000 and then run dcpromo. But, there is still
the problem of removing the 'old' Domain Controller. You are going to start
seeing error messages about failed replication and whatnot. You might also
see problems if the 'old' Domain Controller holds any of the five FSMO
Roles. To make sure that this does not happen you might want to first
transfer any FSMO Roles that the 'old' Domain Controller holds to an
existing Domain Controller and then run a MetaData Cleanup. There is
information all over the place on how to do this.....

I assume that you have other Domain Controllers in your environment?

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Cgutierrez" <cgutierrez@niskersrehab.com.(dontyoudarespam)> wrote in
message news:7522C5AD-6C33-41FB-BD88-894D40A32C61@microsoft.com...
>I have a server that i attempted to remove active directory on. It stops
>in
> the middle of the removal and pops up a message "Isass.exe has to be
> terminated or aborted, the memory could not be read. To terminate click
> ok,
> to debug click cancel" With either of those choices, the computer seems
> continue uninstalling but then then two error windows popup. The first
> saying the remote procedute call failed. The second is a System Shutdown
> box,
> with a timer" I need to remove active directory and rebuild it. Do I
> need
> to reformat the hardrive? By the way I was using dcpromo/forceremoval.
> Christian Gutierrez
> IT Intermediate
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 11:06:02 AM

I just backed up the apps and the documents and formated the drive. It's
working fine now. I don't know what happened. I have only one domain
controller. Thanks for your help.
--
Christian Gutierrez
IT Intermediate