I need to Add An entry to Hosts/LMHosts files....

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 4, 2005 1:57:15 AM

Due to some issues with our mail server I needed to create an outside
address with the same internal name. This has some issues with users that
make a VPN connection to the Office and use Outlook 2003.

Outlook will Cache the Address for the mail server, and if it does this
while the VPN dropped and is not connected it caches the External Address
and cannot connect.

I want to Hard code the Mail Server IP Address and Name in the Hosts/LMHosts
files.

Is there a GP or script I can run when the user logs into the network to add
the entries to the two files?

Thanks,
Scott<-
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 11:01:20 PM

Scott Townsend wrote:
> Due to some issues with our mail server I needed to create an outside
> address with the same internal name. This has some issues with users that
> make a VPN connection to the Office and use Outlook 2003.
>
> Outlook will Cache the Address for the mail server, and if it does this
> while the VPN dropped and is not connected it caches the External Address
> and cannot connect.
>

> I want to Hard code the Mail Server IP Address and Name in the Hosts/LMHosts
> files.
>
> Is there a GP or script I can run when the user logs into the network to add
> the entries to the two files?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott<-

You could create a logon script that does this (via a batch file) by
copying the file from a network location and adding it to the group
policy object as a logon script
!