Sign in with
Your question

core 2 duo question/help!

Last response: in CPUs
July 15, 2006 12:42:35 AM

hey guys, just ordered a sony sz with the 1.8 duo, whats going to be the diffrence btw the duo and the duo 2? should I try and return it for the core 2 or is it not worth the hastle? whats going on with it??? ahhh i havent seen a comparison btw the two chips really.

More about : core duo question

July 15, 2006 12:49:48 AM

Quote:
hey guys, just ordered a sony sz with the 1.8 duo, whats going to be the diffrence btw the duo and the duo 2? should I try and return it for the core 2 or is it not worth the hastle? whats going on with it??? ahhh i havent seen a comparison btw the two chips really.

Core and Core 2 are not that far apart. I assume you got a laptop, so you may as well stick with it since the COre 2 laptop chip isn't due until next month.

You got a good buy.
July 15, 2006 11:33:57 AM

i figured, I just had not seen a head to head with the core and core 2 so I was wondering about the diffrence in the benchmarks
Related resources
July 15, 2006 1:02:23 PM

I talked without someone at a computer repair firm, and he told me one of his competitors or friends bought a bunch of Sonys for his business. After a lot of problems with them, he got rid of them. I asked someone which computers are the best, and I think that the "expert" said custom is the best and then Sony is. Sony looks severely overpriced, just like Apple.
July 15, 2006 1:21:05 PM

Sonys are more expensive then lets say a comparable dell.
July 15, 2006 3:29:27 PM

that maybe true but I found that the SZ seemed to meet my needs very well; super light, dedicated graphics with the Nvidia Go or the integrated with the onboard( by way of the selector switch), pretty good battery Life, great screen with the premium, etc. I think it should be a great notebook for me, i am just about to start law school and I need something light but didn’t want something to weak.
July 15, 2006 3:35:49 PM

Quote:
that maybe true but I found that the SZ seemed to meet my needs very well; super light, dedicated graphics with the Nvidia Go or the integrated with the onboard( by way of the selector switch), pretty good battery Life, great screen with the premium, etc. I think it should be a great notebook for me, i am just about to start law school and I need something light but didn’t want something to weak.

A Core - is it Core Duo? - with GeForce Go will let you play games and run fast enough to last through your first few years.
July 15, 2006 6:53:40 PM

yea its a core duo, the 1.83 version of it
July 15, 2006 7:17:28 PM

Is it the "Yonah" that you have?

That would be the 478 socket version, with 2MB L2 cache:

NewEgg Core Duo T2400

The Core 2 Duo is socket 775 4MB L2 cache, that needs 965-975 chipset, if I remember correctly.
July 15, 2006 7:38:07 PM

Quote:
Is it the "Yonah" that you have?

That would be the 478 socket version, with 2MB L2 cache:

NewEgg Core Duo T2400

The Core 2 Duo is socket 775 4MB L2 cache, that needs 965-975 chipset, if I remember correctly.

Only the 4Megabyte one needs 965 and or 975special revision. The slower speed 2 megabytes i think are compatable with all 9XX oe anything beyond 920. i think too. correct me if im wrong.
July 15, 2006 7:43:03 PM

Well the main difference is the socket.

There are Core 2 duo's with 2MB L2 cache, but they are 775 sockets.

The Core duo (Yonah) is 478 from what I understand.
July 15, 2006 7:50:02 PM

Quote:
Well the main difference is the socket.

There are Core 2 duo's with 2MB L2 cache, but they are 775 sockets.

The Core duo (Yonah) is 478 from what I understand.
Ofcourse the Core Duo were ment for the 478 socket Lappys and the Core 2(all memrom and Conroe are LG775 not sure bout the Woodcrest socket types
July 15, 2006 7:55:26 PM

I thought laptops were 479 instead of 478. Not too sure, heh.

Woodcrest is a socket 771

Not sure about Memrom Spec's.

Edit:

Errr... 479 are laptop version CPU's. :lol: 

Just based upon the 478 pin.

Memrom again is Laptop version.. geesh

That is prolly the only thing about Intel I hate. All these socket versions.
July 15, 2006 8:17:14 PM

One key difference is that the Core Duo doesn't have 64 bit extensions. The Core 2 duo does. So Core = 32bit chip, Core 2 = 64 bit chip.
July 15, 2006 8:28:52 PM

Quote:
I thought laptops were 479 instead of 478. Not too sure, heh.

Woodcrest is a socket 771

Not sure about Memrom Spec's.

Edit:

Errr... 479 are laptop version CPU's. :lol: 

Just based upon the 478 pin.

Memrom again is Laptop version.. geesh

That is prolly the only thing about Intel I hate. All these socket versions.

Intels Taking Buck shots at their own foot by making everything so damn complicated with the all these different Sockets. And now They are scwing up people with the CORE 2 Duo problem and the 965-975(special revision) Intel might loose some jazz there. Because AMD is very simple to follow. Either you buy a 939 or a AM2 or Socket F thats all you need to remember. and everything will fit (notverycomplicated)
July 15, 2006 8:35:16 PM

Well I wasn't too impressed that AM2 users have to buy an AM2 CPU, but yet be stuck with 939 CPU. Was nice of them to make AM3 backwards compatable with AM2.

4x4 seems to only use FX CPU's at the moment.

So each company has its pros and cons.

It's pretty much the enthusiast problem when they want to keep up with the latest stuff, to have the fastest system.

I'm still a cheapo went it comes to upgrading. I've already spent a fortune in the past, and I'm not doing it again. :lol: 
July 15, 2006 8:42:24 PM

Quote:
Well I wasn't too impressed that AM2 users have to buy an AM2 CPU, but yet be stuck with 939 CPU. Was nice of them to make AM3 backwards compatable with AM2.

4x4 seems to only use FX CPU's at the moment.

So each company has its pros and cons.

It's pretty much the enthusiast problem when they want to keep up with the latest stuff, to have the fastest system.

I'm still a cheapo went it comes to upgrading. I've already spent a fortune in the past, and I'm not doing it again. :lol: 

They originally didn't say DC woul dconnect the sockets so it's possible that they may sit th echipset in th emiddle with 4 ports. DC would talk through the chipset so the extra ports wouldn't be necessary.

This would even allow AMD to drop the extra FX ports - unless of course they planned this all along. 65nm will allow them to make this a mainstream thing since the die will shrink enough to even add ports to X2.

When looking at all of the things THEY CAN do, it looks like a great roadmap for now-2008.
!