Newegg X1800XT, no anti static bag, card looks used

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Bought a Sapphire X1800XT 256MB off of newegg and the card has been used/tested by looks. The card came without a static bag and there are indents on the DVI ports where a cable has evidently been connected.

The Sapphire seals on the box were also clearly unstuck. The version I bought was full retail and not OEM. Also... the box is that of a 512MB version but with shiny stickers stuck over saying 256MB not 512MB

Should I contact newegg or sapphire about this? I cant test if it works for about a week or two.... Surely sending computer components without a static bag is not good?? It has a kind of styrofoam sheet over it which has actually started to get torn apart buy the sharp bits on the underside of the card...

Can anyone explain this? first time order from newegg, first sapphire product. not happy.

Unium

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I agree, get on Newegg's back and get a 1900xt. There's no point in contacting Sapphire. Newegg did something with it obviously, it should have been in some type of anti-static container or bag and sealed. Take some pictures of how you received it for evidence or something :).

Unium

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I would imagine so. It's at least worth a shot in my opinion. If I was newegg and got caught trying to sell used goods as retail and someone made a fuss about it I would want to shut them up haha. No matter what you do you should at least get a new 1800xt.

pauldh

Illustrious
That is really odd. Are you sure you didn't buy an "Open Box" card?

If it was an Open Box (refurb), all you can do is test it right away to make sure it works. You have 15days to RMA it if it is bad.

If it was a NEW card, simply call Newegg and explain the situation. They will replace it with a new card and probably even cover shipping costs themselves in such a case.

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
item was bought retail, full retqil.

I dont really care to test it... Id need to get somone in town to do it...

Even if it works it may have been overclocked/run on unnoficial drivers which would void my warranty and give me no future support.

Missed the newegg open hours by 10 minutes yesterday.... have to wait to monday

zimberto

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I bought a "new" OEM Opteron from them a while back and when I got it it looked as though someone had been whacking it with a chisel. I complained to NewEgg and their customer relations dept. went into overdrive. I received about 3 phone calls all apologizing for the problem, and they ended up offering me a $20 gift certificate, which I accepted. I can't say I was happy, but the cpu overclocked nicely so I kept it.

The bottom line here is that I got the distinct impression that this was not an uncommon problem for NewEgg. I would definitely complain.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
That's why I buy from TigerDirect.

:)

I've had more problems with Tiger Direct than anyone else. I ordered a motherboard/CPU combo from them once... just fora cheap box. It all came in the motherboard box with the heatsink strapped in and the box bulging out and ripping...

BRILLIANT!
32294.jpg

EDIT: not in reference to you Cheese, in reference to Tiger Direct or whoever the people were that packaged it :)

Cheese

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Why'd you even bother to post that. The guy posted above newegg shipped him shoddy parts in crappy wrapping and you're saying TigerDirect is bad because you got the same deal. You're comparing apples to apples. All Internet companies fuck up every now and then, I like TigerDirect because I've found their prices to be better and shipping faster.

Newegg has more selection and different products though.

Word.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
. You're comparing apples to apples. .

As opposed to comparing apples to oranges? I know I am, I'm just saying that Tiger Direct tends to have their problems too, and from what I hear, more problems than Newegg *shrugs* That's my personal experience too.

Cheese

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
TigerDirect seriously needs to work on their reviewing system though. Newegg shines with that.

We could combine companies and make TigerEgg.com
Let the lawsuits fly!

Word. :evil:

pauldh

Illustrious
Wow, TigerDirect is far below Newegg IMO. My Tiger history goes back many years. Maybe they have improved, but their customer/tech support used to be a joke.

Here's my best example: I once ordered a 440BX Celeron Combo from Tiger. The Soyo mobo did not come with the proper sepp retension mechanism that the celeron and later P3's used. It wasn't even the univeral mechanism but rather just a Secc2 PII retension mechanism; incompatible with the celeron I got from them. It took many calls to Tiger to where their final solution it was recommended I just stick the cpu in the slot without a retension mechanism because "that's what they do". I basically laughed and said something of the sort "you've gotta be joking right? alrighty then, I'll get it elsewhere" I ended up having a hard time getting it and finally ordered a few from digikey. Anyway, that delayed me a few weeks and gave me a super negative opinion of their support credibility.

newegg is pretty top notch IMO, only online site with better support is Buy.com where you can get a full refund and they pay the shipping.

Actually, they will pay up to $25 in return shipping I believe, but you do have to ask for it.

Okay, that's nice to know now.

I don't think they had that policy 4 years ago since I complained that I had to pay shipment for a defective product both ways. After a very quick chat with a supervisor, Newegg agreed to ship a replacement mobo of my choice for free if I placed the order with him over the phone.

I thought it was kinda strange to place an order with Customer Support, but I got my replacement mobo without having to pay for shipping. And there were no mysterious charges on my credit card too.

Tiger Direct equals bad. Read on:

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to a pattern of unanswered complaints.

Specifically our files show a pattern of complaints alleging dissatisfaction with product quality, failure to deliver promised goods, service issues, misrepresentation in advertising and marketing practices and the failure to address and overcome the basic cause of complaints brought to their attention by the Better Business Bureau.

Complaints allege customers are led to believe they are buying new, Brand Name computer systems, parts and other products with either a 90-day, or 1 year warranty. Complainants allege they are receiving generic, defective and refurbished items and only a 30-day warranty with the option to purchase the 1-year warranty. Customers who purchase the warranty also experience difficulty in getting return phone calls to get the problems fixed or replaced. Customer are told they may return the items for replacement, but they will need to pay again for the replacement and will credited back when the item is returned and received by the company.

http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/nis/newsearch2.asp?ID=1&strBCode=06330000&ComID=0633000027000500

Newegg has a AAA (tripe A) ratiing:

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=13146135

Newegg goody goody.

EDIT: Stop editing my post.

call new egg and get a manager on the phone,start the conversation with"I am very very upset with this",its obvious they sent an open box,before you call double check your order and make sure it was full retail ,not open box.
keep in mind those mistakes are not neweggs intent,and the guy who made the mistake should be reprimaned,for bieng careless.it could have been the packer,or the invoice dept.

Yeah, and OP has one year from Newegg to return it for replacement for full refund. Not from Sapphire or whomever, from Newegg.

My online company had a AA rating there. Our family business was a member of BBB for years. I have contacted the BBB and had help assisting me in getting Mfg. rebates (Sony) in the past. In adition, if you have a problem with an online retailer, or any retailer for that matter, contact the Attorney General's ofice in your state. Tanks again.