My encumberance is 10lbs. off?

Hi all,

Weird problem - just to see what would happen, I dropped all items in my
inventory (except for keys). Now, when I pick up something that weighs 25,
my encumberance only shows 15. This is obviously wrong, and I seem to
remember a thread about a month (?) ago dealing with this, but I can't for
the life of me remember the fix.

Anyone?

Cheers,
-joe.

Dyslexics of the world, untie!

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 20:17:42 +1000, Joe Mama
<none@all.causeidontlikespam.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Weird problem - just to see what would happen, I dropped all items in my
> inventory (except for keys). Now, when I pick up something that weighs
> 25, my encumberance only shows 15. This is obviously wrong, and I seem
> to remember a thread about a month (?) ago dealing with this, but I
> can't for the life of me remember the fix.

That was the "Fixing messed encumberance?" thread. Here's a copy; all
credit
goes to CJ:

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:11:27 +0200, Peter Strempel
<peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> is it possible to reset the encumberance of a character somehow? My
> character currently carries an awful lot of stuff and encumberance
> displays something like 40/500. Dropping everything, encumberance shows
> 0/500. Taking a 40 lb (or whatever the metrics are) weapon, encumberance
> still shows 0/500. Encumberance goes up above 0 again after lifting up
> ~300 lb, so seems the base value (however it is calculated) is negative.
> Is there a way to reset the encumberance base value or force a
> recalculation with a console command, mod or otherwise? A google search
> revealed two pointers to the same problem, but the "solution" suggested
> was to create a new character. I'm looking for something more subtle.
> Peter

Yes, this can be done. Unfortunately, it's easier to fix the problem
if you are "overweight" as opposed to "underweight."

That is, if your character is holding nothing and the game says you
have 600 encumbrance, you can open the console and type the following
commands:

player->additem "misc_com_bottle_01" 1

player->removeitem "misc_com_bottle_01" 601

The reason this works is that when you remove an item from a console
command, your encumbrance is adjusted even if you don't have that many
items on you. So therefore the above commands will LOWER your
encumbrance by 600.

** However **

It seems like your problem is that your need to RAISE your
encumbrance. The first thing you need to figure out is how much. So
therefore, you need to pick up items until your encumbrance goes
positive and figure out how much you are off by.

For example, if you keep picking up items until your encumbrance shows
10, then you need to add up the weight of all the items you are
currently carrying. Let's say they all add up to 210. Well then we
know we have to increase your encumbrance by 200.

Now, this is where it gets a little harder but not too bad.

You have to start the morrowind editor and create a new mod. For your
new mod, find an item like the "misc_com_bottle_01" and then you have
to change the weight of that item in the toolset by the amount that
you need to fix your encumbrance. That is, if you need to add 200 to
your character, then adjust the weight of the bottle by 200 - thus
making the total weight 201. Save your mod as something like
"encfix.esp"

Ok - now, start the game and select your new "encfix.esp" mod as one
of the data files.

Once you've done that, open the console and give yourself exactly one
of the item that you changed the wieght one. If you used the item
above, type:

player->additem "misc_com_bottle_01" 1

Now save the game. Exit morrowind and REMOVE your mod from the list
of data file. Start the game back up and now your encumbracne will be
fixed!

Why is that?

Well when your mod was active, the bottle in your inventory weighed
201. Now, when your mod is off, the bottle only weighs 1 - but your
total encumbrance has remained the same because the game only
calculates total encumbrance when you add or drop an item.

Hope this helps!

That's the one! Thanks muchly. All fixed up now.

:^)>

-joe.

I must be lost: I've passed the point of no return
three times in the last hour.