second build, won't power up :(

c3r1h5

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Hey guys, I just finished building my computer (thanks shadowduck), but it won't power up.

The green LED on the motherboard turns on, but that is it. I don't know what the source of the problem is. I'm guessing it's the power supply, and was wondering if it could be the processor (I really hope not).

Any advice is appreciated :)... Here are the specs:

Antec Performance I P180

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Windsor 2000MHz HT Socket AM2

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS

eVGA 256-P2-N567 Geforce 7900GT KO Superclocked 256MB

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Model ND-3550A

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Thermaltake VENUS 12 80mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)

1. Make sure you hooked up the wires for the power switch correctly to the board's front panel block.

2. If you try every possible orientation for the wires of the front panel switch and it still won't turn on, reseat the main power lead from the power supply.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hey guys, I just finished building my cpu, but it won't power up.

The green LED on the motherboard turns on, but that is it. I don't know what the source of the problem is. I'm guessing it's the power supply, and was wondering if it could be the processor (I really hope not).

1) To avoid future flames from noobs and dumb posters, its a computer- the CPU refers to the processor only.

2) Make sure your motherboard is not shorting out. Make sure everything there is a standoff (the gold things) screwed into the case, its actually under a hole in the board where a screw goes.

3) Provide more information. Do the fans spin? Does your dvd activity light flash?

4) Did you actually plug in the power switch jumper cap covering the proper pins on the motherboard?[/quote]

scottman

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Question for you. Does it make any beeps when you try to boot up?
Is the fan on the power supply spinning?
Is the hard drive brand new, used, unsure?
Does it boot up to the bios?
Check all cables. Check slave/master cables/pins.
Check video card. Run windiag.exe to ck memory from Dos
Verify parts compatability.
You probbaly know this but, new hard drives have to be partitioned and formatted. Used drives from other systems need a fresh copy of windows installed when booting up.

I think alittle more info might help the experts here figure out the problem. Good Luck

c3r1h5

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Prophecy - I used the image provided by Asus to install the wires for the front panel block. I then tried different orientations and still no luck.

Shadowduck - 1) thanks for tip...
2) The screws for the motherboard are all properly placed.
3) The only power that I notice is the green LED being on. The fans don't spin, and there's no dvd activity light. No other lights. No sounds, nothing is booting up. Only the green LED... that's it. No BIOS.
4) All of the power switches are properly connected to the motherboard.

All of the products are brand new.

One noob question, the 24 pin connector only has 23 wires going to it. I read that there is a dummy pin is that correct? Or should I actually have 24 wires?

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
when my mobo was on (light) and fans spun for the 1st time i every built anyhting was because of my power supply connector. it had 20 pins, however the motherboard was 24pins. i found out (after buying a 20-24pin connector) that there are 4 pins attatched to the PSU 20 pin connector that just needed to be fitted to make it 24...

-maybe PSU connector
-possibly RAM or another piece of hardware compatability issue
-CPU/HSF?
-memory installed?
-set your hard drive that has OS to "Master (with pins) and change any other pins on other drives
----------
small helpful reminders:
-make sure all the headers are properly connected (audio/usb/speak/pwr led/hd led/reset/pwr btn/ fan/cd audio in/spdif 'optional'/)
-install cpu & fan
-intall memory
-install expansion cards
-connect IDE and floppy cables, front/back panel cables
-connect ATX power cable

c3r1h5

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Well, badge was right. I decided to switch the power sw and the reset sw connectors on the motherboard and it finally booted up. I now use the reset button to power up my computer (temporarily). Now, I just have to fix my other problem installing my linksys router... but that's for another forum

Thanks for all of the help!

Well, badge was right. I decided to switch the power sw and the reset sw connectors on the motherboard and it finally booted up. I know use the reset button to power up my computer (just temporary). Now, I just have to fix my other problem installing my linksys router... but that's for another forum

Thanks for all of the help!

Ta da! :D