Unable to remove Active Directory from server due to a pro..

I have a server that i attempted to remove active directory on. It stops in
the middle of the removal and pops up a message "Isass.exe has to be
terminated or aborted, the memory could not be read. To terminate click ok,
to debug click cancel" With either of those choices, the computer seems to
continue uninstalling but then then two error windows popup. The first
saying the remote procedute call failed. The second is a System Shutdown box,
with a timer" I need to remove active directory and rebuild it. Do I need
to reformat the hardrive? By the way I was using dcpromo/forceremoval.
Christian Gutierrez
IT Intermediate
2 answers Last reply
More about unable remove active directory server

    Christian,

    I was going to suggest that you use the /forceremoval switch but it seems by
    the last sentence that you are. Have you been able to run an A/V program on
    your system? It sounds like there might be a virus.

    You might want to simply unplug it and then format the hard drives really
    well and then reinstall WIN2000 and then run dcpromo. But, there is still
    the problem of removing the 'old' Domain Controller. You are going to start
    seeing error messages about failed replication and whatnot. You might also
    see problems if the 'old' Domain Controller holds any of the five FSMO
    Roles. To make sure that this does not happen you might want to first
    transfer any FSMO Roles that the 'old' Domain Controller holds to an
    existing Domain Controller and then run a MetaData Cleanup. There is
    information all over the place on how to do this.....

    I assume that you have other Domain Controllers in your environment?

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24012

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Cgutierrez" <cgutierrez@niskersrehab.com.(dontyoudarespam)> wrote in
    message news:7522C5AD-6C33-41FB-BD88-894D40A32C61@microsoft.com...
    >I have a server that i attempted to remove active directory on. It stops
    >in
    > the middle of the removal and pops up a message "Isass.exe has to be
    > terminated or aborted, the memory could not be read. To terminate click
    > ok,
    > to debug click cancel" With either of those choices, the computer seems
    > continue uninstalling but then then two error windows popup. The first
    > saying the remote procedute call failed. The second is a System Shutdown
    > box,
    > with a timer" I need to remove active directory and rebuild it. Do I
    > need
    > to reformat the hardrive? By the way I was using dcpromo/forceremoval.
    > Christian Gutierrez
    > IT Intermediate

    I just backed up the apps and the documents and formated the drive. It's
    working fine now. I don't know what happened. I have only one domain
    controller. Thanks for your help.
    --
    Christian Gutierrez
    IT Intermediate

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

    > Christian,
    >
    > I was going to suggest that you use the /forceremoval switch but it seems by
    > the last sentence that you are. Have you been able to run an A/V program on
    > your system? It sounds like there might be a virus.
    >
    > You might want to simply unplug it and then format the hard drives really
    > well and then reinstall WIN2000 and then run dcpromo. But, there is still
    > the problem of removing the 'old' Domain Controller. You are going to start
    > seeing error messages about failed replication and whatnot. You might also
    > see problems if the 'old' Domain Controller holds any of the five FSMO
    > Roles. To make sure that this does not happen you might want to first
    > transfer any FSMO Roles that the 'old' Domain Controller holds to an
    > existing Domain Controller and then run a MetaData Cleanup. There is
    > information all over the place on how to do this.....
    >
    > I assume that you have other Domain Controllers in your environment?
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24012
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "Cgutierrez" <cgutierrez@niskersrehab.com.(dontyoudarespam)> wrote in
    > message news:7522C5AD-6C33-41FB-BD88-894D40A32C61@microsoft.com...
    > >I have a server that i attempted to remove active directory on. It stops
    > >in
    > > the middle of the removal and pops up a message "Isass.exe has to be
    > > terminated or aborted, the memory could not be read. To terminate click
    > > ok,
    > > to debug click cancel" With either of those choices, the computer seems
    > > continue uninstalling but then then two error windows popup. The first
    > > saying the remote procedute call failed. The second is a System Shutdown
    > > box,
    > > with a timer" I need to remove active directory and rebuild it. Do I
    > > need
    > > to reformat the hardrive? By the way I was using dcpromo/forceremoval.
    > > Christian Gutierrez
    > > IT Intermediate

Active Directory Servers Windows